By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107
Errorist76 said:
Marach said:

Games like just dance have appeal for some people even if you don’t play them, and they would be just dangerous to play with vr...

Just yesterday I played a demo of this during a VR presentation at the school I work at. It was quite exhausting but a lot of fun, especially for those watching ;D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/422860/Holodance/

And a lot of broken furnitures and injuries due to the fact that you don’t see where you are physically in the room. I get that in a classroom it might be good, but in a regular house, not so sure...

Around the Network
habam said:
Marach said:

It’s not what we say. We are saying that some games are not fit for VR, and will never be. Gamers are as varied as there games. Saying that every games would have a VR. version is non-sense. And if you have games that have a 2D version with vr option, then you nullify the initial statement that say the the ps5 would be VR only. 

We are not saying that VR is bad, just that we don’t to play 100% of the time in VR

Like I already said. Even if we say those games exist and you cant transit them into VR without heavily changing the way they play (im no game designer so I dont know that).

There is still the possibility to play those 2D games in a virual cinema on a screen as big as you want. Curved if you want. With your buddies sitting next to you if you want (even when they live on the other site of the planet). You can also play them in any enviroment you want. 

Here is a app that already does that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFk-zLbc4s8

Like I said in terms of Fifa. Play it in the stadium. Your in the stadium (maybe even with your friends or thousands strangers or npcs whatever). It just looks like when you go in the stadium in RL. But you can control the players in the field because your just playing Fifa. Thats something VR allows you to do.

Dont forget that we will se even much, much more advanced apps like this in the future.

Tried that with my GearVR.  It felt too "fake." Too virtual.

Marach said:
habam said:

Well Nintendo did something similar with the Wii. Forced Motion Controls. Worked pretty good. But we will see.

Im pretty sure anytime in the future VR wont even be tethered to a playstation at all anymore but be a standalone device (so people can just buy a VR device). Already coming but the tech isnt there yet.

Oh yeah, motion control worked so well that they mostly don’t use it anymore. And there was a lot of games that didn’t used motion controls, and there was the pro controller that bypassed motion control totally. So I don’t see the forcing there...

Ehhrm...all of VR is using motion controls now. Motion controls are awesome with GT Sport, btw. The Switch uses motion controls for some games, then there is LABO. 

Marach said:
habam said:

Well Nintendo did something similar with the Wii. Forced Motion Controls. Worked pretty good. But we will see.

Im pretty sure anytime in the future VR wont even be tethered to a playstation at all anymore but be a standalone device (so people can just buy a VR device). Already coming but the tech isnt there yet.

Oh yeah, motion control worked so well that they mostly don’t use it anymore. And there was a lot of games that didn’t used motion controls, and there was the pro controller that bypassed motion control totally. So I don’t see the forcing there...

AR/MR will be huge as well, probably easier for people to adapt to as well. This game would be a great fit for MR. The headset just scans your environment and retextures it. Problem solved.

LivingMetal said: 
habam said: 

Like I already said. Even if we say those games exist and you cant transit them into VR without heavily changing the way they play (im no game designer so I dont know that).

There is still the possibility to play those 2D games in a virual cinema on a screen as big as you want.Curved if you want. With your buddies sitting next to you if you want (even when they live on the other site of the planet). You can also play them in any enviroment you want. 

Here is a app that already does that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFk-zLbc4s8

Like I said in terms of Fifa. Play it in the stadium. Your in the stadium (maybe even with your friends or thousands strangers or npcs whatever). It just looks like when you go in the stadium in RL. But you can control the players in the field because your just playing Fifa. Thats something VR allows you to do.

Dont forget that we will se even much, much more advanced apps like this in the future.

He's obviously not talking about GearVR. He's talking about decent headsets and much more advanced tech in the future.

Marach said:

They actually sold 100 Mio+ consoles in that gen. They almost dropped motion controls and changed them with "tablet controls" with the Wii U though for whatever reason (most likely because nintendos loves to innovate).

We dont know how well a 8th gen Nintendo console with the power of the PS4/Xbox One released in 2013 with motion controlls had done to be honest, I dont think its a 100% flop from a technical perspective, it just "flopped" because of business decissions to not support it anymore.

And Motion controls are actually coming back already with VR.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
habam said:

Do you think there will be people that would still play without VR in the future? Maybe because of motion sickness?

like me :)

LivingMetal said:

Most likely because your gear VR is powered by a smartphone with the performance of a 15 year old pc ?

Comparing Gear VR with actual high end VR is like saying "GTA is a bad game. I played it on my iPhone. It looks fake. GTA 5 is the same because its also called GTA".

habam said:
LivingMetal said:

Most likely because your gear VR is powered by a smartphone with the performance of a 15 year old pc ?

Comparing Gear VR with actual high end VR is like saying "GTA is a bad game. I played it on my iPhone. It looks fake. GTA 5 is the same because its also called GTA".

Don't underestimate today's phones. Many of them have better CPUs than PS4 and X1. Still GearVR is not comparable to a real, decent headsets.

Marach said:

Ok, I get it, but seriously, I don’t need to play South Park, cities skyline, rayman, etc on a 10 foot high virtual screen. And playing the game on a tv emulator while there’s a real tv in front of me seem superfluous. And like I said before, personally, I cannot play completely cut out of my environment for that long. Yeah I might be sitting with people at the other side of the world, but what about the ones I live with ? My kids or my wife may want to ask me something, or I need to at least have an eye on my kids to be sure that they don’t destroy the house. There still two players games that exist and will continue to exist, so what, you buy two vr headset ? They will cost more than regular controller. Games like just dance have appeal for some people even if you don’t play them, and they would be just dangerous to play with vr...

Yeah that could/is actually a problem of VR, im curios if/how developers will fix it. I dont think merging real objects into the virtual work would be impossible though. So very possible that your kid could just appear in your game. Maybe in the future all family members will have their own VR headsets and join others vr sessions lol who knows :D

habam said:
DevilRising said:
If it was, that would be a perfect reason for many, myself included, NOT to ever buy it.

Many people aren't interested in gimmicks. They just want to sit down and play some fuckin' games.

Sure, some stubborn people that hate technology innovation and advancement will hate it first (most will obviously change their mind pretty quickly but still).

But there will be ALOT more people to actually be interested in the device from the get go. VR as a much bigger appel then normal gaming

High contrast ratio and HDR on a HDTV's are technological innovations and enhancements.  Good to know I'm not stubborn unlike those who insist that it's a fact that VR has a bigger appeal.