By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do the visuals on the Nintendo Switch compare to those of the Xbox 360 & PS3?

The Nintendo Switch hardware is...

A big leap over 7th gen 71 40.11%

A minor leap over 7th gen 72 40.68%

About the same as 7th gen 24 13.56%

Actually WORSE than last gen 10 5.65%

Total:177
curl-6 said:
bonzobanana said:

My memory is the 360 and PS3 dipped just below 720p sometimes, 880x720 there abouts as the absolute maximum drop but most around 1024x700 when they weren't actual 720p (1280x720) and quite a few ps3 games were 1080p but with dynamic resolutions in play. Wipeout, Stardust, Virtual Tennis, Ridge Racer were 1080p and a few others mainly PSN games. I don't think either PS3 or 360 had drops to 368p like Xenoblade on Switch which is between ED and SD resolution. I could be wrong but I don't remember any  game dropping to such a low resolution which is half the pixel count approx of the lowest drops I can remember of the 2 720p consoles.

My point if you can't store the graphic data then you can't show it either. Storage size is a factor in games. Many android games lack graphic detail not because they can't handle it but they just haven't got room for it. Some PS2 games clearly have better assets and varied textures thanks to its DVD optical disc compared to a heavily compressed 100MB android game. The android game might have a greater resolution and a better frame rate but the graphics can be simplified with more often repeated textures. 

I don't think it dev's cheaping out it's dev's trying to find a balance of what file size is acceptable for the end user. They have to weigh up performance with the reality that a large file size may prevent many people buying the game. You may say its wrong to make Rayman Legends so small a file size but thats great when you can store more games on a Switch. You can take the Switch outside and have a choice of games to play and the only compromise is a bit of slowdown here and there and a slightly inferior image which is more noticeable when docked.

I don't think the audio would be too bad on ps3 with regard memory. The audio hardware is meant to be exceptionally good which I think is a common theme with all sony hardware, decent DAC's, DMA and with the ps3 one cell processor pretty much dedicated to uncompressing, compressing on the fly and some decent cache built-in. The PS3 has always been pretty exceptional for audio.  A comparison with 360 often showed the PS3 sound to be much better. The dolby 5.1 of the 360 not only had less channels, lossy sound but I feel missed some of the detail present in the ps3 probably due to fitting it onto a standard dvd disc instead of bluray. The earlier generation was an easy win for the original xbox with its dedicated 5.1 chip over ps2 which had 5.1 unlike gamecube but seemed much more limited with in-game surround effects even if the music scores were equally good.

Alan Wake was 540p on 360, Homefront was 576p on both PS3 and 360, Tales of Vesperia 576p on PS3. Tony Hawk Project 8, 585p. Tekken 6, 576p on PS3. The list goes on; sub-HD games were abundant on PS3 and 360. Xenoblade 2 is clearly not a well optimized game, probably because, as we recently found out, most of Monolith was tied up assisting with Breath of the Wild.

When you have 32GB of cart space and the same of hard drive space, plus support for expandable memory up to a terabyte, Rayman being 2.9GB was simply a bad call on the part of Ubisoft.

PS3 did have an audio advantage versus the Xbox 360, but at the end of the day, it had to keep sound data in a tiny pool of memory by modern standards, less than a quarter of a gigabyte had to be shared between audio, OS, game logic, etc.

If you want to look at outsider games you can even go up to the next gen machine, you got Ark running at 640p/20 on the base ps4 or 720p/30 on the pro, with uncapped framerates but never stable or good in terms of what a machine can do and even worse performance on X1. Telltale games batman also pulls the resolution down to 640p on the PS4 and even lower on the X1.

Always have to understand that badly optimised games do not mean poor hardware.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
curl-6 said:

Alan Wake was 540p on 360, Homefront was 576p on both PS3 and 360, Tales of Vesperia 576p on PS3. Tony Hawk Project 8, 585p. Tekken 6, 576p on PS3. The list goes on; sub-HD games were abundant on PS3 and 360. Xenoblade 2 is clearly not a well optimized game, probably because, as we recently found out, most of Monolith was tied up assisting with Breath of the Wild.

When you have 32GB of cart space and the same of hard drive space, plus support for expandable memory up to a terabyte, Rayman being 2.9GB was simply a bad call on the part of Ubisoft.

PS3 did have an audio advantage versus the Xbox 360, but at the end of the day, it had to keep sound data in a tiny pool of memory by modern standards, less than a quarter of a gigabyte had to be shared between audio, OS, game logic, etc.

If you want to look at outsider games you can even go up to the next gen machine, you got Ark running at 640p/20 on the base ps4 or 720p/30 on the pro, with uncapped framerates but never stable or good in terms of what a machine can do and even worse performance on X1. Telltale games batman also pulls the resolution down to 640p on the PS4 and even lower on the X1.

it depends, how many games your looking at, you can only use that excuse for so long, if you are talking 1 one 5 games running worse, then yea. if you are talking about 8 out-10 games running worse then its a hardware problem, not well designed, has disadvantages that's giving developers problems.

quickrick said:
Ganoncrotch said:

it depends, how many games your looking at, you can only use that excuse for so long, if you are talking 1 one 5 games running worse, then yea. if you are talking about 8 out-10 games running worse then its a hardware problem, not well designed, has disadvantages that's giving developers problems.

I tried to read that far too many times.

Try again please.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
quickrick said:

Try again please.

it depends how many bad ports there is , you can only use that excuse it's badly optimized for so long , if you are talking 1 out 5 games running worse, then yea, you do have a point, if you are talking about 8 out-10 games running worse, then its a hardware problem,  the hardware is not well designed, or has disadvantages, that's giving developers problems.

curl-6 said:
Azuren said:

Because Skyrim is a good idea with typical Bethesda shit programming that got better over time. When you're porting a game for the nth time, I would hope you're not doing so with the same embarrassing level of execution that Skyrim originally did.

In other words, I don't trust a Bethesda title as a benchmark.

FIFA 18 demonstrates the gap too; 1080p on Switch over 720p on PS3/360, plus improved shaders, textures, and effects.

And FIFA is a game I would never play. I'll have a personal opinion on the matter after I play a Switch port that I've played on the PS3.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
curl-6 said:

FIFA 18 demonstrates the gap too; 1080p on Switch over 720p on PS3/360, plus improved shaders, textures, and effects.

And FIFA is a game I would never play. I'll have a personal opinion on the matter after I play a Switch port that I've played on the PS3.

Okay, all I'm saying is, your personal opinion doesn't change the facts of the matter; Switch is objectively more graphically capable than PS3/360, regardless of whether you acknowledge it.

curl-6 said:
Azuren said:

Okay, all I'm saying is, your personal opinion doesn't change the facts of the matter; Switch is objectively more graphically capable than PS3/360, regardless of whether you acknowledge it.

well to be fair, the thread asked how they do compare, so  his opinion they are the same, it's a perfectly valid response.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

well to be fair, the thread asked how they do compare, so  his opinion they are the same, it's a perfectly valid response.

And he's entitled to that opinion. It's just not a technically correct one.

quickrick said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Try again please.

it depends how many bad ports there is , you can only use that excuse it's badly optimized for so long , if you are talking 1 out 5 games running worse, then yea, you do have a point, if you are talking about 8 out-10 games running worse, then its a hardware problem,  the hardware is not well designed, or has disadvantages, that's giving developers problems.

Oh now I get you sorry Rick, yeah I was talking about the completely nuts examples like Ark @ 640p on the PS4 is just completely down to the code not the hardware much the same as Xenoblades Res can be seen as the outstandingly low one compared to all the games which run at 1080/60 on Switch or at least 900p+ on the machine.

It's always possible to find the real stinkers to point at on a system but really when you have this on the same machine as Horizon Zero Dawn you gotta look at a wider range of games to see the real hardware ability than just a few examples of high or low points.

skip to 6:05 for a good laugh :D

curl-6 said:
Qwark said:

But visually not a single game can come close to Horizon on Switch no matter how restricted it is.

Not sure why we're even comparing Switch to PS4; not only is the topic Switch vs PS3/360, but expecting a portable to measure up to a console released just a few years prior in raw horsepower is kinda pointless. It's like saying "not a single game on Vita can come close to GTA 5/God of War Ascension/The Last of Us no matter how restricted it is." I mean, it's true, but it also goes without saying.

Because it was a discussion about allocating stuff to improve visuals. Switch doesn't have a game as of far which is so restricted it really sets itself apart from the exclusives on xbox 360 or PS3.  If it did this whole discussion wasn't here to begin with. The PS3 has some games like beyond two souls and the last of us which really allocated almost every ounce of hardware to maximise visuals. When a game utilises every ounce of the Switch the improvement will surely be very clear by just looking at a screenshot. But I haven't seen a game yet which truly sets itself apart. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar