By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is my English really that bad?

SegataSanshiro said:
Just don't for my sanity use an S at the end of millions when it's not needed. For example, X game sold 4 millions. < This drives me nuts. I've been noticing it a lot recently from people.

That's because in many languages you use the plural for numbers. Dutch doesn't, like English. German does though as well as french.

And please don't ask me anything about french, forgot almost everything since school.

Around the Network
captain carot said:
SegataSanshiro said:
Just don't for my sanity use an S at the end of millions when it's not needed. For example, X game sold 4 millions. < This drives me nuts. I've been noticing it a lot recently from people.

That's because in many languages you use the plural for numbers. Dutch doesn't, like English. German does though as well as french.

And please don't ask me anything about french, forgot almost everything since school.

Still doesn't excuse when they do it after 1 million. 1 is not plural. Saw it the other day. "1 millions"  But if anyone is having trouble then they can download this. https://app.grammarly.com/

I haven't learned how to read English yet, but I can write it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

There are some things in the english language that I just can't get my head around. Which is why I always make some mistakes here and there, I imagine a few of them are quite funny for native speakers. Plus I often need to check Google for the translation of particular words.

But at some point I simply stopped caring about it. My english is good enough to be understood. It works on the internet as well as in real-life. Britney understood me when I met her at her show in Vegas! =D

In the end it's a bit like with most of my friends that aren't native german speakers. They have learned the language just fine over the years, but there are just some things they always do wrong. I guess both them and me could improve if we just put a little extra effort into it. But we lack both time and motivation for that.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Wat?

Around the Network

You're better than alot of native speakers but one thing I noticed that's common with non-native english speakers is that they tend to capitalize words that they don't need to. You're being too correct in some ways.

Sometimes I wonder the same thing.
I feel really dumb when I make  grammar mistakse and only notice after some time.

Aeolus451 said:
You're better than alot of native speakers but one thing I noticed that's common with non-native english speakers is that they tend to capitalize words that they don't need to. You're being too correct in some ways.

XD

I do that. It might be especially a thing for people that speak a native language that has capitalized nouns in writing. German is one of those.

I'd say my english level is pretty close to native, but I still make mistakes, especially in writing. I also sometimes use words or turns of phrase that, while correct, a native speaker wouldn't really use.

That said, I never noticed anything negative about your english Dr.vita. I was honestly surprised that this thread was coming from you.

Aeolus451 said:

My phone always does that automatically and I don't feel like changing the spell check to english every time I write something in that language. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

SuperNova said:
Aeolus451 said:

XD

I do that. It might be especially a thing for people that speak a native language that has capitalized nouns in writing. German is one of those.

I'd say my english level is pretty close to native, but I still make mistakes, especially in writing. I also sometimes use words or turns of phrase that, while correct, a native speaker wouldn't really use.

That said, I never noticed anything negative about your english Dr.vita. I was honestly surprised that this thread was coming from you.

I think that's the case with alot of people when they learn a different language. They learn the formal or correct way to speak and write it. I didn't know that about German.

OdinHades said:
Aeolus451 said:

My phone always does that automatically and I don't feel like changing the spell check to english every time I write something in that language. =P

I'm the opposite of that. I'll go back sometimes to uncapitalize a name because I don't like the thing or because it looks strange to me.