By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VR is not a gimmick!

habam said:
KiigelHeart said:

Well I'm one of those who didn't like it. Of course it had that WOW factor for couple of minutes. I bet 3D movies were The same when people saw them for the first time.

What device have you used? What games? What did you liked and what did you disliked?

KiigelHeart said: 

Fact is most people would find VR gaming for nolife nerds😂

Yeah same is said about regular gaming scince ages.

HTC Vive, it had plenty of different games and some rollercoaster demo etc. Some action games, scary games and exploration. I mean it was cool for a while but that's it. Using a headset got annoying quickly and some extra immersion isn't worth it. And I couldn't see My surroundings which was disturbing. It's actually creepy to think one day My kids spending their day wearing these headsets. 

Around the Network
KiigelHeart said:

HTC Vive, it had plenty of different games and some rollercoaster demo etc. Some action games, scary games and exploration. I mean it was cool for a while but that's it. Using a headset got annoying quickly and some extra immersion isn't worth it. And I couldn't see My surroundings which was disturbing. It's actually creepy to think one day My kids spending their day wearing these headsets. 

Well the Vive is the most unfortable from the big 3 but alright, might not be for you in that case.

Do you know the book/upcoming movie "Ready Player Once". Possible our future is like that lol:D

habam said:

Well AR definitly has some potenial for production and stuff (so workers see their instruductions all the time and that stuff) but its hard to implement in gaming. Pokemon GO was a cool idea but thats basically already where the technology ends (though doing it with glasses instead if phones would be better).

I also dont think that most gamers wont enjoy VR or wont think its the best way to play games. Its more a fact that (with current low sales) many people just havnt tried it yet. There may be 30, 40 mio people that actually got the chance to try it so far. Thats basically it.

If you see people reacting to VR, in most cases they are blown away and find it far more enjoyable then watching stuff just on a tv.

That's a bit of a tongue tie with the way you started it out. There are 7+ billion people on the planet, while VR has been a thing since the late 80's and during the 90's. It didn't really take off much back then and it's been around once more over the past 4-5 years, with it still being rather small, despite the fact that marketing has become far more clear in displaying the devices and titles for them, when comparing it to 80/90's marketing.

I've done my research, I've seen the people blown away by VR and I've also seen those who just aren't interested in it. People will play games the way they want to play them. 

AR still has a ways to go, but so does VR. I think both can do well with gaming, rather than a sect line of thinking, in that VR>AR with gaming and that AR should only be a part of the work/entertainment space. 

John2290 said:

Absolutely, AR is amazing, especially the Magic leap however they AR and VR are starting at two completely different ends of the spectrum. AR will be mainly focused at productivity and that's where it will shine. These two will merge but for now we have VR focused at gaming and media. Both will benefit each other in software and hardware, I think the industry is trying to move away from the "Virtual reality" and attempting to move it to "Mixed reality". Man, that magic leap is some piece of tech though, mind blowing stuff if what they say is true. Perhaps VR headset will be able to utilize this tech with artificial light vastly reducing the size of headsets to something more resembling a ski mask or perhaps sunglasses. 

Again, that line of thinking is rather narrow minded and not looking at where said tech can go to and from. 3 of you on this site think it belongs in only one spectrum, while the same 3 of you think VR belongs in every spectrum known to man. It ends up showing bias, that you'd rather one side apply to all, with the other being incredibly limited, simply because you cannot see the bigger picture.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

KiigelHeart said:

Well the Vive is the most unfortable from the big 3 but alright, might not be for you in that case. Are you often looking for your sourrinding while you game? I never do it so never bothered me its not possible in vr, If i game, i always watch on my tv and not my sourrinding anyways

Do you know the book/upcoming movie "Ready Player Once". Possible our future is like that lol:D

habam said:
KiigelHeart said:

Well the Vive is the most unfortable from the big 3 but alright, might not be for you in that case.

He said the headset got annoying quickly, but didn't exactly specify that it was "uncomfortable". The headset isn't objectively uncomfortable for every single person out there either from what I've seen.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
habam said:
KiigelHeart said:

Heh I'm thinking about the sex-scene from Stallone movie "Demolition Man" and hoping our future won't be like that.

Chazore said:

I've done my research, I've seen the people blown away by VR and I've also seen those who just aren't interested in it. People will play games the way they want to play them. 

The 2nd is something I havnt really come across myself to be honest. I have demoed my PSVR to like 50? people and everybody was pretty blown away. Some people got motion sick (thats definitly a problem for some) but nobody said the expierence as it is wouldnt be mind blowing. 

Sure most of them havnt bought a PSVR themselfs (though most of them dont even own a ps4 or any console at all), but it was definitly the "coolest" tech stuff I have ever shown to other people (cooler then stuff like the new iPhone and co).

Make me wondering if those people that dislike it just had a bad expierence (bad game, bad setup, whatever) or if they really just didnt liked the expierence of beeing able to basically teleport into a different world.

Vr is a nice addition to gaming, but it will grow alongside regular gaming without replacing it. Vr will never become gaming. It’s a way to game, but never, never everyone will want to play VR 100% of the time.

Marach said:
Vr is a nice addition to gaming, but it will grow alongside regular gaming without replacing it. Vr will never become gaming. It’s a way to game, but never, never everyone will want to play VR 100% of the time.

Never ever? Who knows what is in 50, 100 or even 1000 years. Never ever is completly random.

John2290 said:
habam said:

Never ever? Who knows what is in 50, 100 or even 1000 years. Never ever is completly random.

That's taking it a bit too far, these days we can rarely speculate past a decade in most fields of tech. One things for sure, the traditional screen is going nowhere and while there are 2d screens there will be people who make and play games on them. Think of it akin to when games went from 2d side scrollers to the illusion of 3d space with polygons. It'll take a a generation to get there it the same way, a lot of tech is shifting in the same way it did back then and it's even harder to keep up with which direction it will go so 5 years to a decade is far enough to be looking forward if even that. 

So you think a scenario like in "ready player one" is impossible?

BTW: In terms of tech. Nobody is really using old mobile phones anymore. Got basically completly replaced by smartphones (or at elast 90+% so far) in just 10 years. So who knows.