By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 4k vs VR - what is better ?

I'm not a huge VR fan YET. The technology is so young, res is so poor and there is a lack of quality content. But instead I'm choosing VR.
4K is so overrated. I bought 4k HDR TV (65 inches), upgraded to PS4 Pro with SSD, built a new rig with 1080Ti etc to enjoy gaming at full scale. And I think that it's not worth it at all. I just didn't see the big difference. I still enjoy watching movies in 1080p on my old 55 inches TV in other room, playing regular PS4 and PC on it. My opinion that 4k is soo overrated. Ok, I understand that 2160p is 4x bigger than 1080p, must be far more realistic and detailed, but not for the 65 inches TV. I think you need faaar more bigger TV or superb projector to see the significant difference.

Around the Network

4k and vr are different things. Not really a thing of one vs the other. I like them both.

Talking on Playstation, the VR is much more impressive and the difference on the immersion against regular 1080p than 4k is (several times the differences in IQ is pretty minimal from 4k to HD)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Neither,
I'll eventually buy a 4k TV because it will cost very little when I buy my next; hopefully 8-10 years from now.
I would like to try vr at a cafe or something, until I see it for myself, I'm just not sure.

NATO said:
Conina said:

Don't make me laugh, the differences of the VR headsets in the 90's and now are huge.

The Forte VFX1 had a resolution of 263x230 per eye, the modern VR headsets have a resolution of 960x1080 to 1440x1600 per eye, so 20x to 40x improvement.

The Forte VFX1 had a field of view of 45 degree, the modern VR  headsets have a resolution of 90 - 110 degrees.

The Forte VFX1 had a shitty refresh rate and a lot of lag, the modern VR  headsets have 90 - 120 Hz displays with almost no lag.

The Forte VFX1 could only use a 256 color palette and the display brightness was also shitty.

The Forte VFX1 had no positional tracking, it could only recognize pitch, roll and yaw input.

The Forte VFX1 had a weight of 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg), double of the weight of modern VR  headsets.

The controller of the Forte VFX1 (the "cyber puck") emulated a computer mouse and had no positional tracking or even sixaxis motion sensors... not the best device for VR games.

Most of the few games with VFX1-support weren't designed with VR support in mind.

Hasn't changed a bit.....  (sarcasm)

i hate to say it, but a casual glan e at rhese two pics goes against your pint...two guys in headsets, one just newer.  if i study them, yes the old unit has a lot of tethers and junk on it, but just doing my quick morning forum scan, I thougt you were being sarcastic and using the nvisual to prove nithing has changed.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

We get it...you’re traumatised and now everyone else should dislike VR as well. I get it.

You‘re comparing a market of a few thousand VR headsets to 3-4 Million nowadays. That’s ridiculous. I’ve been gaming since 35 years as well and am a total tech nerd...don’t try to fool us in telling us that some VR experiments in the last decades had anywhere close to the significance as it has today.

What? Your response is completely nonsensical. It's completely laughable how and the diehard VR fans on this site treat people that prefer to game on televisions like they're either neanderthals or hating liars.

I don't even dislike VR, and have never even so much as indicated that I didn't. Just the current VR offerings on the market aren't great, and aren't worth the price tag, and aren't anywhere close to having mass appeal or mass market acceptance doesn't mean I don't enjoy VR. My views on VR aren't controversial to anyone but the handful of people on this site that think things like "the PS5 should ship with a VR headset" or"GTA VI should be VR exclusive".

Again you’re taking things out of context, putting words in my mouth because habam made some exaggerated assumptions. How is my comment nonsensical? You’re the one comparing stuff that isn’t comparable. You simply can’t discuss the fact that since PSVR, Rift and Vive have come to the market, this is the first time when VR is really striving for mass consumer adoption at all. (And even though 4-5 mio in something over a year is not hundreds of millions It’s still respectable, considering the price of entry). It’s not meant to replace screens or normal gaming, but talking it down as if it was some failed 90ies experiment is just as unrealistically exaggerated and nonsensical as habam debating about PS5 being VR only.

For reference, opinion of vr reddit about the topic:

http://www.strawpoll.me/15015093/r

Pretty interesting that people that actually have tried vr for a decent time/own vr have a very different opinion compared to people here. Even people that own a 4k tv and a psvr think vr is better but just people that don’t own a vr device (and in most cases never tried vr) think 4k is better.

Last edited by habam - on 06 February 2018

Here’s Germany‘s best gaming show on YouTube doing a whole VR special in VR/360.
If you own some sort of VR headset you need to watch it, regardless if you understand German. It’s pretty rad. Love those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2s&v=sZlpIOUWf4g

I'm not sure its a fair comparison since one is a unique way to play and the other is just a resolution which could even be applied to VR. The different way of playing will always be better to me, its kind of like saying do I prefer handhelds or 1080p, well again I prefer handhelds for their functionality, but of course they too could get a 4K screen.

Now as for whether I'd choose to buy either VR or a 4K TV over the other one. I already made that choice and went for VR, even at PSVR low resolution I prefer the different experience more than a TV resolution bump from 1080p. Even a 1080p TV is a big step up visually from PSVR but like with a 3DS I'm more interested in how they play.

Updated poll so people without accounts and from reddit can vote as well