By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Not much love for android gaming on this forum

I quite enjoyed Super Mario Run and I'm currently playing Tales of the Rays, insane amounts of fanservice for a free to play game (which model I actually find quite good in this game).

Around the Network

I have tried to give in and play Android and iOS games, but I have never found anything about the games or ecosystem that was entertaining or made me want to stick around. Went back to using a flip phone for calls and text after the Vita was stripped of the ability to make calls, and just play games on the Vita when I am at work or on the go.

If Apple or an Android partener ever wanted to offer a handheld form factor phone that received full releases of Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Madden, Project Cars, and such then I would very likely make the switch to gaming in their ecosystem.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

If there's anything hipsters got right, it was hating on mobile games.

I do really love Subway Surfer, though.

Hmm, I actually tried gaming as I got an android device. But most games are oversimplicistic or setting timing stuff against you, which you can overcome by paying. So mostly it is waiting long enough that get's you depper in the game.

As I said most games are oversimplified, some games are still quite good, buit nothing could pierce my top50 of the greatest game event. The notable games are for me: Fallout Shelter, Hearthstone, Devil's and Demons and Ingress.

Fallout Shelter can be fun, but some of the mechanics can be annoying at times. Random events in hard can just destroy half your shelter, even if you're prepare as much as possible. Some of the mechanics look like simple time-locks.

Hearthstone works at what it does. I played the Trading Card system Magic the Gathering (with real cards) and Hearthstone is pretty much this. Such gameplay is practically made for mobile touch-devices. That's the most recommendable game from my perspective. It has not too much single player content though (and most of that isn't free to play but has to be bought).

Devil's and Demons has pretty good gameplay as round-based tactical game and again this works. I actually hoped Fire Emblem Heroes would be like that, but FE:H is simplified beyond recognition. Devil's and Demons provide the better FE-like gameplay on mobile touch-devices. But a big problem remains: The character development isn't fleshed out pretty good. Also ads are sunk too deep in the game. I actually would pay to make it ad-free, but haven't the option. I don't pay for double XP.

Ingress has good location based strategy gameplay. The big problem with ingree is, it has too much little problems. Loading world data, unprecise location, too much battery drain and drains too much of my mobile data rate.

I tried South Park Phone Destroyer recently, but while entertaining it is too simple. I can't see I do much difference with my decisions. So it probably will be short-lived fun.

I also just started with Pathfinder Adventures. It might good, but I'm just at the beginning. So far it looks like the board- and card-game Shadowrun Crossfire, which is good. Getting into it is absurdely hard though and the tutorial doesn't really help. But I understood the game and at least it isn't as simplicistic as most phone games. They could've devised a simpler introduction though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Currently playing Lineage II Revolution and Fire Emblem Heros.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

It seems Fire Emblem Heroes count, so there's that. I play that one. It's pretty fun... Also I still play Pokemon Go, despite its issues.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Honestly the most use I've gotten out of my phone as a gaming device is grindy old turn-based RPGs. Touch screen controls are hot garbage for anything else I'd be willing to play on break.

Not much love for PC, Arcade or Retro either. :P

Have to admit, other than Hearthstone... Mobile games have never appealed to me, they just feel like Micro-transaction filled time wasters.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

King Oddball is a great little free time waster, it's like angry birds and is on just about everything, I've completed it 100% on both Vita and Switch but still have the android version on my phone for times when everything else has run out of batteries, it's a perfect game for the touchscreen too as it requires just 1 input to play.

You (the king) swings a rock back and forth on his tongue and you tap to release it and try to destroy all the enemies on screen, there is a few hundred stages to it and holiday events for most major holidays offer more to play, it's free but with adverts or else you can pay a few euro and have it fully ad free.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

It's a fair point about the touch screen controls. I use a basic wired gamepad something like this;

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Portable-Flash-36-Led-Camera-Enhancing-Photography-Selfie-Ring-Light-for-Smartphone-iPhone-6-plus-6s/32810326627.html

I use it with set top boxes, tablets and chromebooks but wouldn't want to carry it about with my mobile phone unless I was carrying a backpack or something.

Like most people I exclude games that don't work well with touch screen controls. That's why I like forever pilot despite being an arcade game. It's literally only left turn or right turn screen controls and the plane autofires making control surprisingly nice and responsive.

You can get very tiny wireless gamepads as well for a couple of pounds. One analogue pad and four buttons enough for many games. I'm a big fan of the snes gamepad and it works well for a large number of games especially emulated games.

Google really need to sort out a game controls. If the rumour is right about some major gaming project at google, maybe a more powerful set top box with decent gaming performance and a decent controller running android then perhaps the same controller will filter down to other android devices and be instantly picked up and configured for most games. Unlikely to benefit mobile phones again though unless there is a version that your mobile phone can slot into.