By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the Switch still not getting big games from 3rd parties?

It's mostly a western problem so far, and even some western publishers already support Switch decently.
Ubisoft has done Mario and Rabbids already as well as porting stuff and they will definetely bring more games to Switch.
Betesda is really showing support. Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein 2 and it looks like those pay out for Bethesda, so they'll bring more games to Switch.
Others show few to no support so far, like Take Two or Acrtivision. Partially their games have flopped though on Nintendo hardware within the last ten years and partially even if you do port stuff it takes time.

And yes, some games are to demanding for Switches Tegra SoC for sure, so there's a lot of stuff we'll never see.

But honestly, third party support and even western support for Nintendo hasn't been that good as it is right now for a very long time.

Around the Network

TIME.
Games announced today were probably planned a year before Switch even launched. 3rd parties hedging their bets for another Wii U were not going to put resources into a Switch SKU. Now that it has proven a success, it takes time for 3rd parties to plan those resource allocations.

The rest of the reasons in no particular order.

Lower power/different architecture

Game cards (price and capacity)

Relationship with 3rd parties is weaker (though getting better).

Switch will get better 3rd party support in time but it's too early to expect a lot of it now.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Tis not even 1 year old. Be paitient.

We have Dark Souls: Remastered, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Shin Megami Tensei V, Project Octopath Traveller, The World Ends With You: Final Remix, Bayonetta trilogy, Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes, Mega Man 11, Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2, Dragon Quest XI, Wolfenstein 2

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

My guess would be handheld mode.

In this mode Switch throttles down to be effectively something similar to WiiU - if it was only docked mode AAA publishers would most likely put more effort into making ports for Switch, but handheld mode seems really painful - even Nintendo had to do some not so great compromises on Odyssey for it.

But who knows, if Wii had CoDs, maybe Switch will have those big mainstream AAA games as well.

Around the Network

It's also important to remember that publishers follow profits, not specs. If the Switch provides an opportunity, they'll jump at the chance, even if it seems impossible. If the Switch can run a scaled-back version of Doom, then it can run many other PS4 and Xbox One titles.

cuz it takes time to make games. Third parties weren't sure how the Switch would do after the Wii U failure, so most of them probably had nothing in the works for the Switch when it launched. Despite this the Switch managed to get some older ports of popular games already. It would probably take a lot of effort for games that were built to push ps4/xbone to be ported to the switch, so instead we're getting older ports. I'm sure a lot of games got started for Switch in 2017, by late 2018 and in 2019 there will probably be strong third party support for the Switch, including new AAA games built for it, not just crappy C-team ports of games like Nintendo owners have gotten used to since the Wii. So far its pretty much indie games plus Nintendo's big hitters that have driven the Switch. But within a year AAA third party support should start hitting and helping to drive Switch success.

It doesn’t deserve them. Just wait for the cliff drop of sales. Also only nintendo games will sell

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
It doesn’t deserve them. Just wait for the cliff drop of sales. Also only nintendo games will sell

As much as I love the Switch, it can't run some of those games. A poor port just makes the Switch look bad in the eyes of the public. Better to not have a game at all than to have a horrible version, I'm my opinion.

I do want Rise of the Tomb Raider on Switch, though. It looks just fine on Xbox 360.

Twitter: @d21lewis