By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Diddy Kong Racing sequel incoming? David Wise working for Nintendo

As for me I hope it is a new DKR, just for the meltdowns.

I trust the game would be excellent anyway.

Around the Network
Shiken said:

The problem with a Diddy Kong Racing sequel is that the roster is filled with RARE characters. It was essentially RARE's take on Mario Kart. Aside from Diddy Kong himself, they would need a whole new cast of new characters that have no iconic impact.

With Link, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing being added to Mario Kart, it has evolved into something like Smash where it features many Nintendo IPs rather than just Mario. With that in mind, many might see a new Diddy Kong Racing and question why they did not just add him to Mario Kart since the games are so similar. It might look like a quick cash grab with unfamiliar characters and I just do not see how they can pull it off and have it sell without RARE.

I loved DKR, but my hopes for a sequel left when RARE went to MS and took their IPs with them.

Agree. I also think the next evolution for mario kart is to take on some of Diddy Kong Racings' elements, with a sort of hub world story line with boss races. Ditch the gliders and just bring on planes and hovercrafts. and of course...put diddy kong BACK in mario kart.

Diddy won't happen because it would stand to compete with MK. They won't do it. A more likely scenario is another watered down DKC game that pales in comparison to the originals.

Mar1217 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Diddy won't happen because it would stand to compete with MK. They won't do it. A more likely scenario is another watered down DKC game that pales in comparison to the originals.

Tropical Freeze is easily better than DKC 1 and 3, the hell you're smoking,dude ?

Only one of us has been alive long enough to remember playing the originals and the newer games as they launched and can compare the two experiences accurately. 

Having said that though, opinions are just opinions. You can have yours.

Either Diddy Kong Racing, or a new 3D Donkey Kong title. I’d buy either one in a heart beat. Anything else? Not interested.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Only one of us has been alive long enough to remember playing the originals and the newer games as they launched and can compare the two experiences accurately. 

Having said that though, opinions are just opinions. You can have yours.

You know that the release of the original trilogy on the GBA was a thing right ?

Those were god awful ports where sprits filled up most of the screen.  To get the true experience, you would need to play om SNES or VC on a TV set.

I personally cannot speak for the new ones, as I have not played them.  I will be trying Tropical Freeza for Switch though, and eventually, DKC Returns as well.  I went on a Nintendo hiatus during those times and missed out on anything outside of the Zelda franchise.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Man all the rumors so far on Retro's next game are pointing a new Donkey Kong. I am pretty sure it will be a 3D Donkey Kong  as well. It does not help that the DKC producer talked about making a 3D Donkey Kong 

If that was what they were working on for the last 4 years I am going to skip it. I like the DKC games but they should not take 3+ years to make. I guess maybe I will get something I want from them 3 years from now.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

DIDDY KONG RACING :DD I'd love that.

As long as Wise uses his 80s synths. They were fantastic in ''Darkmoon Caverns''

A new DK game would be cool, but I'm kinda hoping to see Retro try something else. They're definitely capable of doing more than just continuing with the DK franchise. Anyways, David Wise working with Nintendo sounds good to me. That guy's made some excellent OSTs throughout the years.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

A new DKR game in place of a new Mario Kart game would actually make a lot of sense. As I've said before, MK8D is basically the definitive Mario Kart game and there's really no need to make MK9 anytime soon. Especially at the rate MK8D is selling. MK9 could wait to be a launch window title for Switch's successor and we could get a new DKR game for switch say in late 2019. And Maybe finally a new F Zero on Switch in 2020 or 2021.