By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107
habam said:
KBG29 said:
VR is too young to make that move. At this pont it would end up being a Kinect like disaster. PS5 will require much more power to drive the next generation of VR titles. That power can be used to make traditional games run smoother, and or at higher resolutions.

I believe Sony will continue to be about options. I can see PS5 being a Play it your way console. Want a Mobile PS5? We have you covered. Want traditional at home gaming? We have that too. Looking for industry shifting VR expereinces? We offer that for those who want it.

That said, I do think a lot of AAA game development is going to start going VR, with indies picking up traditional TV gaming. It would be a shame for something like GTA, COD, Halo, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, or any other major title to not use the best technology of the time, to deliver the best expereince possible. I think we will definitly have have some AAA VR supported titles that can be fully played in VR or on TV as we bridge the gap.

I do undersand that but I dont think you can compare Kinect to VR. VR is (for most people that tried it) the best way to expierence a game currently available. I dont think many people would prefer playing farpoint without VR and with Call of Duty Dualshock controls (if they had the option).

Kinect never was that. It never was the "best way to expieence a game".

Also the VR buisness is expected to outdo everything a normal gaming console is capable of in terms of revenue and profit extremly.

Do you know the book / upcoming movie "Ready Player One". If something like this gets reality (which definitly is possible), the VR leading company could basically be the "new apple" or even bigger. So I could see sony taking this risk to push VR as good as possible. I also think with VR beeing mandatory, many more people would actually try VR and be surprised how much they actually like it.

Best way? With motion sickness? never ever

Around the Network

All of the 'yes' responses are troll answers. Of course not.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Errorist76 said:

Don't underestimate today's phones. Many of them have better CPUs than PS4 and X1. Still GearVR is not comparable to a real, decent headsets.

They are far far away in terms of graphical powers. I think the strongest phone currently (iPhone X with A11Bionic) has something like 0,3 Gflops. 

Even the normal PS4 struggles with VR to be honest, that why they made "project neo" to make "project morpheus" work better ;)

habam said:
Marach said:

Oh yeah, motion control worked so well that they mostly don’t use it anymore. And there was a lot of games that didn’t used motion controls, and there was the pro controller that bypassed motion control totally. So I don’t see the forcing there...

They actually sold 100 Mio+ consoles in that gen. They almost dropped motion controls and changed them with "tablet controls" with the Wii U though for whatever reason (most likely because nintendos loves to innovate).

We dont know how well a 8th gen Nintendo console with the power of the PS4/Xbox One released in 2013 with motion controlls had done to be honest, I dont think its a 100% flop from a technical perspective, it just "flopped" because of business decissions to not support it anymore.

And Motion controls are actually coming back already with VR.

Don't forget how it's especially motion controls which make VR so accessible to non-gamers/causals...even old people. 

All those Elders React video are pure gold and no one seems to have control issues. 

It's just more intuitive than a controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiRJ-k7iN8

genius16 said:

Most people will adopt to motion sickness pretty soon. VR is overwhelming at first (also for many humans bodies) but humans can adapt pretty quickly. When the first 3D games like Doom gets released, many people got motion sick as well. Not really a problem today anymore, people just got used to it.

Around the Network
habam said:
LivingMetal said:

Tried that with my GearVR.  It felt too "fake." Too virtual.

Most likely because your gear VR is powered by a smartphone with the performance of a 15 year old pc ?

Comparing Gear VR with actual high end VR is like saying "GTA is a bad game. I played it on my iPhone. It looks fake. GTA 5 is the same because its also called GTA".

Most likely you don't know you're talking about because you don't know what smartphone I have.  And GTA is always a bad game in my book so moot point.

LivingMetal said:
habam said:

Sure, some stubborn people that hate technology innovation and advancement will hate it first (most will obviously change their mind pretty quickly but still).

But there will be ALOT more people to actually be interested in the device from the get go. VR as a much bigger appel then normal gaming

High contrast ratio and HDR on a HDTV's are technological innovations and enhancements.  Good to know I'm not stubborn unlike those who insist that it's a fact that VR has a bigger appeal.

I share his opinion though since I own my headset. 

RE7 in VR is leagues above RE7 in 4K HDR, which i played before. 

Now I can't even play that game without VR anymore. It's flat and boring. I don't want to watch someone in that house. I want to BE IN that house.

Errorist76 said:

Don't forget how it's especially motion controls which make VR so accessible to non-gamers/causals...even old people. 

All those Elders React video are pure gold and no one seems to have control issues. 

It's just more intuitive than a controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiRJ-k7iN8

Yeah for sure. 

Shooting stuff my moving an analog stick on a controller in your hands to move a crossair that fixed in the middle of your screen vs just taking the gun and shoot like in real. Its no real competition.

IMO Motion controls work far better in VR then they did with tv based gaming like the wii though. 

genius16 said:
habam said:

I do undersand that but I dont think you can compare Kinect to VR. VR is (for most people that tried it) the best way to expierence a game currently available. I dont think many people would prefer playing farpoint without VR and with Call of Duty Dualshock controls (if they had the option).

Kinect never was that. It never was the "best way to expieence a game".

Also the VR buisness is expected to outdo everything a normal gaming console is capable of in terms of revenue and profit extremly.

Do you know the book / upcoming movie "Ready Player One". If something like this gets reality (which definitly is possible), the VR leading company could basically be the "new apple" or even bigger. So I could see sony taking this risk to push VR as good as possible. I also think with VR beeing mandatory, many more people would actually try VR and be surprised how much they actually like it.

Are you speaking of experience?!

habam said:
Errorist76 said:

Don't underestimate today's phones. Many of them have better CPUs than PS4 and X1. Still GearVR is not comparable to a real, decent headsets.

They are far far away in terms of graphical powers. I think the strongest phone currently (iPhone X with A11Bionic) has something like 0,3 Gflops. 

Even the normal PS4 struggles with VR to be honest, that why they made "project neo" to make "project morpheus" work better ;)

This is ONE of several reasons why gaming on an HDTV is preferable to many as most of us have reasonably pointed out.