By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107
Ka-pi96 said:
habam said:

which vr headset and which software have you tried that turned you off that much and why?

None, and none. If I wanted to try vr I could, my Dad owns PSVR and keeps trying to get me to try it. I'm just not interested in the slightest though. Having a screen strapped to my face just doesn't interest me. Sitting down on a sofa with a controller in my hand and playing some FIFA on the TV is what I want to do and that experience would only be worse without a TV.

Ah I see. I know some people that were thinking the same. They changed their mind pretty quickly after expierincing vr for the first time.

50 years backs you would most likely refuse to try those new "telivision" and "movies" because your "fine" with your books and "what you want". Technology will gladly always advance so, some people just need longer to adept. No problem. Even if you refuse to play it, you could still use a PS4 for flat games, just dont buy the ps5 in that case ;)

Around the Network

VR is too young to make that move. At this pont it would end up being a Kinect like disaster. PS5 will require much more power to drive the next generation of VR titles. That power can be used to make traditional games run smoother, and or at higher resolutions.

I believe Sony will continue to be about options. I can see PS5 being a Play it your way console. Want a Mobile PS5? We have you covered. Want traditional at home gaming? We have that too. Looking for industry shifting VR expereinces? We offer that for those who want it.

That said, I do think a lot of AAA game development is going to start going VR, with indies picking up traditional TV gaming. It would be a shame for something like GTA, COD, Halo, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, or any other major title to not use the best technology of the time, to deliver the best expereince possible. I think we will definitly have have some AAA VR supported titles that can be fully played in VR or on TV as we bridge the gap.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

DialgaMarine said:
I sincerely doubt it. VR is taking off, but still very slowly. It doesn’t have nearly enough mass appeal yet to justify being the primary controller. I think it’s obvious PS5 will launch alongside an updated PSVR headset, but Sony isn’t going to risk pulling a Xbone, and make it mandatory.

yeah its definitly risky. But the "problem" with VR in most cases is still that people havnt used it. If Sony makes it mandatory, they kind of "force" people to at least try it and give it bigger appeal.

VR is also expected to make much, much more revenue in the future then something like the playstation would ever be capable of. Its expected to likely even make more revnue then smartphones nowadays. So there are reasons to take a risk. We will see I think.

habam said:
LivingMetal said:

Because this:

is in all possible ways a huge advancement to this:

Not when you have one of these...

Around the Network

No chance. VR is a nice extra way to play. Nothing more, and that won't change in the coming 5 to 10 years.

KBG29 said:
VR is too young to make that move. At this pont it would end up being a Kinect like disaster. PS5 will require much more power to drive the next generation of VR titles. That power can be used to make traditional games run smoother, and or at higher resolutions.

I believe Sony will continue to be about options. I can see PS5 being a Play it your way console. Want a Mobile PS5? We have you covered. Want traditional at home gaming? We have that too. Looking for industry shifting VR expereinces? We offer that for those who want it.

That said, I do think a lot of AAA game development is going to start going VR, with indies picking up traditional TV gaming. It would be a shame for something like GTA, COD, Halo, Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, or any other major title to not use the best technology of the time, to deliver the best expereince possible. I think we will definitly have have some AAA VR supported titles that can be fully played in VR or on TV as we bridge the gap.

I do undersand that but I dont think you can compare Kinect to VR. VR is (for most people that tried it) the best way to expierence a game currently available. I dont think many people would prefer playing farpoint without VR and with Call of Duty Dualshock controls (if they had the option).

Kinect never was that. It never was the "best way to expieence a game".

Also the VR buisness is expected to outdo everything a normal gaming console is capable of in terms of revenue and profit extremly.

Do you know the book / upcoming movie "Ready Player One". If something like this gets reality (which definitly is possible), the VR leading company could basically be the "new apple" or even bigger. So I could see sony taking this risk to push VR as good as possible. I also think with VR beeing mandatory, many more people would actually try VR and be surprised how much they actually like it.

Ka-pi96 said:

Pretty sure that won't be an issue. Sony aren't the kind of company to say "play games the way we tell you to or just buy our last gen console". That's more Microsoft's thing

Or Nintendo (wii) ^^

LivingMetal said:

Not when you have one of these...

How can this be better? In VR the "screen" is obviously still much bigger, everything as a real 3D scale. How can "watching stuff through a window" compete with that?

And you could basically just create a virtual cinema with a screen as big as you want. 

No it wont. Similar to games being digital only wont happen.

It is certainly the future of gaming however.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?