By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NPD: Playstation 4 was the Best Selling Console of 2017 in the U.S.

JWeinCom said:
Poweranimals said:
How is that possible? It seems like Switch won most of its months since release.

Yeah, but it launched in March.  And I think that PS4's margin of Victory in the months where it won was bigger than Switch's on average.

This.  

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Aura7541 said:

Eh, MS would be handing Sony the market on a silver platter if they never reversed the always online DRM policies.

I agree with this. Not the mention the aggressive price cuts to the Xbox One, soft relaunch with Xbox One S, including an UHD-blu ray player in the S, dropping the Kinect etc. Microsoft have done alot right since the launch of the Xbox One but had they not have made the aforementioned improvements the gap would be much wider.

The US tends to be brand-agnostic unlike say Europe where they tend to love the Playstation brand so we shall see what happens next generation. Will Sony let the PS4 success get to their head and pull a PS3? Will Microsoft launch first and beat them to the punch(unlikely as the Xbox One X came out a year after the Pro). Will be interesting times indeed. Nintendo's success with the Switch has also thrown a spanner in the works and will keep both Sony and MS on their toes.

US  consumers favor the Xbox brand, more than any other place in the world, simply because Americans like to buy american.
Its not really brand agnostic, it has a more favorable view of xbox than any place else in the world.

The fact that PS4 is outselling the xbox, is simply because its done so much better than the xbox with software/hardware design.
Im pretty sure a xbox that had equal hardware, equal software output, could win the US against a playstation because of this favor.

That however is just not how this gen went.

celador said:
so what if it had two more months of sales, Nintendo had a brand new console launch, that more than makes up for the loss in sales from two months, especially seeing as one of them is a slow month for sales

If Nintendo Switch is to beat PS4 lifetime, it needs to be winning 2018. If it can't beat a system in it's fifth full year then it's got no chance. I think it will do it though.

It needs more than to win 2018, probably needs to win 2019,2020, ect.
Because Nintedo home console systems, generally dont have the legs of playstation home consoles.

When was the last time a nintendo home console went over 130m? (which Im assumeing the PS4 will do)

AlfredoTurkey said:

Yeah but didn't it get an two extra months over the Switch? That's kind of like saying someone won a race when they got a 10 second head start.

So basically you are talking about the months of january and febuary..... this one is kinda simple.

look at the NA total for PS4 in 2017 and then do the same for the NS. Now take out january and febuary sales of the PS4. So both have only the months of march to december. and see who wins.

Then again, some will argue that the NS did launch in march after all, and as such its sales will see a launch boost that negates its two missing months of the year when compared to a console that been out for (at the time) over 3+ years.

Then again some will argue that the best way to measure the sales is to take both consoles first 12 months on the market and see which one sold more. But then some will argue that if you did that then it would give the NS an unfair advantage cause its own first year encompasses a launch window and a holiday window where as the PS4 only has a launch window in its own first year.

well their only real rival for the spot didn't launch until 3 months into the year and suffered supply issues for 6 months after that, hardly surprising but a win all the same. Greatness awaits a great many America folks.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
quickrick said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yer but lets be honest the MS mistakes were bigger. It turned me of XBOX ONE and I will never get one.

DRM (even though they pulled it)

Killer Instinct released as episodes insead of a full game to milk money.

Halo collection was missing data on the physical release that needed a 20gb download to complete.

thats just three early examples.

PS3 the only real mistake was the high price. It wasn't every general public friendly. 

much higher price, hardware that wasn't really more powerful since most multiplats ran much better on xbox, especially early on, and shit controller. to me ps3 had way more mistakes, it was saved by its brand power.

The PS3 was saved by being a better machine that sold month-to-month better than the 360 the entire time it was available; resulting in it ultimately selling more units even though it was on the market 1 year less.  On top of that, despite have a brand new CPU and using new disc technology, it didn't fail so horribly like the 360.  The 360 has the distinct advantage of being the being the biggest lemon ever sold in the US.  At almost a 50% failure rate (RROD) it should have had government intervention and a forced recall, but since Microsoft has backdoor deals in Windows for the DOD to use, it didn't happen.  I really don't understand why people were so willing to forgive a machine that was such a POS.  Microsoft PROVED that on top of being a barely competent software company, they sucks balls at engineering.  Sony beats them hands down in engineering, and continues to do so today.   My 60g Launch PS3 only failed just last month - disc drive won't eject.  Still plays, but won't eject anymore.  That's 11.5 years that sucker ran.  My PS2, likewise, is over 15 years old and still kicking (although it stopped playing PS1 discs about a year ago). 

Oh and the, "multiplats ran much better on xbox, especially early one", yeah, that's because they rushed the 360 to the market to get companies to sign contract that REQUIRED they not make the PS3 version better.  IF they hadn't rushed the unit, maybe they could have fixed the RROD issue.  Look at Red Dead Redemption as good example of these contracts that Microsoft had companies sign for games being developed at the beginning of that generation of consoles. It looks like crap on PS3 compared to 360, but by the time Rockstar put out GTA V, they were no longer bound to make the 360 version better, and hence, the PS3 version is far superior.  Microsoft is POS company that likes to use lies and contracts to screw with their competitor.  It's actually a reason that I dislike Nintendo too - they did that to Sega in the 90s, and I will never forget their BS manipulation of the market. 

Last edited by noagenda - on 20 January 2018

PS4 the true king

Intrinsic said:
GOWTLOZ said:

PS3's CPU outperforms the PS4's CPU in many cases. GTA V also looks better on PS3 than on Xbox 360. Its the exclusives where PS3 really shines though, as the physics simulation in GT6 at 1080p60fps shows as do the graphics in God of War: Ascension, Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3.

Power isn't subjective, the PS3 was more powerful than Xbox 360 and that's an undisputed fact whether anyone agrees or not.

Nope. thats just BS.

Power is entirely subjective.

Unless you want to tell us a 3000Hp armored tank will move faster than a 1000Hp formula 1 car. Yup.... hope you see the point.

You can have all the power in the world, but if the difficulty in tapping that power means you only get like 10% of it at any time then what you really have is just that. 10% f what you could have had.

Power isn't subjective at all. The 3000Hp tanbk is more powerful than the 100Hp f1 car though both use their power with different things in mind. The difficulty in tapping that power obviously varies but I've never questioned that did I.

quickrick said:
GOWTLOZ said:

PS3's CPU outperforms the PS4's CPU in many cases. GTA V also looks better on PS3 than on Xbox 360. Its the exclusives where PS3 really shines though, as the physics simulation in GT6 at 1080p60fps shows as do the graphics in God of War: Ascension, Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3.

Power isn't subjective, the PS3 was more powerful than Xbox 360 and that's an undisputed fact whether anyone agrees or not.

kinda of isn't a fact, they both had there advantages and disadvantages, depending on the game and developer. you even have developers saying this, as for GTAV, the 360 version was slightly better, and it was the most cpu demanding game last gen.

edit: has an overall advantage because of streaming issues caused by using the dvd format on 360.

PS3 version also has better lighting. I said that PS3 is more powerful overall but not that it doesn't have its difficulties. The split memory and the hard to code CPU are reasons why third party developers didn't make the most out of it.

Intrinsic said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Yeah but didn't it get an two extra months over the Switch? That's kind of like saying someone won a race when they got a 10 second head start.

So basically you are talking about the months of january and febuary..... this one is kinda simple.

look at the NA total for PS4 in 2017 and then do the same for the NS. Now take out january and febuary sales of the PS4. So both have only the months of march to december. and see who wins.

Then again, some will argue that the NS did launch in march after all, and as such its sales will see a launch boost that negates its two missing months of the year when compared to a console that been out for (at the time) over 3+ years.

Then again some will argue that the best way to measure the sales is to take both consoles first 12 months on the market and see which one sold more. But then some will argue that if you did that then it would give the NS an unfair advantage cause its own first year encompasses a launch window and a holiday window where as the PS4 only has a launch window in its own first year.

Wel, all I'm arguing is that one console had two more months in 2017 than the other so, unless we wall want to wax hypothetical, it's kind of meaningless. 2018, sure. But 2017 had incomplete data.

quickrick said:
newwil7l said:

This. 

MS literally handed them the market on a silver platter and the PS4 isn't even that far ahead of the XBO.

sony gave them a market with ps3, and there mistakes took a long time to correct, unlike xbone, which fixed them right away.

That's ignoring the massive efforts MS made to increase the product appeal for the 360 by pioneering multiplayer gaming on consoles, building it's online ecosystem, pushing first party franchises that were surging in popularity in the NA market (FPS, TPS) and to top if off, the use of some excellent marketing. Sony certainly dropped the ball, but MS capitalized on the space, had some foresight and tapped in to what was trending on the market.

Intrinsic said:
newwil7l said: 

MS literally handed them the market on a silver platter and the PS4 isn't even that far ahead of the XBO.

Dallinor said:

It has a 3m lead over it's main competitor which has had a myriad of problems since launch from marketing, to pricing and software.

I'd hardly consider it dominating consider all the cards landed in their favour. In fact it's a region Sony definitely need to push the system harder in and create more appeal for their product. Stronger competition from Xbox (and Nintendo) next time around will most likely see them losing their lead.

You guys seem upset.

Here, have a cookie.

Now now, hopefully I didn't bring up any undesirable emotions or feelings with my markedly unemotional response.

Intrinsic said:
newwil7l said:

Not really. I realize Sony is easily dominating on a global scale. But the US is far from PlayStation land.

Thats the thing though, no none has said that its Playstation land. All thats been said is that it won this year.

As it ddi last year.

As it did the year before that one too.....

If its winning by only 3M, then thats just the kinda generation this is. Its still winning.

I was commenting on the use of the word dominating. Sure argue semantics, yes it's winning the point is that it's had an easy ride.

The PS4 might have gigantic appeal in EU and ROTW, but there's definitely plenty of work to do in NA. Try looking at the bigger picture rather than keeping score.