By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Twitter user: "No Bayonetta on PS4?" Hideki Kamiya: "Ask Ninty, also ask for Mario and Zelda on PS4"

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, having UC1 and 2 really helped driving 3 cost down... but from what I found from 1 to 4 the cost wasn't that much different (talking about 30-50M range, that is average AAA games).

I think Zelda have costed around 30M, hard to be more than that because of the style used (it is a good and pretty game, but doesn't seem like a money hungry one)

The bulk of development costs is simply salary.  Differences in technology, art styles, voice, etc....are small fractions by comparison and can be misleading when speculating on dev costs.

BotW had a full time staff of 100 working on it for 5 years.  Using the formula, that suggests a dev cost of ~$35 million.  They had a part time crew of 200 more throughout development which probably bumps it closer to $45 million.

It can also vary wildly simply by location of the studio.  Average salary in the US is $85,000, $50,000 in the UK and just under $20,000 in Poland.  That's why Witcher III had a production cost of just $12.2 million.

Sure salary is the most relevant cost to calculate. But art style, size of game and VA add on team size and additional cost.

100-300 (fixed and contracted to specific portions) for 5 years were more or less the involvement for GT5 at the time. Zelda although with simpler look have a lot of attention to detail that can drive dev time to higher portions.

But about the 100 for Zelda, do you have a source that the 100 were involved around the whole project the whole time? (because a lot of steps on the game are specific to one team while other artists don't participate).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure salary is the most relevant cost to calculate. But art style, size of game and VA add on team size and additional cost.

100-300 (fixed and contracted to specific portions) for 5 years were more or less the involvement for GT5 at the time. Zelda although with simpler look have a lot of attention to detail that can drive dev time to higher portions.

But about the 100 for Zelda, do you have a source that the 100 were involved around the whole project the whole time? (because a lot of steps on the game are specific to one team while other artists don't participate).

100 was the core staff on BotW. 
Miyamato explained the following, “Breath of the Wild has over 100 staff, and over 300 people in the credits, spending over 5 years.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/06/30/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-needs-to-sell-2-million-copies-to-break-even/#7489c2a5615f

GT5 was expensive to make because it had to license so many cars, tracks and music.  That stuff can cost more than the actual development itself.  I'm reading a $60 million budget which may or may not include marketing.  Licensing easily could have been half that cost.

I wasn't discussing GT5 cost against Zelda... just showing that both had about the same fixed and fluctuating staff on similar lenght to dev... which is impressive on Zelda closer to cell-shaded and not photorealism, but pointing that a lot of that goes to the attention to detail put.

And you are right that the difference in cost between both (although I think GT5 took more than 5 years in the making, but regardless) is due to licensing since it doesn't have much VA or even CG made for it and both have Japanese team.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

curl-6 said: 

Nintendo paid for its development because it fills a vacant niche in their lineup and gives them some street cred for having a 90+ rated "hardcore" exclusive. They knew when they bought it that it wasn't a multi-million selling cash cow. It's purchase was always about improving their image and countering the "Nintendo is just for kids" perception.

You are right, the game had a positive effect and even with low sales it was well received by the userbase (at least from what we can see here). I was being sarcastic because some people really seem to think anyone else would have paid for Bayo and its incredible selling potential.

Yeah that's it, there's a reason Sega didn't publish the second game and Nintendo had to step in; from the perspective of a third party publisher it just wasn't a very attractive proposition; a sequel to a game that was a commercial failure.

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Heh, more like fans of Sony only

Yep, because ps4 owners or sony fans don't buy games from platinum games or sega right? So let just give them a bash.

They buy, of course, that is why Sony refused to fund Bayonetta 2 and sale of the first on ps3 is not good to them or Sega

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

I wasn't discussing GT5 cost against Zelda... just showing that both had about the same fixed and fluctuating staff on similar lenght to dev... which is impressive on Zelda closer to cell-shaded and not photorealism, but pointing that a lot of that goes to the attention to detail put.

And you are right that the difference in cost between both (although I think GT5 took more than 5 years in the making, but regardless) is due to licensing since it doesn't have much VA or even CG made for it and both have Japanese team.

GT series producer Kazunori Yamauchi says it was a 5 year development period.  GT5 had over 1,000 licensed cars and more than 70 licensed tracks.  Not sure how much licensed music it had though.  The licensing alone would cost more than many AAA games.

If Kaz said so them it was 5 (fuzzy memory on the date). And I agree that licensing alone make a lot on the cost, similar problem also must exist in Sports game that the dev cost is small since most of it is interaction on previous game, but the amount of clubs and players make licenses a costly venture.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

You are right, the game had a positive effect and even with low sales it was well received by the userbase (at least from what we can see here). I was being sarcastic because some people really seem to think anyone else would have paid for Bayo and its incredible selling potential.

Yeah that's it, there's a reason Sega didn't publish the second game and Nintendo had to step in; from the perspective of a third party publisher it just wasn't a very attractive proposition; a sequel to a game that was a commercial failure.

Yep

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, because ps4 owners or sony fans don't buy games from platinum games or sega right? So let just give them a bash.

They buy, of course, that is why Sony refused to fund Bayonetta 2 and sale of the first on ps3 is not good to them or Sega

So all games from Sega or Platinum must sell good on PS for PS owners to count as customers?? That must be the reason why Sony funded other Platinum games before and after Bayo. But sure, let's bash PS4 owners.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

If Kaz said so them it was 5 (fuzzy memory on the date). And I agree that licensing alone make a lot on the cost, similar problem also must exist in Sports game that the dev cost is small since most of it is interaction on previous game, but the amount of clubs and players make licenses a costly venture.

Precisely that. Iterative sports games are very cheap on the development side.  Even building a new game engine tends to cost less than for other genres.  But licensing hits the publisher wallet hard.

And for some reason people like as much to keep paying for several of the interactions (I would say a good portion buying all of them day one). Lucky EA have almost warranted revenue to them no matter how bad their policies are.

DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:

GT series producer Kazunori Yamauchi says it was a 5 year development period.  GT5 had over 1,000 licensed cars and more than 70 licensed tracks.  Not sure how much licensed music it had though.  The licensing alone would cost more than many AAA games.

curl-6 said:

Yep

HoangNhatAnh said:

So all games from Sega or Platinum must sell good on PS for PS owners to count as customers?? That must be the reason why Sony funded other Platinum games before and after Bayo. But sure, let's bash PS4 owners.

Yeah, and those Platinum games are? Also, your comment is exactly why Sony won't need to fund Bayonetta 2 & 3, so Nintendo get it is a good choice

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep

Yeah, and those Platinum games are? Also, your comment is exactly why Sony won't need to fund Bayonetta 2 & 3, so Nintendo get it is a good choice

What are you talking about? They have funded Platinum games and Sony gamers have bought them. Bayo 1 and 2 haven't been bought in great quantities by no userbase (in fact Bayo 2 sold less on the WiiU than Bayo 1 sold on PS3 despise all the bugs and the X360)

DonFerrari said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

What are you talking about? They have funded Platinum games and Sony gamers have bought them. Bayo 1 and 2 haven't been bought in great quantities by no userbase (in fact Bayo 2 sold less on the WiiU than Bayo 1 sold on PS3 despise all the bugs and the X360)

Yeah, Sony fans bought all except Bayonetta and it is the reason why Sony refused to fund it. Good, you are telling me exactly why Nintendo get Bayonetta is good for all because Sony doesn't care anyway. Sold less mean nothing, Nintendo is the one take the loss and they still continue with the third, no one can do that if the second sold much less than the the first outside Nintendo

I wonder if the person was asking for the first bayonetta. I wouldn't expect ninty to have the full rights for that one. But, ninty is the one financing all this, so unless SEGA asks and funds such a port, and why would they cause they got a good thing going with ninty?

Yeah... i dunno why people even ask.

I'd rather they asked team ninja where Ninja gaiden 4 is. Also DMC5 is coming. Just buy a Switch if you want Bayonetta. Surely it isn't that bad.