By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do the visuals on the Nintendo Switch compare to those of the Xbox 360 & PS3?

The Nintendo Switch hardware is...

A big leap over 7th gen 71 40.11%

A minor leap over 7th gen 72 40.68%

About the same as 7th gen 24 13.56%

Actually WORSE than last gen 10 5.65%

Total:177
Kristof81 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats also not hole picture, comparing raw numbers of tech/architecture from different decades don't make too much sense. :)

Of course. Considering differences in architectures of those two systems (not to mention PS3),  the exact comparison is pretty much impossible. But even in raw numbers, the picture is very clear. Switch isn't just a marginally better system, but also isn't a giant leap in performance, like PS4 for example. 7th gen ports will run and look better than on X360, period. That's why, from all four answers  "A minor leap..." in my opinion, is the most appropriate answer.  

Some one can say that PS4 over PS3 is not big leap also, so I wouldn't said Switch over PS3/360 is big but not minor also, I would said noticeable or solid leap .

Around the Network

People are missing the point, there's no doubt the Nintendo Switch is a lot more powerful than the PS3 or 360, it's obviously capable of presenting better looking games at higher framerates & resolution so anyone arguing against that is objectively wrong.

The question is does anything on Switch look better than the best looking games last gen like God of War 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 3 on PS3 or Gears of War 3, Forza 4 or Halo 4 on 360? I don't think so yet, people can keep comparing linear vs open world, 30fps vs 60fps or 720p vs 1080p but that's irrelevant, we're talking about visuals not performance.

holy shit I'm convince some of you guys just like to argue for the sake of arguing

JustThatGamer said:
People are missing the point, there's no doubt the Nintendo Switch is a lot more powerful than the PS3 or 360, it's obviously capable of presenting better looking games at higher framerates & resolution so anyone arguing against that is objectively wrong.

The question is does anything on Switch look better than the best looking games last gen like God of War 3, The Last of Us, Uncharted 3 on PS3 or Gears of War 3, Forza 4 or Halo 4 on 360? I don't think so yet, people can keep comparing linear vs open world, 30fps vs 60fps or 720p vs 1080p but that's irrelevant, we're talking about visuals not performance.

I think the real comparison here is how long did it take the PS4 software line up to start looking entirely better than PS3's last efforts? The Switch is nowhere near the factors of power over PS3 as the PS4, so it should be a given that it could take the Switch into its second or third software year to really eclipse PS3's best efforts. What people are really losing sight of hear is that this system is more powerful than 7th gen consoles while only running at 6-15 Watts of power in handheld/dock mode respectively.

Well in my expirence, the wii U is the xbox to the HD twins ate to ps2/gamecube.
And the switch is somewhat of a leap compared to the U. For gods sake it run a PORT of a game running a different architecture. And then we have 60fps 900p oddesey.

So I say a little over half between the ps3 and 4.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

It's still pretty debatable. PS3 was NUMA in it's extremist form. Segmented physical memory meant level designs had to be smaller to avoid stutters, SPE's did not have access to main memory and instead had 256KB local stores so a DMA engine had to be used to communicate between the two, heterogeneous processor and virtual memory, no eDRAM (made PS3 struggled more often with alpha effects compared to 360), lower geometry performance and no unified shaders made load balancing nearly impossible so some efficiency is lost right there ... (similar situation applies to WII U) 

It's not debatable because the games eventually proved it.

Calling ports shit highly undermines the technical difficulties in a developers work and I don't think you understand the hardships that technical developers have to go through ... (not every port can be built to take advantage of each platforms, much less sometimes there not possible in the case of 6th gen) 

If a port is shit, then it's shit. No point mincing words in order to avoid offending people.
I am Australian, we tend not to care.

I am apprised on how difficult it is to be a developer, but if the port is crap, it's crap. I am not going to do a dance and a song and pretend it is good.

Because many games used different technologies back then so comparisons couldn't made on a binary basis, at that point the terms "superior" and "inferior" became subjective ... 

There were GC games built that couldn't be ran on the PS2 in the same way but the same easily applied the other way around. There were things to appreciate that other couldn't do so neither had a definitive advantage ... (GC wasn't very good at vertex processing or alpha effects to the same degree like the PS2 was and PS2 didn't have texture compression or a flexible texture combiner system) 

I recount an instance at Beyond3D where one developer said GC was easily the worst performing platform of three based on his experience especially in the case if the GPU had to clip some triangles ... 

Yeah. There is no point having this debate.
The Gamecube was superior to the Playstation 2 overall, the games have proved it, that's the evidence. - Trying to say otherwise is simply disingenuous and nonsensical.

Tessellation is useless since nearly no developers are using it anymore (concept was great but technology/implementation sucked plus there were issues with quad shading efficiency) and I doubt it's an advantage for Switch since it doesn't have a very high geometry throughput to begin with. (384M tri/s at the absolute lowest ? 360 was able to do 500M tri/s while PS3 was half rate ?) Polymorph and Truform ended up being dead silicon, I bet async compute will get more traction than current tessellation technology ever could ... 

Tessellation is being used, it's there in most Frostbite games. It's even in PUBG.
If you have an AMD GPU you can even turn it off and see the increase in performance in most modern games, sometimes the visual reduction isn't very severe either. Heck even Overwatch saw a small uptick in performance when I turned the Tessellator off on the Core2Quad rig.

Not sure how a Maxwell Polymorph engine stacks up against GCN 1.0 geometry engine though, but I would assume the Polymorph engine is more capable.

Truform is also end of life and is no longer supported by AMD's drivers or even included at the silicon level... It was replaced by the Tessellator.
Relying on N-Patches to Tessellate placed to much of a strain on development.

Async Compute is one of the main focuses in engine/game development right now and holds a ton of promise.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Yeah the Switch is somewhere between. But if I had to say it is closer to the Xbox One than the PS3/360. But there is still a large gap there. Playing it on the smaller screen really does help as usually where it is held back is its terrible resolutions. Its hard for me to play it on the tv to much honestly.

xl-klaudkil said:
curl-6 said:

The fact we're even having this discussion is quite silly frankly. It's like saying "3DS has better graphics than Vita because I haven't seen anything on Vita that looks better than RE Revelations".

You never saw uncharted and killzone on vita? Muchhh better looking then anything on 3ds by a mile

Have to agree with Curl though, this isn't something you can close your eyes to, all it takes is to chuck on a ps3 or X360 on a 1080 screen and then look at something from the Switch on the same screen, something like Skyrim is a perfect example of it, or just how crisp and clear the likes of MK8D are in comparison to something like mod nation racers

If you "don't see a difference" here you really should be happy to have stuck to a X360 gen system because you can't tell the difference between a system at 720p and 1080p which really does bring into question all the people who could tell when ps4 games were running games with 10% more pixels than X1 titles... but can't see a 100% increase between 720 and 1080, has global eyesight decreased so much in just 12 months?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Kingdom Battle alone looks better than anything on the PS3 and 360. People keep bringing up Uncharted 3 and Last of Us as if games on switch aren't doing more than those titles. Is this about preference or whats actually going on on screen?

Games are fun.

xl-klaudkil said:
curl-6 said:

The fact we're even having this discussion is quite silly frankly. It's like saying "3DS has better graphics than Vita because I haven't seen anything on Vita that looks better than RE Revelations".

You never saw uncharted and killzone on vita? Muchhh better looking then anything on 3ds by a mile

You completely missed my point. I was being intentionally facetious to demonstrate the absurdity of claiming PS3 is graphically superior to Switch.

JustThatGamer said:

Well, what "looks better" is a matter of subjective preference. Personally, I think Okami on PS2 or Muramasa on Wii "look better" than almost anything on PS4; not because they're technically superior, but because I love the art style. If someone prefers the look of games like God of War 3 or The Last of Us over anything on Switch, that's a valid opinion they're entitled to, but it's an opinion based entirely in personal aesthetic taste, because as we can agree, Switch clearly wins in terms of objective graphical capability.