By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107

No, that'd be a dreadful idea. Don't think they should ever force VR on everyone cause there's many people like me who don't care for it.

Around the Network

Not a chance but will be built with VR in mind to help push the psvr v2

habam said:
Ka-pi96 said:

None, and none. If I wanted to try vr I could, my Dad owns PSVR and keeps trying to get me to try it. I'm just not interested in the slightest though. Having a screen strapped to my face just doesn't interest me. Sitting down on a sofa with a controller in my hand and playing some FIFA on the TV is what I want to do and that experience would only be worse without a TV.

Ah I see. I know some people that were thinking the same. They changed their mind pretty quickly after expierincing vr for the first time.

50 years backs you would most likely refuse to try those new "telivision" and "movies" because your "fine" with your books and "what you want". Technology will gladly always advance so, some people just need longer to adept. No problem. Even if you refuse to play it, you could still use a PS4 for flat games, just dont buy the ps5 in that case ;)

But them they would need to keep the ps4 alive for games that are not vr, so what would make this a ps5 ? 

the trouble is that vr game need more ressources to produce, and I really don’t think that every game can be in vr. First person shooter, ok but a game like nhl or fifa vr ? A puzzle game vr ? A rts in vr ? Final fantasy vr ?

and if you can spend at least an hour totally cut out from your environment, good for you, but you know many of us have family or kids that we still interact with while we game. So I really think vr is a neat addition to a console, but it will never be for everyone.

DevilRising said:
If it was, that would be a perfect reason for many, myself included, NOT to ever buy it.

Many people aren't interested in gimmicks. They just want to sit down and play some fuckin' games.

Sure, some stubborn people that hate technology innovation and advancement will hate it first (most will obviously change their mind pretty quickly but still).

But there will be ALOT more people to actually be interested in the device from the get go. VR as a much bigger appel then normal gaming

For example: Check out what elders think about VR (there are multiple similar video on youtube in case you think its staged):

Errorist76 said:
DevilRising said:
If it was, that would be a perfect reason for many, myself included, NOT to ever buy it.

Many people aren't interested in gimmicks. They just want to sit down and play some fuckin' games.

People STILL calling VR a gimmick sure have to try it yet.

At best, it's just a another option based on the personal pros and cons of preferences vs. practicality.

Around the Network
Marach said:

But them they would need to keep the ps4 alive for games that are not vr, so what would make this a ps5 ? 

I dont think sony will make any non vr games anymore pretty soon. There might be some indie devs making some games still (like there are still some indie devs doing 2D games where all big AAA studios working on big 3D games often with open worlds).

Ka-pi96 said:

Exactly. Vr may work for some games, but there's plenty of people who like different kinds of games and some of them would either be terrible in vr or just wouldn't really be possible in the first place. Something that's often ignored by the fanatics...

You can play fifa like it is currently in a giant cinema, with a screen as big as you want. Curved if you want. With your friends sitting right next to #you in the cinema, while they live on the other side of the earth.

Its already possible btw. called "Bigscreen"

You can also watch and play Fifa while sitting in a football stadium, it will look and feel just like you where really there, but you get the possibility to control the players.

Im no game designer and already found 2 ways to play fifa in VR that are possible far better then just playing it on a tv. What do you think a professional game designer could think of?

Last edited by habam - on 19 January 2018

Ka-pi96 said: 

Somebody that can't accept that others like and dislike different things to them calling other people stubborn? hmm...

If you try it and dislike it I will accept your opinion. But people that refuse to even try new tech to see how it is but still build a opinion, yes ar stubborn.

habam said:
Aeolus451 said:
I think that the PS5 will be VR capable but it will be primarily designed for and used with a TV. VR is still in it's infancy. It won't replace TVs in gaming until it becomes like SAO where you lay in a bed while in a sleep-like state with the headset on ya, playing the game like you're in it.

you can already do that with current VR

No, you can't. It's not even close.

JustThatGamer said:
No, that'd be a dreadful idea. Don't think they should ever force VR on everyone cause there's many people like me who don't care for it.

yeah but most people that dont care just dont care because they havnt tried it yet (do you?). They dont know how it is and what they are actually missing out.

Basically like when TVs became a thing and people would had said "im not interested in TVs. I have read books all my life and thats what I like. Havnt even seen a TV but i dont care".

In the end they will most likely change 90% of the peoples mind that "dont care" pretty quickly.