By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 in trouble?

I think XBox 480 could be a possible name because 360 was just take the 3 from PS3 and add 60 to it.

Around the Network

If you check vgchartz 360 is doubling is sales from last year...

Rock_on_2008 said:
I think XBox 480 could be a possible name because 360 was just take the 3 from PS3 and add 60 to it.

That wasn't my recollection. 360 stands for how many degrees in a cirle. Therefore Xbox 360 was meant to say it was the whole gaming experience. Or something like that.

I stated in article 360 has improved upon last year's numbers but the competition is doing a lot better at the same time. Bear in mind the PS3 has not launched any of its huge AAA titles yet. It begins with GTA 4, followed 6 weeks later with MGS 4. GT 5:Prologue well that shows you how good a demo to the most anticipated game on the PS3 can do.

Rock_on_2008 said:

Considering its main rival in the HD video game market the PS3 has been consistently outselling the XBox 360 in the past 20 weeks by around about 50000 units per week. The PS3 is well and truly on the rise with the 360 struggling despite having improved upon numbers same time last year. Well for the Wii is in a league of its own outselling the combined totals of the PS3 and XBox 360. Portables PSP and DS are both selling extremely well due to being less than half the price of the cheapest consoles.

So how do you people believe the 360 will do for the remainder of the year?

Besides GTA 4 which is also on the PS3. The only other system seller AAA title for the 360 in 2008 is Gears of War 2 is out in November. Fable 2 and Banjo-Kazooie 3 will sell well but are not system sellers. On the other hand the PS3 has a large amount of system seller AAA titles due out in 2008 including GT 5:Prologue, MGS 4, GTA 4, Resistance 2, SOCOM:Confrontation, White Knight Chronicles and Kill Zone 2.

Would a price cut in the Americas of $50 on every XBox 360 SKU help out much?

PSP : 170 $ *2 = 340$ =/= 250$ ;)

But otherwise I agree . The 360 doesnt has that many system sellers left . GTA4 will probably make a much bigger hardware impact on the PS3 , while GoW2 will mostly sell to the curent ownerbase ...  

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
starcraft said:
tombi123 said:
You can't include WKS and SOCOM as system sellers and leave out Fable 2.

OT: Yes the 360 is in trouble, but then it was always destined for 3rd place. It will improve sales wise over the original xbox, so not too bad in the end.

The 360 is certainly not in trouble.  It's selling better than it was last year, despite the minimum US entry price for the console only coming down $30 since launch.  

It also has a line-up as least as good as the PS3's this year, arguably better depending on what genre your into and whether KZ2 turns out to be any good.

I might add that the PS3's minimum entry point has come down $100 since it's more recent launch, $200 dollars if you include the period before the 40GB hit where the 20GB had been withdrawn. 

By in trouble, I meant getting outsold by its competitors. 

The only system sellers the 360 has this year are Fable 2 and Gears2. Almost all GoW fans already own a 360, so it won't push that many consoles. Is Fable 2 coming to the PC? NG2, BK3 are just not system sellers, unless BK3 gets 90+% reviews, which is very unlikely. 

The PS3 can counter that with one game, MGS4. MGS is a bigger seller than Gears, and MGS4 is the first MGS on the PS3. Previews suggest that this game is nothing short of AWESOME!!!!!!.

It is very unlikely that the 360 can turn this around and start outselling the PS3. 

360 can't be in trouble if it's doing better thsn before. it's just not got as much momentum as the others. and every year we'll probably see it drift away from demand much quicker than the rest of the consoles. so i think third place is a given for the 360 in my opinion. the line up is as good as the ps3 this year, but that's probably a bad thing, considering last year it was much much much better than the ps3's and yet it only shifted 400,000 more consoles (according to vgc), and that was all probably because of halo 3.

i think that the fact that a "demo" is selling like hot cakes on the ps3 will probably indicate how games and hardware will shift with the ps3. most of the 360 games will only appeal to the core user base in my opinion. lost odyssey, blue dragon, bioshock, and mass effect are good examples. all stellar games, but not system sellers. i doubt ninja gaiden and fable will change that situation.

The 360 is not in any trouble. It has a large enough userbase to maintain 3rd party support and its still selling well. The 360 sells a lot of games and that isn't going to change. The 360 is going nowhere.

tombi123 said:
starcraft said:
tombi123 said:
You can't include WKS and SOCOM as system sellers and leave out Fable 2.

OT: Yes the 360 is in trouble, but then it was always destined for 3rd place. It will improve sales wise over the original xbox, so not too bad in the end.

The 360 is certainly not in trouble. It's selling better than it was last year, despite the minimum US entry price for the console only coming down $30 since launch.

It also has a line-up as least as good as the PS3's this year, arguably better depending on what genre your into and whether KZ2 turns out to be any good.

I might add that the PS3's minimum entry point has come down $100 since it's more recent launch, $200 dollars if you include the period before the 40GB hit where the 20GB had been withdrawn.

By in trouble, I meant getting outsold by its competitors.

The only system sellers the 360 has this year are Fable 2 and Gears2. Almost all GoW fans already own a 360, so it won't push that many consoles. Is Fable 2 coming to the PC? NG2, BK3 are just not system sellers, unless BK3 gets 90+% reviews, which is very unlikely.

The PS3 can counter that with one game, MGS4. MGS is a bigger seller than Gears, and MGS4 is the first MGS on the PS3. Previews suggest that this game is nothing short of AWESOME!!!!!!.

It is very unlikely that the 360 can turn this around and start outselling the PS3.

In the USA it is quite possible.  MGS4 is out in June.  It will boost sales for a month and then the PS3 will have used it's only real system seller of the year (the entire Resistance 2 fanbase already owns a PS3 for Resistance, and Killzone 2 has even less of a chance than BK3.  That said, BK3 has an excellent chance of being AAA as it is being made by the team that made the originals) well before the holidays.  The obvious exception is if GT5 or FFXIII actually makes it in this year.

Tekken is the only other major title the PS3 has that might shift systems in and of itself.  But it's influence is clearly declining. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

lol. NO.

What happens if the PS3 outsells the 360? I say nothing at all. With the 360 fairly large install base and high software sales, developers are never going to drop support. Furthermore, MS has shown that they're willing to fund games. Microsoft loses nothing by being outsold by the PS3.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!