By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
potato_hamster said:

Ohh that's so sweet that you think that comes anywhere close to the simulators these drivers actually train on. VR forces you to turn your head to look in the mirrors? So does the 180 degree+ displays that high end simulators have.

those simulators dont have full 3D vision, you dont see distances as good as in rl, dont see how sharp a curve is and much more. Thats why they are outdated and actually not as good as VR, every professional driver switched already to VR for sim training (with an special simulator for sure).

Here are the pros and cons:

Around the Network
habam said:
potato_hamster said:

Ohh that's so sweet that you think that comes anywhere close to the simulators these drivers actually train on. VR forces you to turn your head to look in the mirrors? So does the 180 degree+ displays that high end simulators have.

those simulators dont have full 3D vision, you dont see distances as good as in rl, dont see how sharp a curve is and much more. Thats why they are outdated and actually not as good as VR, every professional driver switched already to VR for sim training (with an special simulator for sure).

Here are the pros and cons:

That's nowhere close to what I'm talking about. That's not even great for a home setup.  Here's Ferrari's F1 Simulator

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2012/01/6-million-dollar-spider-ferrari-f1.html

That's what the best racing teams in the world train on. Try getting that experience in PSVR. By the way, that's still not nearly as good as the real thing, and the drivers still log hundreds of laps in a race weekend during the practice sessions leading up to qualifying and the grand prix to get a real feel for the car.

Professional drivers are switching to VR headsets for their simulator work? Which ones? It's certainly not drivers on high budget teams like F1, WEC etc. I can assure you of that.

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 25 January 2018

potato_hamster said:

That's nowhere close to what I'm talking about. That's not even great for a home setup.  Here's Ferrari's F1 Simulator

That's what the best racing teams in the world train on. Try getting that experience in PSVR. By the way, that's still not nearly as good as the real thing, and the drivers still log hundreds of laps in a race weekend during the practice sessions leading up to qualifying and the grand prix to get a real feel for the car.

Professional drivers are switching to VR headsets for their simulator work? Which ones? It's certainly not drivers on high budget teams like F1, WEC etc. I can assure you of that.

The visual expierence on PSVR will be better. You can still use a VR headset with the same simulator to get a better expierence. If you use such a expensive simulator, you obviously wont use a cheap psvr but something like the StarVR

Here is a video about a driver driving a car with a VR headset in his head. Thats how realistic it is:

Oh and this: https://www.wareable.com/vr/virtual-reality-formula-1-teams-drivers-fans-5554

habam said:
potato_hamster said:

The visual expierence on PSVR will be better. You can still use a VR headset with the same simulator to get a better expierence. If you use such a expensive simulator, you obviously wont use a cheap psvr but something like the StarVR

Here is a video about a driver driving a car with a VR headset in his head. Thats how realistic it is:

Oh and this: https://www.wareable.com/vr/virtual-reality-formula-1-teams-drivers-fans-5554

So they think it's neat and they're investigating it, but they're still sticking to the screens?

They're not using VR then.

But even if or when they start to use VR, it'll be FAR more advanced than anything you're currently pimping as "realistic".

By the way, that $6 million Ferrari simulator already has a near 360 degree screen, making VR redundant.

potato_hamster said:

So they think it's neat and they're investigating it, but they're still sticking to the screens?

But even if or when they start to use VR, it'll be FAR more advanced than anything you're currently pimping as "realistic".

By the way, that $6 million Ferrari simulator already has a near 360 degree screen, making VR redundant.

Uhm I dont think your understanding it. Its not just about the 360 screen. Have you used VR yet? its not just a big screen around you. That would look flat. Tehre are 360 degree videos that look like that and its not impressive.  the true 3D depth is the big deal and a very improtant part of VR.

The article is from march btw, so they are likely using it by now. The need to R&D first obviously scince its a brand new technology.

How should it be able to drive a car completly blind if VR wouldnt be realsitic?

Around the Network
habam said:
potato_hamster said:

Uhm I dont think your understanding it. Its not just about the 360 screen. Have you used VR yet? its not just a big screen around you. That would look flat. Tehre are 360 degree videos that look like that and its not impressive.  the true 3D depth is the big deal and a very improtant part of VR.

The article is from march btw, so they are likely using it by now. The need to R&D first obviously scince its a brand new technology.

How should it be able to drive a car completly blind if VR wouldnt be realsitic?

I'm understanding it just fine, thanks. I also understand VR technology, and how the headset actually works and why phrases like "true 3D depth" are complete nonsense and can be achieved just as easily on a curved screen when the viewer is always at a fixed point, like say in the cockpit of a simulator.

I've probably used VR and simulators over my life time more than you have. Stop asking me if I tried it.

potato_hamster said: 

I'm understanding it just fine, thanks. I also understand VR technology, and how the headset actually works and why phrases like "true 3D depth" are complete nonsense and can be achieved just as easily on a curved screen when the viewer is always at a fixed point, like say in the cockpit of a simulator.

no you havnt understand it. Try VR for yourself, its nothing like 3D on a screen.

habam said:

potato_hamster said: 

no you havnt understand it. Try VR for yourself, its nothing like 3D on a screen.

I've tried VR plenty. I've also spent some time working on the development and installation multi-million dollar simulators on full motion bases with a 300+ degree screen. Have you?

It's was very similar to this one actually.

https://www.simrad.com/www/01/nokbg0238.nsf/NewsPrintKM?ReadForm&cat=EEC90CB56B0EAF58C12575A6002FB01D

Please go ahead then and tell me what a $200 PSVR can do that a $3 million full motion base ship simulator can't. It's been a while since I've done the calculations myself, but by all means, lay the geometry down hard and thick. And please, no videos or other sources. You made the claim that I don't understand it. So you prove that you actually do. How is depth calculated in a VR headset, how is it calculated in a full motion simulator with a 300+ degree screen, what are the differences, and what are the pros and cons of each approach?

potato_hamster said:
habam said:

I've probably used VR and simulators over my life time more than you have. Stop asking me if I tried it.

That statement about 3D depth is so much nonsense and I’m actually convinced now that you’ve never ever played a racing game in VR yet. No curved screen can ever display realistic size and distance. You are the one who’s embarrassing himself here.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 25 January 2018

potato_hamster said:
habam said:

I've tried VR plenty. I've also spent some time working on the development and installation multi-million dollar simulators on full motion bases with a 300+ degree screen. Have you?

It's was very similar to this one actually.

https://www.simrad.com/www/01/nokbg0238.nsf/NewsPrintKM?ReadForm&cat=EEC90CB56B0EAF58C12575A6002FB01D

Please go ahead then and tell me what a $200 PSVR can do that a $3 million full motion base ship simulator can't. It's been a while since I've done the calculations myself, but by all means, lay the geometry down hard and thick. And please, no videos or other sources. You made the claim that I don't understand it. So you prove that you actually do. How is depth calculated in a VR headset, how is it calculated in a full motion simulator with a 300+ degree screen, what are the differences, and what are the pros and cons of each approach?

The difference is a VR headset displays two differently calculated display angles, just like your eyes would perceive it in real life. A curved screen only displays one single picture around you. Totally different thing and impression.