By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku: Switch Has Three Times As Many Games as Wii U Did At This Point - And They're Better

ArchangelMadzz said:
All the defenders of the Wii U for all these years are starting to look pretty silly..

The WiiU is dead and wasn't successful, but it had great first party exclusive games during its run. That I will defend any day.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
All the defenders of the Wii U for all these years are starting to look pretty silly..

The WiiU is dead and wasn't successful, but it had great first party exclusive games during its run. That I will defend any day.

No ones denying that there were very few and those that were saying for years it would sell decently eventually despite all logic saying other-wise are who I'm talking about.

I still remember when for years anyone who said it wouldn't sell over 20m would be told they were just Nintendoomers.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
OTBWY said:

No ones denying that there were very few and those that were saying for years it would sell decently eventually despite all logic saying other-wise are who I'm talking about.

I still remember when for years anyone who said it wouldn't sell over 20m would be told they were just Nintendoomers.

Exactly what happened with the Switch too. So here we are. It's like nobody can predict these things and we let feelings instead of logic get the better of us. Weird.

V-r0cK said:
Is it really fair to say they're better than the Wii U? Like the some of the best Switch games currently was a) remastered from the Wii U, and b) Zelda was originally meant for the Wii U.

Also, no new 2D Mario is a bummer to me. 2D Mario all the way!!! :P

Of Course it's, we talking about same time period, and Switch killing easily Wii U with big quality games and number of games for same time period in any case, actually 1st Switch year is probably best ever for any Nintendo hardware.

RolStoppable said:
numberwang said:

No...?

Yes, it was. That's why Wii U was so messed up.

Gullible Nintendo didn't realize that AAA third parties are all talk and had no real intentions to support a Nintendo console.

The Wii U is pathetically weak compared to the PS4 and Xone and difficult to develop for compared to an X86 architecture. It was also barely cheaper than the PS4 when it launched. So that yhe Wii U didnt recieve any meaningfull third party support is all thanks to Nintendo and not the fault of third parties.

If Nintendo gave it their best shot to please third parties with the Wii U. Then Nintendo should never try that again. The gamecube was targeted at third party support and didn't the gamecube get quite a few good third party titles? RE4 as the best example.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Its mostly ports though.

Its better than nothing though, notable games are being ported.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

RolStoppable said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:
3 times as much? That's impressive and I think it's fair to say that Switch owners don't have to worry about content anymore. I guess the real question now is why were there so few games on the Wii U?

Wii U was made to appease AAA third parties. Switch was made to appease the market.

The Wii U was made with a lack of vision from Nintendo who was caught daydreaming from the success of the DS and Wii.  No 3rd party in their right mind would support it (and the ones who bought Nintendo's vision regretted quickly, hence their backtrack).  Outside a couple token games (from their B development teams) it was dropped within nine months...less third party appeasement and more you trying to let Nintendo off the hook for their catastrophic failure.

Mr Puggsly said:

Its mostly ports though.

Even in terms of original titles Switch is killing Wii U

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
V-r0cK said:
Is it really fair to say they're better than the Wii U? Like the some of the best Switch games currently was a) remastered from the Wii U, and b) Zelda was originally meant for the Wii U.

Absolutely.

It doesnt matter if Mario Kart, Pokken or Zelda are ports/cross-gen, they still count as good games that Switch had early on that Wii U didnt have.

The fact that Wii U had multiple droughts in its first year while Switch had a steady flow of quality titles says it all.

Miyamotoo said:
V-r0cK said:

Of Course it's, we talking about same time period, and Switch killing easily Wii U with big quality games and number of games for same time period in any case, actually 1st Switch year is probably best ever for any Nintendo hardware.

I get what you're both saying.  But then to me that's like saying the PS4 was killing the PS3 because in a short span the PS4 had GTAV, TLoU remaster, Uncharted collection, GoW3 remaster etc.  It just doesn't sound right to me.

Wii U may have been slow at getting games, but new games on a new system takes time.  Porting a game doesn't require as much time.

zorg1000 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its mostly ports though.

Even in terms of original titles Switch is killing Wii U

If you include Indies, yes. But if not, I'm not so sure.

The indie scene was not nearly what it is today and while those games do matter, it does make this an apples to oranges comparison.

Conversely, if we remove the indie titles and make it a more straight up comparison, Wii edges Switch just a taste. I keep saying Switch and Wii are successful for the same reasons. People should listen.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000