By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107

I think VR will be as focused upon in the PS5 as 3D is currently with the PS4.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
I think VR will be as focused upon in the PS5 as 3D is currently with the PS4.

all big ps4 games are 3d games, 2d games are pretty dead scince the 8/16 bit era

habam said:
LivingMetal said:

Not when you have one of these...

How can this be better? In VR the "screen" is obviously still much bigger, everything as a real 3D scale. How can "watching stuff through a window" compete with that?

And you could basically just create a virtual cinema with a screen as big as you want. 

I have an Oculus Rift, and I enjoy VR quite a bit.  I've tried the Virtual Cinema, and it's cool and all, but when it comes to watching movies, I prefer to look at my tv rather than have a headset on.  I still think there would be backlash if PS5 released with a VR only sku though.

Mandalore76 said:

I have an Oculus Rift, and I enjoy VR quite a bit.  I've tried the Virtual Cinema, and it's cool and all, but when it comes to watching movies, I prefer to look at my tv rather than have a headset on.  I still think there would be backlash if PS5 released with a VR only sku though.

Currently I do agree because of the low resolution. But with 4k headsets it might be different (+ headsets beeign smaller, lighter, mor comfortable).

Have you used bigscreen?with a friend? Watching stuff virtually together is mindblowing

Forcing VR on the console as the main way to play would be worse than anything Nintendo has ever forced on its users imo. Even back with the Wii point & waggle it’s still playing on a television like any other system. VR is a completely different style of gaming that favors standing up and moving around rather than relaxing on a couch. I’ve owned a Oculus Rift and while it was fun, there was a number of times I switched to my PS4/PC/Switch just to sit back and relax on a couch playing a game with a regular controller.

I very likely wouldn’t buy a PS5 if they forced it. Unless they had completely solved every major issue I have currently with VR (motion sickness, combersome wires, headset pricing, lens screen door effect, etc). Which was the reason I returned my Rift. It’s very hard to play a local multiplayer game when each “controller” headset would likely be upwards of $150+.

I believe Sony likey would make PSVR take over for the portable line as the “other pillar” outside of their main console.

Around the Network
shoichi said:

Forcing VR on the console as the main way to play would be worse than anything Nintendo has ever forced on its users imo. Even back with the Wii point & waggle it’s still playing on a television like any other system. VR is a completely different style of gaming that favors standing up and moving around rather than relaxing on a couch. I’ve owned a Oculus Rift and while it was fun, there was a number of times I switched to my PS4/PC/Switch just to sit back and relax on a couch playing a game with a regular controller.

I very likely wouldn’t buy a PS5 if they forced it. Unless they had completely solved every major issue I have currently with VR (motion sickness, combersome wires, headset pricing, lens screen door effect, etc). Which was the reason I returned my Rift. It’s very hard to play a local multiplayer game when each “controller” headset would likely be upwards of $150+.

I believe Sony likey would make PSVR take over for the portable line as the “other pillar” outside of their main console.

I think most people are turned of by VR especially because of Motion Sickness.

In my expierence its just something the body needs to adept to. I got motion sick in the first weeks as well (I think almost everybody will). But it went away after some time frequently playing. 

Best way to do it is to play stationary games first and then increase the intensity of your games slowly. Now a days I can play every VR game with full free movement (Skyrim,Re7, Farpoint) for hours without ever feeling sick. It took me like 1 months of frequently playing to overcome it completly though

I hope not, VR is great and all since it brings a lot of innovative ways of playing but I just want to sit down and play a game on my TV, not get immersed and enter a virtual "world" everytime I want to play video-games.

habam said:

Do you think the PS5 will still be capable of beeing connected to a TV to watch 2D content? Do you think Sony will still make flat games for the Ps5?

VR is expected to take of heavily on the near future (and sales are already increasing during the past months). Most people that got the chance to try VR were amazed, most think its the "future of gaming".

With todays problems (low resolution, wires) beeing sort out in the future, do you think many people would even care to play games on their tv anymore?

The Ps4 and Pro are pretty much capable of doing all kind of crazy flat games, could a possible PS5 even be a significant improvement or will it just be higher resolution/more frames for pancake games ?(most people dont even care about resolution/FPS => see sales of the PS4Pro in comparison to the slim).

I think flat gaming will most likely still be around in the future (like 2D games are still around now). But im not sure if they will be a thing you need to use your PS4 for to enjoy or if sony will bother to support that typ of gaming still in 2020/2021.

What do you think?

"flat games" is probably one of the most terrible terms I've ever heard to describe a game that isn't VR.

No, PS5 won't be a VR only device. You can't play FIFA in VR and yes, it's a game important enough for PlayStation to push Sony not to make a console VR only

Luke888 said:
habam said:

Do you think the PS5 will still be capable of beeing connected to a TV to watch 2D content? Do you think Sony will still make flat games for the Ps5?

VR is expected to take of heavily on the near future (and sales are already increasing during the past months). Most people that got the chance to try VR were amazed, most think its the "future of gaming".

With todays problems (low resolution, wires) beeing sort out in the future, do you think many people would even care to play games on their tv anymore?

The Ps4 and Pro are pretty much capable of doing all kind of crazy flat games, could a possible PS5 even be a significant improvement or will it just be higher resolution/more frames for pancake games ?(most people dont even care about resolution/FPS => see sales of the PS4Pro in comparison to the slim).

I think flat gaming will most likely still be around in the future (like 2D games are still around now). But im not sure if they will be a thing you need to use your PS4 for to enjoy or if sony will bother to support that typ of gaming still in 2020/2021.

What do you think?

"flat games" is probably one of the most terrible terms I've ever heard to describe a game that isn't VR.

No, PS5 won't be a VR only device. You can't play FIFA in VR and yes, it's a game important enough for PlayStation to push Sony not to make a console VR only

this was already discussed, please read the thread before commenting.

Long story short: in terms of fifa you could sit into a real stadium (like if you go into one) with the ability to control the players. As an example.