By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you think the PS5 will be a VR only console?

Have you tried VR yet?

Yes! 21 19.63%

Nope. 86 80.37%

Total:107
Ka-pi96 said:
Errorist76 said:

No, most of you actually THINK that it is that way, when most of you lack the ability to even decide objectively, since you haven't extensively tried it out yet.

Literally everybody lacks that ability since it's a subjective thing...

No man....if you had tried it and don't like it personally, you could at least understand objectively why people like it, even if your subjective opinion might be that it's not for you. 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
That would be the biggest shot in the foot in gaming history.

I dont think so. This would likely be the biggest step up in gaming history (currently the biggest step is actually the release of first gen VR headsets). There was never such a jump before, definitly bigger jump then going from 16 bit (SNES) to 3D polygon graphics (N63 with Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Ps1 and FF7 and co).

habam said:
LivingMetal said:

This is ONE of several reasons why gaming on an HDTV is preferable to many as most of us have reasonably pointed out.

Even VR on the base PS4 with all its limits and shortcomings is lightyears above playing just on a 4k tv though. Especilly for cross plattform games like Resident Evil 7, Skyrim, Eve and co.

In Star Wars battlefront you can sit in the Xwing like it would be real. Its so much better then playing fighter squadron, its hard to tell lol.

Doesn't matter.  1,000 opinionated YouTube videos doesn't turn opinion into fact.  As I said earlier to another poster, VR can be more immersive depending on the genre or title.  But I don't play Star Wars.  So it's a non-issue with me.

habam said:
PAOerfulone said:
That would be the biggest shot in the foot in gaming history.

I dont think so. This would likely be the biggest step up in gaming history (currently the biggest step is actually the release of first gen VR headsets). There was never such a jump before, definitly bigger jump then going from 16 bit (SNES) to 3D polygon graphics (N63 with Zelda OOT, Mario 64, Ps1 and FF7 and co).

You're limiting your audience is what you're doing.  Period.

LivingMetal said:

Doesn't matter.  1,000 opinionated YouTube videos doesn't turn opinion into fact.  As I said earlier to another poster, VR can be more immersive depending on the genre or title.  But I don't play Star Wars.  So it's a non-issue with me.

Well in that case there cant be "facts" at all. Opinions are obviously always subjective. There are actually people in your society that dont like watching movies, dont like drinking alcohol, dont like nor own a smartphone or dont like beeing in a relationship or havin sex. So there will be 100% also people that wont like VR for sure.

The question is, how many people will that be ? Nobody knows for sure, but speaking from my own expierence (letting like ~50 people try my PSVR in the past 15 months), Im very sury it will be a big minority and the big majority of people will love VR. From the 50 people, nobody disliked it or wasnt amazed. Not everybody thought it would be the best thing in life for sure, but many of those people also dont like videogaming in general so vr gaming wasnt what they want to do in their free time either.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
LivingMetal said:

This is ONE of several reasons why gaming on an HDTV is preferable to many as most of us have reasonably pointed out.

No, most of you actually THINK that it is that way, when most of you lack the ability to even decide objectively, since you haven't extensively tried it out yet.

I've tried VR, and I've tried it enough.  You don't have to know what I've tried because chances are it's never going to be good enough for you unless I give you the response that you would agree with.  So if you cannot agree to disagree, than you are as intolerable and stubborn as the OP deeming self-righteousness for yourself over something as trivial as personal preference.  This is not the Way of the Gamer. 

LivingMetal said:

You're limiting your audience is what you're doing.  Period.

Its possible that VR gets much much bigger then gaming is currently. Maybe even bigger then the smartphone market. 

Loosing 10 or 20 % of the playstation community that REALLY dislikes vr or dont want to try it but having the option to maybe sell 100 Mio Playstation VRs per year (like apple is selling iPhones) wont limit your audience ;)

I dont say this is a given, but still possible. How likely is it? Everybody needs to have a own opinion about that ;)

LivingMetal said:

I've tried VR, and I've tried it enough.  You don't have to know what I've tried because chances are it's never going to be good enough for you unless I give you the response that you would agree with.  So if you cannot agree to disagree, than you are as intolerable and stubborn as the OP deeming self-righteousness for yourself over something as trivial as personal preference.  This is not the Way of the Gamer. 

If you just have tried gearVR just be aware that "high end vr" that uses far more powerfull hardware, positional tracking and real hand tracked controllers is actually alot different. 

GearVR will likely still give you some impressions but it cant immerse you into the world in my expierence (most likely because of lacking graphics and lacking positional tracking, so you cant move in the world but the world will move with you like beeing glued to your head).

If you have tried a Rift/vive/Psvr or WMR headset and something like superhot VR with a good setup and disliked it, I dont think your opinion would change with other hardware or software because most stuff is pretty similar in terms of quality to that setup.

Ka-pi96 said:

iggest difference obviously is that a lot of people need phones for their job or whatever. Nobody will ever need a VR device. It's an entertainment device, those aren't necessary.

You dont need a iPhone for your job. A cheap 50$ phone will be alright ;) iPhone are just for entertainment, nothing more.

VR has infinity potential (is there anything you actually "cant" do in VR? I dont think so. Everything you can imagine you want to do is possible in VR). This has FAR more potential then the Wii ever had.

habam said:
DialgaMarine said:
I sincerely doubt it. VR is taking off, but still very slowly. It doesn’t have nearly enough mass appeal yet to justify being the primary controller. I think it’s obvious PS5 will launch alongside an updated PSVR headset, but Sony isn’t going to risk pulling a Xbone, and make it mandatory.

yeah its definitly risky. But the "problem" with VR in most cases is still that people havnt used it. If Sony makes it mandatory, they kind of "force" people to at least try it and give it bigger appeal.

VR is also expected to make much, much more revenue in the future then something like the playstation would ever be capable of. Its expected to likely even make more revnue then smartphones nowadays. So there are reasons to take a risk. We will see I think.

Yeah, but once again you’re talking a scenario that is almost exactly like the launch Xbone with Kinect. Clearly, gamers weren’t too happy about being told they had to have it; making it a mandatory way to play games is much worse in a way. You can’t force mass appeal; it has to be earned. I like PSVR, but I understand why so many aren’t making use of it yet. It’ll grow and make money for sure, and the device can still be a massive success without being mandatory. In other words, people don’t typically like being told they have to have something lol 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon