By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR is not a gimmick!

Ka-pi96 said:
The VR fanatics are quickly becoming the biggest turnoff of VR...

Remind me...Why were you in this threat again? How many times did you tell all of us now, that you’re never going to even try VR?!

Around the Network

I’d actually bet 10 minutes in Skyrim and Dirt Rally VR would be enough to convince 90% of the doubters here. If the ability to actually BE in a game instead of just watching it is a gimmick, then it’s the f’in best gimmick ever.

habam said:
Nogamez said:

I had psvr. Felt really gimmicky to me. IE played it loads for about a week then never touched it for 5 months. Sold it.

What games have you bought for it?

Until Dawn rush of blood (loved it) some horror ganme with a chick in a yellow dress. Some shitty shooting game where you couldnt move only point the gun. Some playstation VR thing with diving and a shooting game and RE7.

Errorist76 said:
I’d actually bet 10 minutes in Skyrim and Dirt Rally VR would be enough to convince 90% of the doubters here. If the ability to actually BE in a game instead of just watching it is a gimmick, then it’s the f’in best gimmick ever.

Well i must be that 10% then. I sold mine. Seeing guns and torches floating a few feet in front of me and holding a controller whilst inside a helmet connected to 5 million cables whilst sat down on a chair doesnt really convince me im there. At first i was blown away but then it just got boring quick and a major hassle to get out/put away

It's a gimmick.

with that said, being a gimmick doesnt really make it a bad thing.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Barkley said:
An argument could be made that in it's current incarnation it's a gimmick, but as a concept VR is obviously not a gimmick.

Obviously?

It should be. Matrix/Holodeck isn't a gimmick, it's a natural progression.

I think people have become disillusioned with what VR actually means after the release of Oculus, PSVR ,Vive etc. It's not simply strapping a screen to your head, that's just the closest we're at.

John2290 said:

I wanted to separate this topic from my VR thread because I don't feel it fits. I see a lot of people equating VR to 3D or other such gimmicks, these people have obviously not tried Virtual reality proper.

I am happy to see someone else that is willing to advocate change in the gaming industry. It has been extreamly sad over the past decade to see the core gaming community absolutely do everything they can to try destroy this industry. Hopefully, a new wave of people will start to take over the mindshare of the gaming community, and embrace growth of the medium. How amazing would it be if we embraced things like expanded functionality, Motion Controls, 3D, Mobile Handhelds, Kinect, and VR, instead of cannibalizing them?

I really hope that VR is able to battle through the typical core gamer backlash, and reach enough regular people to let it get the momentum it is capable of. It would be extreamly refreashing if VR could break through and be a huge hit on consoles and PC, and not end up taking off as either its own crap stand alone product, or yet another offspring of mobile. For once it would be nice to have something born out Consoles and Handhelds that can actually maintain a premium quality level, as opposed to being revived as absolute garbage, and finally go on to become a major new sector. 

We really need Rockstar to put their foot down and make GTA6 a VR exclusive. We need Activision to be bold and bring COD to VR exclusively. These big players need to set the standard, and show people that VR is in fact the way AAA game development is going. They have the power to make the mass market excited about VR, and I hope they come out guns blazing with Gen 2 AR/VR. For every 1 gamer they loose from the shift to VR, I can easily see them picking up 2 or 3 more. Done right VR is an expereince, and that reaches a lot bigger audeince than a game ever could. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

S.Peelman said:

A 'gimmick' by definition is something that's only there to serve as a lure. 3D on the 3DS or 3D TV's or add-ons like steering wheels are gimmicks. In it's current state I'd say VR is a gimmick.

VR is its own thing. What does it lure to that is not itself? It's a simple peripheral that has one specific purpose and does that purpose quite well. It's not an addon.

If steering wheels and VR headsets are gimmicks then so are controllers and keyboards.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I don't think it's a gimmick gimmick, but it's very close. Where some accessories are essential for certain type of games (steering wheel, joystick, mouse) and they will dramatically increase not only immersion, but also real life results, the VR doesn't. Not because it doesn't have potential to do so, but because of present implementations and technological limitations. If anything, in current form, it can be distracting. The bottom line is that it kind of is gimmicky, but it's just a matter of time when it won't be (unless it commercially fails by that time).

Years later and its still not a Now thing.

Its not a gimmick, its just not ready yet.