By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Diddy Kong Racing sequel incoming? David Wise working for Nintendo

RavenXtra said:
I've never really cared for Diddy Kong Racing, so I'd be a bit disappointed if this really was Retro's next project. I'd happily take another Donkey Kong Country entry instead honestly.

Especially with Mario Kart already on the system, not sure if a new Diddy Kong Racing would be a very...Wise decision.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

Would make sense since Retro worked on MK7 although to me it's one of the worst episode. I also think seeing the disappointing sales of TF, Nintendo probably asked them to do something else. A 2D DK wouldn't have taken so long since it would be basically the same assets and engine as TF and it would need to release only at the end of the year or next year bc of the Wii u port.

I also think its possible since the Switch doesn't have its own racing game. I fully expect a new Mario Kart on it but another franchise would make much more sense.

Retro are known to break boundaries and have amazing level design, so if DDK racing there is, i think only them could make it really interesting and stand out from what MK took away from DDR.

I think Wise could make great music for a StarTropics game. That's my "out of left field" prediction.

Naum said:
I loved Diddy Kong racing back when it came out.

^ this, would much rather it was something else.

No kart game I can imagine is going to stand up to Mario Kart 8.... esp not a Diggy Kong Racing sequel.

I wouldn't mind another DK title from them, hopefully 3D, just to have one fun 3D Donkey Kong game. Also it makes for good salt from this site if Retro has been working on another one.

Diddy Kong Racing I would probably give a shot, is Retro, so they'll definitely put a ton of effort in it.

If Wise is not working on something DK related, give an RPG to that man, would be an absolute joy to listen to.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
I think Wise could make great music for a StarTropics game. That's my "out of left field" prediction.

StarTropics is one of those games that I had never heard about until people started joking/wishing about Retro doing a reboot and now that I know about it I actually want it lol. I'm desperate for a puzzle-heavy adventure game from Nintendo on the Switch and Zelda really doesn't do that for me anymore, especially with ALBW/BotW making the puzzles so easy.

Last edited by Vini256 - on 30 January 2018

But what if David Wise works on something other than Donkey Kong? Y'all instantly associate him with that only but actually his work could be a benefit for any game.

I'm done with Retro if this is another Donkey Kong related game in any way. They have some of the best talents out there in the biz being wasted on just 2 IPs. They should create a new IP.

CladInShadows said:

I feel like StarTropics predictions have become so common that they no longer qualify as left field (though that's not to say that a StarTropics resurrection wouldn't be incredible if handled properly)...

OP points to insane Mario Kart numbers as evidence that there is demand for more kart racing games...

But there is the possibility that Nintendo doesn't see the need for another kart racer specifically because Mario Kart sells so well...

But my logic isn't Nintendo's logic...

We all know there's a good chance that it's another DKC game, but it's not like Nintendo is in desperate need of a platformer...

But having two DK games on the Switch could result in confusion among consumers, whichever Nintendo definitely doesn't want, so maybe they'll surprise us with something else...

Have a nice day...

Anything donkey kong related is good, I wish nintendo would milk him as much as mario.