By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107
Ka-pi96 said:
Marach said:

But them they would need to keep the ps4 alive for games that are not vr, so what would make this a ps5 ? 

the trouble is that vr game need more ressources to produce, and I really don’t think that every game can be in vr. First person shooter, ok but a game like nhl or fifa vr ? A puzzle game vr ? A rts in vr ? Final fantasy vr ?

and if you can spend at least an hour totally cut out from your environment, good for you, but you know many of us have family or kids that we still interact with while we game. So I really think vr is a neat addition to a console, but it will never be for everyone.

Exactly. Vr may work for some games, but there's plenty of people who like different kinds of games and some of them would either be terrible in vr or just wouldn't really be possible in the first place. Something that's often ignored by the fanatics...

And on the other hand there are countless games that get excelled to a whole different level in VR, something impossible without it. Be it racing games, space shooters, flight games like Ultrawings or Horror games like RE7...social stuff like Star Trek Bridge Crew or VR Chat, Rec Room etc. . Hell even Skyrim is a whole different game in VR.

Games that are simply impossible without VR will be the future. Something like Sparc for example, but there will also still be a lot of games that will have different versions or an additional VR version on top of the 2D screen version.

But how can you know that if you refuse to try it?! I mean, you also said you will also never drive a car because you think you will not like it, am I remembering right?!

I'm thinking maybe Sony should'n be to defensive in pushing VR when people like this exist.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 19 January 2018

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
habam said:

If you try it and dislike it I will accept your opinion. But people that refuse to even try new tech to see how it is but still build a opinion, yes ar stubborn.

Oh, so you're one of them? Do you think it's impossible for people to tell whether they'd like something without trying it all the time, or only when it suits you?

Let's find out... have you ever eaten a slug? You might like it, won't know until you try it though...

Have you ever been to jail? You might like it, won't know until you try it though...

Have you ever been shot? You might like it, won't know until you try it though...

That's some very strange analogies here. Is there some deep trauma involved, letting you get those negative assoziations? 

Ka-pi96 said: 

Let's find out... have you ever eaten a slug? You might like it, won't know until you try it though...

Have you ever been to jail? You might like it, won't know until you try it though...

Have you ever been shot? You might like it, won't know until you try it though...

1. No and I dont tell people on the internet how it is either btw. How should I know if I like food I have never eaten? Thats impossible.

2. Same

3. Same

How many people have you met in your life that told you that anything of the 3 things is "awesome" ? How often have you read it on the internet? Where people said "dude you need to try to get into jail, its so awesome" ? How often?

How often have you read people that actually own/tried VR to tell others how awesome it is?

If you never have tried anything, you build your opinion about the opinions of others. Of all your 3 things, you habe thousands of people that already "tried" it with most actually not liking it. So how do you compare that to VR? You cant have a real own opinion about anything you never tried. Well I dont even know for sure that I dont like to eat Sh!t because I obviously never tried it, how should I know if its tasty lol ?

Errorist76 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Exactly. Vr may work for some games, but there's plenty of people who like different kinds of games and some of them would either be terrible in vr or just wouldn't really be possible in the first place. Something that's often ignored by the fanatics...

And on the other hand there are countless games that get excelled to a whole different level in VR, something impossible without it. Be it racing games, space shooters, flight games like Ultrawings or Horror games like RE7...social stuff like Star Trek Bridge Crew or VR Chat, Rec Room etc. . Hell even Skyrim is a whole different game in VR.

Games that are simply impossible without VR will be the future. Something like Sparc for example, but there will also still be a lot of games that will have different versions or an additional VR version on top of the 2D screen version.

But how can you know that if you refuse to try it?! I mean, you said you will also never drive a car because you think you will not like it, am I remembering right?!

It’s not what we say. We are saying that some games are not fit for VR, and will never be. Gamers are as varied as there games. Saying that every games would have a VR. version is non-sense. And if you have games that have a 2D version with vr option, then you nullify the initial statement that say the the ps5 would be VR only. 

We are not saying that VR is bad, just that we don’t to play 100% of the time in VR

Marach said:
Errorist76 said:

But how can you know that if you refuse to try it?! I mean, you said you will also never drive a car because you think you will not like it, am I remembering right?!

It’s not what we say. We are saying that some games are not fit for VR, and will never be. Gamers are as varied as there games. Saying that every games would have a VR. version is non-sense. And if you have games that have a 2D version with vr option, then you nullify the initial statement that say the the ps5 would be VR only. 

We are not saying that VR is bad, just that we don’t to play 100% of the time in VR

I didn't state anything different. I am with you on that and that's why I don't think PS5 will ever be VR only. I was responding to Ka-Pi and he has a totally different and more radical opinion than you. He says he will never even try it...and that with one available in his household. Just because he "knows" he will not like it. 

Around the Network

No way will PS5 be VR only, the same way PS4 wasn't digital only. It will almost certainly be built to be VR ready out of the box, though, with the only extra purchase being the headset itself. With the extra power for higher frame rates, I'm sure more games will be designed to be fully compatible with both traditional and VR formats, not unlike RE7.

This thread and OP's attitude are hilarious.

Btw, obviously not. Sony is not crazy and wouldn't want another PSP Go on their hands (a stance where they tried and risked something new/advanced, but ultimately failed because the market wasn't ready).

I bet VR will be a more accessible and better experience on PS5, but Sony wouldn't want to limit their mass appeal to only people that care about VR. There are people that tried and didn't like it, there are people with motion sickness and there are people who would not want to pay more $$$ for something they don't care that much.

Every game being a VR experience would limit graphics A LOT as well. I doubt Sony would want that. The only way to avoid it would be by making an extremely powerful and expensive console. I also doubt Sony would want that.

So... no. I'm 99% sure this won't be the case next generation.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Marach said:

Like I already said. Even if we say those games exist and you cant transit them into VR without heavily changing the way they play (im no game designer so I dont know that).

There is still the possibility to play those 2D games in a virual cinema on a screen as big as you want. Curved if you want. With your buddies sitting next to you if you want (even when they live on the other site of the planet). You can also play them in any enviroment you want. 

Here is a app that already does that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFk-zLbc4s8

Like I said in terms of Fifa. Play it in the stadium. Your in the stadium (maybe even with your friends or thousands strangers or npcs whatever). It just looks like when you go in the stadium in RL. But you can control the players in the field because your just playing Fifa. Thats something VR allows you to do.

Dont forget that we will se even much, much more advanced apps like this in the future.

LipeJJ said:

Btw, obviously not. Sony is not crazy and wouldn't want another PSP Go on their hands (a stance where they tried and risked something new/advanced, but ultimately failed because the market wasn't ready).

I bet VR will be a more accessible and better experience on PS5, but Sony wouldn't want to limit their mass appeal to only people that care about VR. There are people that tried and didn't like it, there are people with motion sickness and there are people who would not want to pay more $$$ for something they don't care that much.

Every game being a VR experience would limit graphics A LOT as well. I doubt Sony would want that. The only way to avoid it would be by making an extremely powerful and expensive console. I also doubt Sony would want that.

It also won't be the case the gen after next generation, exactly for the reasons you mentioned. No matter how popular VR becomes, and it will become much more popular, it will never come close to full coverage of the gaming market. It's not supposed to either hence why I don't understand why some people seam so scared of it, as if it would take anything away from them. If anything it adds to gaming as a whole.

LipeJJ said:

Well Nintendo did something similar with the Wii. Forced Motion Controls. Worked pretty good. But we will see.

Im pretty sure anytime in the future VR wont even be tethered to a playstation at all anymore but be a standalone device (so people can just buy a VR device). Already coming but the tech isnt there yet.