By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR is not a gimmick!

VR uses motion controls, so that cant be a gimmick either then.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
VR uses motion controls, so that cant be a gimmick either then.

its not really comparable to motion controlls like wii or kinect. Those systems just used a specific motion to trigger a scripted animation (exactly the same a button press would do).

In VR games, your in the game. So sure you need "motion controlls" to move your arms in the game. Its not really controlls though, its more your real actions.

John2290 said:

I never said VR belongs in every spectrum, maybe before I tried it but it excels in gaming that is for sure, I can't see people putting it on a doing work in photoshop or other productivity apps like they obviously will with AR. 

Yes, but there is nothing stopping those from wanting to make AR tech for gaming though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

habam said:
John2290 said:

That's taking it a bit too far, these days we can rarely speculate past a decade in most fields of tech. One things for sure, the traditional screen is going nowhere and while there are 2d screens there will be people who make and play games on them. Think of it akin to when games went from 2d side scrollers to the illusion of 3d space with polygons. It'll take a a generation to get there it the same way, a lot of tech is shifting in the same way it did back then and it's even harder to keep up with which direction it will go so 5 years to a decade is far enough to be looking forward if even that. 

So you think a scenario like in "ready player one" is impossible?

BTW: In terms of tech. Nobody is really using old mobile phones anymore. Got basically completly replaced by smartphones (or at elast 90+% so far) in just 10 years. So who knows.

Old tech is tough to kill. Some people still use fax and pager today you know. Maybe not a wide market but enough to still making them

It is not the future either...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I had psvr. Felt really gimmicky to me. IE played it loads for about a week then never touched it for 5 months. Sold it.

Last edited by Nogamez - on 21 January 2018

habam said:
PDF said:
I get the argument because most VR games are kinda fun but heavily rely on the novelty of VR. The same way many Wii games were only fun because the novelty of motion controls at the time.

Then you play a game like RE7 and you realize this is the future. VR even gives new life to motion controls. I never really enjoyed them that much but in VR they begin to feel much more natural.

well Motion controlls in VR is vastly different from something like the switch or the wii.

On Wii it was just a way to emulate button presses without pressing buttons. Was fun for many people for sure, but thats basically what it did.

VR has 1:1 tracking. Havin Motion controlls allows you to have arms in the virtual world. Pretty big difference.

The Wii Remote was certainly more primitive but there were more possibilities than button simulation. The simulated button controls were the result of the accelerometer which could only detect 2D motion (vertical versus horizontal orientation, shaking). However, the Wii Remote thanks to the IR camera in conjunction with the IR lightstrip could also orient itself and do 1:1 tracking on a 2D plane, much like a mouse.

The motion controls in the SixAxis/DualShock 3, Wii Motion Plus add-on, Wii Remote Plus (just a Wii Remote with the Motion Plus built-in), Playstation Move, Wii U Gamepad, Vita, 3DS, DualShock 4, Switch Pro Controller, and the Switch Joy-Cons are more or less like the the motion controllers that ship with VR consoles (the Switch Joy-Cons also have the linear resonant actuator for realistic vibration feedback that is included in the Steam Controller and the HTC Vive controller) as they have a gyroscope built-in. The gyroscope allows them to do 1:1 tracking in 3D space. If you have a Wii and the Wii Remote with Motion plus, you can look at Zelda Skyward Sword and on the PS3 the game Sorcery is a good demo for the PS Move where the controls are very similar to many VR style motion games. The big change from those older controllers to things like the DualShock 4 and Joy-Cons is improvements in response times (even though, admittedly, the ones on the Vive and Occulus, at least based on my short experience with demos since I do not own those two VR systems, still has the lowest latency). One other area where the DS4, the newer revisions of the Playstation Move, Switch Pro Controller, and Switch Joy-Cons fall short of the VR controllers in the Vive and Occulus along with some of their descendants (namely the older Playstation Move on PS3 and the Wii U Gamepad) is the lack proper hardware to do on-the-fly reorientation. The older Playstation Move controllers, the Wii U Gamepad, and I assume the Vive and Occulus controllers (I assume these modern VR controllers have it since in my demo period they always stayed oriented) used a magnetometer to calibrate the motion input in realtime by orienting it using the earth's magnetic field; the DS4, Joy-Cons, and newer PS Move controllers no longer have this piece of hardware. The newer Move or older Moves when used on PS4 and DS4 try to compensate for this by using the Playstation Camera to track the visible light on the controller(which also tracks and does real-time calibration of the PSVR headset, which again pales to Occulus's Magnetometer enabled headset and the Vive's laser orientation). The Joy-Cons simply require you to put the controller on a flat surface when they get out of sync, though Nintendo could in the future use the IR camera on the controller in conjunction with some sort of IR light strip to get the same type of orientation as the PS Move on PS4, DS4, and PSVR. Of course none of these solutions is really as good as the magnetometer employed on the more modern VR controllers.

Anyone who's actually tried it with one of the better games tied to it knows it's not a gimmick. It's a legitimately mind blowing experience that's only going to get better as time and technology goes on. 

For the time being it's just a little expensive and bulky/awkard, but both of those issues will resolve as time goes on.

It's more like online gaming I would say ... when online first started, some people said that was a gimmick too. It was more like it was in a raw state when it first appeared on consoles (ie: online gaming on the Dreamcast). 

In 5-10 years the level of experience you're going to be able to get from VR is going to be something else. The headsets will get lighter with better displays, and you'll have fewer/no cables, etc. Eventually you'll have controllers that give more tactile sensory feedback too. And it'll be cheaper too. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 January 2018

No one cares about VR. Seriously do you people live under a rock? No one talks about it, no one buys it hardly. Its so niche. Yeah its great for about 5 minutes till you get motion sickness that lasts all day. Also unpacking and getting out the PSVR headset is such a pain in the ass that after like 5 goes it just stays in your cuoboard. Thats my opionim.

John2290 said:
Shiken said:
It is not the future either...

It's the present, the future is here! :)

Well presently, it seems kind of gimmiky to me...

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261