By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2017 NPD Thread! Switch 1.5m, XBO 1.365m, PS4 1.08m, Xenoblade 280k

Jranation said:
Is that good for Xenoblade?

The original in NA sold in total 430k according to VGC so factoring digital XBC2 may have moved around 300k which puts it in range of the original's total in one month it'll probably outsell it LT as well.

Around the Network

Really happy that Xenoblade 2 sold so well.

Wyrdness said:
Jranation said:
Is that good for Xenoblade?

The original in NA sold in total 430k according to VGC so factoring digital XBC2 may have moved around 300k which puts it in range of the original's total in one month it'll probably outsell it LT as well.

Wow that is crazy! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Shadow1980 said: 

So the XO has been on the decline for the past 2 years? Ands this is its strongest market. Dont want to think about WW. Im thinking BXO < 7m for 2017.

Im so glad Nintendo is back to doing great.

I left NPD threads a while ago cuz there I saw no point after constant PS4 domination, But I forgot the best part of these, your graphs. They help a lot.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Shadow1980 said:
jason1637 said:

Appreciate the graphs shadow. Overall it looks like December was a good month. BTW do you have any graphs comparing total console units during the holiday or year. Would like to see how 2017 would compare to the 7th gen.

Sorry for the delay, but here are my yearly charts as promised (Note that I am classifying the Switch as Gen 8, as the NPD, or at least NPD's Matt Piscatella, classifies it as "current gen" with the PS4 & XBO, plus because that's what I choose to classify it as based on my own criteria):

I'll put up some quarter charts some time tomorrow.

Thank you. Looks like 2017 was the best year for the console market since 2011. Hopefully 2018 can do better than 2017.

Around the Network

For a long time I thought that I was the only one obsessed by consoles sales...And I have discovered this website 3 months ago...I could watch these graphics for hours.

jason1637 said:
Shadow1980 said:

Sorry for the delay, but here are my yearly charts as promised (Note that I am classifying the Switch as Gen 8, as the NPD, or at least NPD's Matt Piscatella, classifies it as "current gen" with the PS4 & XBO, plus because that's what I choose to classify it as based on my own criteria):

I'll put up some quarter charts some time tomorrow.

Thank you. Looks like 2017 was the best year for the console market since 2011. Hopefully 2018 can do better than 2017.

Crazy that without Switch, it would be the worst since 2000.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

280k for Xenoblade is great ! It's 60k away from XenoX and 150k from the original Xenoblade Chronicles, it'll easily become the best selling Xenoblade game ever ! here's to hope 2M Lifetime

Amnesia said:
For a long time I thought that I was the only one obsessed by consoles sales...And I have discovered this website 3 months ago...I could watch these graphics for hours.

Well only 1% of the comments here are talking decently about sales. The other 98% is basically "nah nah, my console/game is selling better than yours " or "but it only sold well because -insert weak excuse here-"

The remaining 1 percent you say? That's just GribbleGrunger's mutterings. 

Anyway, enjoy your stay!

Hiku said:

My prediction was XB1 > PS4 > NSW with the motivation that without a $199 PS4 deal in December, and interest in XB1X continuing to be strong as it was sold out in a lot of places in November, along with other XB1 deals, I could see it edge out PS4.

Switch did better than I expected though. In particular it had more stock than I expected.
I'm curious by the way, was Switch particularly supply constrained in November in USA?

no it wasn't.  december sales almost always double for nintendo, many people told me, but i didn't think it would work out for switch at 300$, i expected 1.1 million.