By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 4k vs VR - what is better ?

potato_hamster said:
John2290 said:

For someone who is giving VR every chance and willing to give it a chance again, you sure are invested enough to keep track of the bannings of a random VG charts VR evangelist. I'm having fun, a fantastic time with a new technology, I'm saying it's great. Many others are saying the same, I see more praise for it than against it. If you don't care about it or are sure it's going to fail then why are you trying to shit on our parade, so very devotedly?

It doesn't matter how much it's praised. It matters how much it's supported by both developers and fans. Its severely lacking in both fronts to this day, and it doesn't look like it's going to change in a meaningful way any time soon.

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/276316-survey-of-4-500-gdc-devs-shows-just-3-working-on-switch-titles

Around the Network
habam said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

When VR games are winning GOTY awards, I'll pay attention. 

Resident evil 7 has won some goty Awards

A VR exclusive can’t win any goty awards currently scince no magazine would give a goty award to a game just accessible to such a small Userbase. That’s why they made a category: „VR game of the year“. Vr Games arnt even considered competition, you can’t even vote for them.

that said, games like farpoint or lone echo recieved similar good user reviews as games like zelda botw. Amazon verified user reviews: farpoint with aim Controller 4,8/5; Zelda botw 4,8/5. both with more then 100 votes 

User review scores are about as as reliable as a condom made out of wax paper and a rubber band.

Aeolus451 said:
4K. It can be used with any game or film/show while VR can't.

This isnt entirely true, you can watch your videos in a virtual cinema, wouldnt be too hard to adjust the application to make it feel like playing your games in a cinema too

AlfredoTurkey said: 
habam said: 

many stuff in terms of gameplay isnt possible without vr (eg I expect you to die, Job Simulator, ...)

That's a really backwards way of thinking.

Last edited by NATO - on 05 February 2018

NATO said:
AlfredoTurkey said: 

That's a really backwards way of thinking.

Fair enough. But until a VR experience is compelling enough, I won't be interested. Right now it feels novel to me. The games with the most critical acclaim are not VR. The games that are moving the industry (BOTW,Horizon, SMO) are not VR. It's a parlor trick, not something critical to gaming. There is no OOT happening in VR... it's again... novel. It's a novelty. Something that has potential but is still in proof of concept. When that concept is realized, I'll give it a go. Until then, I'll wait. 

4K obviously. VR is not that great in terms of quality right now. Though it has a potential to become a way better thing than 4K if the quality improves.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
habam said:

Resident evil 7 has won some goty Awards

A VR exclusive can’t win any goty awards currently scince no magazine would give a goty award to a game just accessible to such a small Userbase. That’s why they made a category: „VR game of the year“. Vr Games arnt even considered competition, you can’t even vote for them.

that said, games like farpoint or lone echo recieved similar good user reviews as games like zelda botw. Amazon verified user reviews: farpoint with aim Controller 4,8/5; Zelda botw 4,8/5. both with more then 100 votes 

User review scores are about as as reliable as a condom made out of wax paper and a rubber band.

For me it’s more important what real people that own the product actually think. „Professional reviews“ are possible heavil influenced, maybe paid. If many people like a product, it’s good. If many dislike it, its bad. I don’t care what professionals think about it.

There is nothing super fantastic about clicking from 1080p to 4k. The wow factor comes from the extra textures and attentions to detail companies make use of alongside boost in power and resolution. Without those extras there are just less jaggies and a slightly smoother image.

VR on the other hand has that wow factor from the worst, least graphically impressive experiences up to the very best. We are just at a stage where we need the hardware and support increases, especially with regards to PSVR. In that regard PS5 can't come soon enough, if it also brings a bump in resolution to 2k per eye. Then there will not only be dedicated games for VR, but more mainstream games will be fully VR enabled.

4k is really nice, but VR changes the way I want to do things forever.

A broken Virtual Boy and a half-eaten snickers are better than both. So I choose that. mmmm Snickers.....

I'm not really getting the comparison, to be honest. It's apples to oranges. One is screen fidelity and the other is a means of experiencing and interacting with a game. VR will get 4K eventually.

habam said: 

For me personally:

I would prefer VR.

Never would have guessed.

But seriously, 4K doesn't make me sick, so that's my pick.