By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the 360 in trouble?

BornFirst. said:
Prodigy_BE said:

Multiplatform devs are starting to get used to the PS3, and that, plus Sony's own PS3 exclusive games, and the fact that the movie industry wil slowly start to push consumers towards blu-ray (by releasing films first on that platform), wil hurt Xbox 360 in a big way.

I hope this is not true, because that would piss me off, i don't have a blu-ray player. If people have to wait longer for DVD release, that will not bode well for the movie industry, as piracy which is already bad enough will go through the roof. Trying to force people to buy blu-ray is not going to end well.

Believe me, it IS true. DVD's are copies way to much, an the profit on a dvd is too because of the low price. And on top of that, Distributors want you to buy the same stuff again, but then in BD. Just as your dad bought CD versions of his Elvis EP's.

They did the same thing with VHS. They start with some movies, and gradually shift focus. The industry NEEDS a new, bigger disk format to make more profit than the previous year. So they use this strategy, and stay under the radar of the average Joe. But believe me, Sony hater or not, one day there WILL be a blu-ray player in your home.

And for all you pirates, BD is a real bitch to copy. Downloading 50 gig? The BD writer is expensive, as are the blank disks, and even if you manage all that, you still have find a way to mod chip your BD player AND tv. Yes, through HDMI, your TV will refuse copies BD disks.

Blu-ray is the thing that will make Sony win this war, AND the next one.  As MS will have to use it in its 360 successor. And wil pay royalties to Sony for every console and piece of software sold.

Game Over for MS, believe me. 

Around the Network

EaglesEye:

Argue away!

Maybe my PS3 prospects are a bit too positive, but this year PS3 has outsold 360 every week (though not by big margins) while it's still more expensive and 360 even had a pretty big price cut in Europe.

PS3 has some pretty big games like MGS4, GT5 and FF13, which won't be its saviour, but will probably give it quite some sales (just look at GT5P sales in Europe).

But Sony first has to close a pretty significant gap and 360 proved to be a tough competitor to PS3, and I think that PS3 will never beat 360 in the US, the problem for Microsoft is outside the US. It just doesn't seem to take off there.

But like I said earlier, even if PS3 beats 360 in total sales, that's not a big problem for Microsoft (only for the fanboys).

I was about to start a "Crunch time for the 360" thread, but saw this one just in time...

Its too early to say whether the 360 *is* in trouble - but its definitely crunch time for the console.

The main advantage it has over its rival (the PS3) is price. The PS3 is more reliable, has more anticipated titles (although the 360 possibly has more good titles coming), is a BluRay player, links to the PSP, "should" be more powerful (in the long term), will have a wider range of games (including better casual titles).

The recent price cuts in Europe have done little - although its definitely still early days.

If sales of the PS3 keep pace (or beat) the 360 through a price cut - its a terrible sign for the 360. It may simply come down to who has deeper pockets (and MS definitely does), although if the 360 division goes into the red heavily AGAIN - people won't be as forgiving as before.

Its still 3 weeks before GTA hits, and their won't be a lot of movement before it does. But when it does - it will be like a tidal wave. In many ways, everything up to now was positioning both consoles to be attractive to GTA4 purchasers.

MS needs a *strong* victory with GTA (sustained higher software & hardware sales) to really drag this generation out. And the legs will be critically important. I think you'll be able to view trends between the 360/PS3 by the weekly ratio of GTA sales on both platforms.

In short - we stand before a crucial point in this generation. A win (or at least match) by the 360 will drag the generation out, and really make it a successful generation for MS.

A heavy loss, or slight loss leading to worsening losses over time - would spell disaster for MS. PS3 sales will accelerate, which in turn could lead to the worst possible outcome for MS - companies will start leading development on the PS3 (even with a lower install base), leading to better PS3 builds - and weakening 360 builds (which in turn accelerates the process).

In the meantime 360 keeps selling software really well - but to the same "hardcore/PC" crowd over and over again.

By Jan/Feb '09, the 360 could be considered "dead". And who knows what that could lead too...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

somehow i see when the ps3 overtakes the xbox360 we will hear about the xstation

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

shams said:

I was about to start a "Crunch time for the 360" thread, but saw this one just in time...

Its too early to say whether the 360 *is* in trouble - but its definitely crunch time for the console.

The main advantage it has over its rival (the PS3) is price. The PS3 is more reliable, has more anticipated titles (although the 360 possibly has more good titles coming), is a BluRay player, links to the PSP, "should" be more powerful (in the long term), will have a wider range of games (including better casual titles).

The recent price cuts in Europe have done little - although its definitely still early days.

If sales of the PS3 keep pace (or beat) the 360 through a price cut - its a terrible sign for the 360. It may simply come down to who has deeper pockets (and MS definitely does), although if the 360 division goes into the red heavily AGAIN - people won't be as forgiving as before.

Its still 3 weeks before GTA hits, and their won't be a lot of movement before it does. But when it does - it will be like a tidal wave. In many ways, everything up to now was positioning both consoles to be attractive to GTA4 purchasers.

MS needs a *strong* victory with GTA (sustained higher software & hardware sales) to really drag this generation out. And the legs will be critically important. I think you'll be able to view trends between the 360/PS3 by the weekly ratio of GTA sales on both platforms.

In short - we stand before a crucial point in this generation. A win (or at least match) by the 360 will drag the generation out, and really make it a successful generation for MS.

A heavy loss, or slight loss leading to worsening losses over time - would spell disaster for MS. PS3 sales will accelerate, which in turn could lead to the worst possible outcome for MS - companies will start leading development on the PS3 (even with a lower install base), leading to better PS3 builds - and weakening 360 builds (which in turn accelerates the process).

In the meantime 360 keeps selling software really well - but to the same "hardcore/PC" crowd over and over again.

By Jan/Feb '09, the 360 could be considered "dead". And who knows what that could lead too...

@shams

Great post, except for that inconsistency. So are you saying an outright win will drag this generation or even a match will drag this generation?

And the signs are already very bright for that conclusion (although I would hardly call this a drag) if you look at GTA4 pre-orders across the world, especially in NA.

Around the Network

Shams:

Personally I feel that every single copy of GTA4 sold for 360 is an absolute victory for Microsoft. It's a slap in the face for Sony. It also prevents Sony from an extreme boost in console sales. I think without a 360 GTA4 version PS3 could have seen at least 2 million extra consoles sold.

I think it's way too dramatic to assume that the 360 could be dead by Jan 2009. Even when hardware sales decline dramatically (there's no sign to that, currently the track higher than last year) the software sales are heroic.

Like I said above, Microsoft doesn't need to beat the PS3 to be successful.

Hey Rock On, you think the PS3 will outsell the Wii for the rest of the year? After all, for the PS3 to reach 27m, it'd have to start selling faster than the Wii, starting today, for the rest of the year.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Million said:
I don't think MS ever expected to become profitable with the 360 anyway , the best they can hope is that they break even and use the 720 to achieve 1st place with a proven brand name and more experience in the industry.

Yes, they did. Microsoft said the second generation of the Xbox will be their profitable generation, and only the first generation would fail to be profitable.

Do you really think MS pitched the "we're going to wait more than a decade before releasing our first profitable product, and should actually recover our investment in 16-22 years, at which point we will start becoming profitable overall" strategy to their investors? That's ridiculous: MS pitched the "we'll be generating huge profits six or seven years from now" strategy to investors.

PS3 with the launch of its mega hits will reach 27 million by the end of 2008. The 360 will be 2 million behind the PS3 by end of 2008.

Have you actually crunched any of the math on these numbers to see what kind of sales you'd need weekly in order to reach those goals? They're not unrealistic, they're impossible. 

I guess I've seen so many ridiculous and silly claims from PS3 fanboys, almost all of which have been completely wrong, for so long now that I've become jaded toward it.  Whenever I hear somebody state that the PS3 is only 8 or 9 months from domination, I assume they're joking, because Sony fanboys have become the butt of that joke.

It appears the sleeping giant has awakened:

http://n4g.com/News-133349.aspx

I am not saying the 360 is finished, but MS definitely has two very capable and currently successful competitors right now. MS really has to pick up it's game if they are to compete successfully in 2008 forwards.

Success in my mind is not being the Gamecube of this gen, even though they will sell more units than the XBOX1. I would be curious to k now what "success" means to MS right now...

EaglesEye379 said:
Before we go woo hoo over all this, what is your definition of a system seller.

Everyone says GT5P is a system seller, PS3 sales worldwide is around 180k with a spike to 210-230k over Easter. This means that since GT5P has been released in Europe its main market, the most that this affected HW is around 50k = 0.05m in the week. Its back to 180k this week, which is the same levels before GT5P.

So can someone tell me what does a system seller mean anyway because based on the above, its just a blip in HW.

WiiSports is a system seller.