By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR is not a gimmick!

habam said:
SvennoJ said:

Don't remember this?

It's incredibly simple to simulate depth with a screen.

Parallax is just as important a distance cue as stereoscopic vision. Stereoscopic vision is only important for very close objects. For racing games in VR stereoscopic view is important to simulate the car around you, not so much for the road and beyond. In an expensive simulator you're already sitting in the car, plane or boat and the screen is at a distance where stereoscopic cues are far less important. If it was important they could simply use passive 3D glasses as in the cinema.

Anyway i don 't have 6 million for a real car simulator, nor room for a 360 degree curved screen and 8 projectors to feed them. I did have CAD 500 for the next best thing :)

I do know this, had it on my phone. Not compareable to VR.

Totally, I mean besides the fact that it's literally using the same head tracking concepts, it's totally, totally different. Totally. Because you say so.

So back to reality, if you add that concept to a car simulator platform that moves in six degrees of motion and a 300+ degree screen and you have effectively the same depth solution as what VR offers except you don't have to render a car because you're already sitting in a replica of one. Holy shit, it's like it makes VR redundant for high end simulators.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

It can, and it has. Don't be so ignorant.

Current VR doesn't do anything for me, and is not worth the price. Money has nothing to do with it. I got a Switch a month ago which costs more than PSVR.

Thanks for finally admitting it, at least.

For finally admitting what? That has been my stated position from the get-go!

potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

Thanks for finally admitting it, at least.

That you've never really tried it yet.

Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

That you've never really tried it yet.

What are you talking about? I've tried it plenty. I've spent dozens of hours playing VR in the past couple years alone. Just because I don't think it's worth the price, and don't own it doesn't mean I don't have access to it. When I made video games we had a VR Room with Oculus Rift and HTC Vive units and were actually required to use them and get acquainted with them, to understand their limitations and then get together and pitch gameplay ideas for a project. I have a friend that loves his PSVR more than pretty much anything gaming related, and he's always getting me to try out new games he picks up every time I'm over there. I've tried RIGS, Farpoint, Dirt Rally, Gran Turismo Sport, the XWing Demo, Job Simulator, and a few others, including the disc that came with the unit. I've spent at least an hour, if not more on each. He even got the updated headset for the HDR passthrough and offered to sell me his old one for the trade in price. He let borrow it for the weekend, and I spent the better part of it putting it through its paces in my living room and giving it a fair shot.

At the end of it, I could have gotten a well cared for used PSVR for $150. I Passed.

John2290 said:
The_Yoda said:

Part of Kentucky Fried Movie.  Quite crass but a fun movie made up of skits like the one I linked. Definitely not safe if you have kids around though, lots of 70's tits and even some 70's bush if memory serves.  I did a quick search and this is the best quality copy I could find on Youtube of the whole movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIjZ1W2IiV8 

Watched it last night. Fantastic sketch comedy film. Loving how it doesnt stray far from news, TV or film and the jokes still hold up. The inter the dragon skit fell kinda flat but i can barely remember the film anyway but the apocalypse now skits had me going. Short and sweet. Ty.

You're welcome.  It's an oldy but a goody.  Yeah the Fist Full of Yen skit is long and not that good , although I do love the line when the henchmen are being punished:

I'm sending you to Detroit

Noooooooooo!!!!

Around the Network

PSVR is a super gimmick. But its a gimmick I've enjoyed

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick