By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 4k vs VR - what is better ?

Jaxyfoo said:
There is nothing super fantastic about clicking from 1080p to 4k. The wow factor comes from the extra textures and attentions to detail companies make use of alongside boost in power and resolution. Without those extras there are just less jaggies and a slightly smoother image.

VR on the other hand has that wow factor from the worst, least graphically impressive experiences up to the very best. We are just at a stage where we need the hardware and support increases, especially with regards to PSVR. In that regard PS5 can't come soon enough, if it also brings a bump in resolution to 2k per eye. Then there will not only be dedicated games for VR, but more mainstream games will be fully VR enabled.

4k is really nice, but VR changes the way I want to do things forever.

I disagree. I want PS5 and PSVR2 to be far far away, so that it is a huge jump over current gen vr. I dont want small jumps like with the Vive Pro.

4k per eye, wireless, long battery life, perfect inside out tracking in 2022/2023 would be perfect

Around the Network
habam said:
Jaxyfoo said:
There is nothing super fantastic about clicking from 1080p to 4k. The wow factor comes from the extra textures and attentions to detail companies make use of alongside boost in power and resolution. Without those extras there are just less jaggies and a slightly smoother image.

VR on the other hand has that wow factor from the worst, least graphically impressive experiences up to the very best. We are just at a stage where we need the hardware and support increases, especially with regards to PSVR. In that regard PS5 can't come soon enough, if it also brings a bump in resolution to 2k per eye. Then there will not only be dedicated games for VR, but more mainstream games will be fully VR enabled.

4k is really nice, but VR changes the way I want to do things forever.

I disagree. I want PS5 and PSVR2 to be far far away, so that it is a huge jump over current gen vr. I dont want small jumps like with the Vive Pro.

4k per eye, wireless, long battery life, perfect inside out tracking in 2022/2023 would be perfect

Wireless + long battery life is not going to happen in 2023. Unless you don't mind it weighing half a pound extra. 4K per eye is already possible, inside out tracking should be good in 2019 as well as pupil tracking for foveated rendering. Fall 2020 with a wire is fine.

Conina said:
habam said:

why not go directly to 8k ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHwovRCBiz0

It's no real 8K! Real 8K is 7680 x 4320 = 33 MPixel

Panel resolution of the Pimax is 2 x 3840 x 2160 = 16 MPixel

And the maximal input it can handle is 2 x 2560 x 1440 = 7.4 MPixel

Would tue human eye notice any difference between 4k and 8k in VR? 

SvennoJ said:
habam said:

Wireless + long battery life is not going to happen in 2023. Unless you don't mind it weighing half a pound extra. 4K per eye is already possible, inside out tracking should be good in 2019 as well as pupil tracking for foveated rendering. Fall 2020 with a wire is fine.

2023 is 5 year away, look at the advancemnt made to the iphone in 5 years

habam said:
SvennoJ said:

2023 is 5 year away, look at the advancemnt made to the iphone in 5 years

Apple probably spends more developing the iPhone, its infrastructure and the underlaying technology in one year than Sony has spent in its entire Playstation division over a decade.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
John2290 said:

You really hate VR don't you. Still jaded from the 90's? Time to let it go man, at least give it one more try.

No hate at all. I gave PSVR a fair shot and spent an entire weekend with a unit that I had a chance to buy for $200, and decided to give it a pass. I'll give the next version of PSVR a fair shot too. I have no intention of giving up on it. But let's be realistic here. People have been pushing VR for a long, long time.

It's just after 3 decades of hearing "VR technology is just in it's infancy! Wait till X technology or Y technology hits VR, then it'll take off" you start to consider the real possibility that it's never going to take off like people imagine.

How should anyone care for your opinion if you honestly keep on making those ridiculous comparisons and keep stating, that anything before today’s generations of user headsets, was to be taken seriously?!  😑 

No one, except you maybe, did that during the past decades. It’s a totally different ball game these days when blockbusters get ported to VR and people can and do actually buy those headsets.

AlfredoTurkey said:
NATO said:

That's a really backwards way of thinking.

Fair enough. But until a VR experience is compelling enough, I won't be interested. Right now it feels novel to me. The games with the most critical acclaim are not VR. The games that are moving the industry (BOTW,Horizon, SMO) are not VR. It's a parlor trick, not something critical to gaming. There is no OOT happening in VR... it's again... novel. It's a novelty. Something that has potential but is still in proof of concept. When that concept is realized, I'll give it a go. Until then, I'll wait. 

Two award winning games are fully playable in VR. Both are many steps up from their 2D versions.

derpysquirtle64 said:

4K obviously. VR is not that great in terms of quality right now. Though it has a potential to become a way better thing than 4K if the quality improves.

That totally depends on your perspective. If I’d have to chose between Skyrim or RE7 in VR or 4K (played all of them) I’d chose the low res non HDR VR version any day of the week.

the sense of scale and added immersion is a total game changer to me. A few added pixels are not.

John2290 said:
Kerotan said:

Apparently the Pinmax still has screen door effect so i would assume so. 8k should solve the problem, that being 8k per eye that is.

8K per eye is approximately the eye’s resolution. That said screen tech plays a huge role here. Pimax uses not very sophisticated LCD screens. Even 1 4K RGB screen for both eyes could almost eliminate the screen door effect if they’d use an RGB Matrix Screen like the PSVR uses.

Kerotan said:
Conina said:

It's no real 8K! Real 8K is 7680 x 4320 = 33 MPixel

Panel resolution of the Pimax is 2 x 3840 x 2160 = 16 MPixel

And the maximal input it can handle is 2 x 2560 x 1440 = 7.4 MPixel

Definitely. Current headsets have 110 degree fov. Normal tv viewing max 30 degree fov. So the difference between 4K and 8K per eye is comparable to 1K and 2K on a screen. Or 540p and 1080p. The human eye as 150 degree fov per eye. To get the clarity of 1080p on a screen (at recommended seating distance) you need 10K per eye. (Although with the optics putting higher pixel density towards the center, 8K should be sufficient)

As an upper limit, the human eye can tell the difference in clarity up to about 150 pixels per degree x 150 derees = 22.5K per eye! Of course the human eye can only see that kind of detail in a 3 degree cone in the center from where vision quickly degrades. Hence pupil tracking and foveated rendering will be the most important improvements going forward.

Errorist76 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Fair enough. But until a VR experience is compelling enough, I won't be interested. Right now it feels novel to me. The games with the most critical acclaim are not VR. The games that are moving the industry (BOTW,Horizon, SMO) are not VR. It's a parlor trick, not something critical to gaming. There is no OOT happening in VR... it's again... novel. It's a novelty. Something that has potential but is still in proof of concept. When that concept is realized, I'll give it a go. Until then, I'll wait. 

Two award winning games are fully playable in VR. Both are many steps up from their 2D versions.

Playable is not the same as exclusive. There's a reason they won some awards... 

Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

No hate at all. I gave PSVR a fair shot and spent an entire weekend with a unit that I had a chance to buy for $200, and decided to give it a pass. I'll give the next version of PSVR a fair shot too. I have no intention of giving up on it. But let's be realistic here. People have been pushing VR for a long, long time.

It's just after 3 decades of hearing "VR technology is just in it's infancy! Wait till X technology or Y technology hits VR, then it'll take off" you start to consider the real possibility that it's never going to take off like people imagine.

How should anyone care for your opinion if you honestly keep on making those ridiculous comparisons and keep stating, that anything before today’s generations of user headsets, was to be taken seriously?!  😑 

No one, except you maybe, did that during the past decades. It’s a totally different ball game these days when blockbusters get ported to VR and people can and do actually buy those headsets.

What comparisons have I made that are ridiculous? You do realize that everything before today's generations of user headsets demanded to be taken just as seriously as today's headsets do, and people have been advocating that the "VR experience" is "revolutionary" and "mind blowing" for decades now, right?

By blockbusters, do you mean games like Duke Nukem 3D and Quake? Because I played them both in VR in the 90's. Seriously. Take some time and go back and look into the VR technologies that were developed during the 90's and how they're not nearly as different from today's VR than you think they are.  Almost all of the problems that prevented VR from catching on in the 90's and 00's still exist in VR technology today.

Look. It's not my fault I was around for what have been multiple waves of VR popularity and have heard the same tired things said about every wave. I remember the Lawnmower man. I remember reading video game magazines about the VR headset SEGA developed for the Genesis that never came out despite full games being made specifically for it. I remember trying the VFX1 at an internet cafe for a couple of hours. I get you want to act like this wave of popularity is finally the one that breaks into mainstream because obviously this one is the revolutionary one, but pretty much every single thing I've ever seen written hying VR in the past couple years was written almost word for word in the 90s with the exact same level of sincerity. So please, excuse my hesitance to buy into the hype this time around after seeing VR come and go plenty of times before.