By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2017 NPD Thread! Switch 1.5m, XBO 1.365m, PS4 1.08m, Xenoblade 280k

quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think it is. :)

that analyst must be ignoring nintendo announcement of 10 million as of December 10 . he has t be talking about shipment numbers. 

7M sold October-December is definately possible though.

US+Japan had 4.1M sales in those months and the rest of the world could possibly fetch another 2.9.

With that said, 7.6M at the end of November was shipped and not sell through. So The truth is probably somewhere in between. I dont think 14.6M sales is accurate, but I do think shipments are higher than that as well with sales somewhere in the high 13.

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
Jaxyfoo said:
The more I look at XB 1 - 4.28m for the year, the more I get the feeling XB 1 has not sold much more than 6.5m this year. They probably should have left the XB1 behind and gone all in making the X next gen with full backwards compatibility.

Lol wot. Vgchartz overtracked a little bit, but I'd say 8 million is still a reasonable figure for the console. 

A little bit is an understatement. Even with my most optimistic guess (which is 35.17m assuming a ~57% US share), VGC is already about 1m above my estimate and it still needs to account for one more week of sales. If you're wondering how much XB1 sold in 2017, it's somewhere in the 7.0m-7.5m range.

barneystinson69 said:
Jaxyfoo said:
The more I look at XB 1 - 4.28m for the year, the more I get the feeling XB 1 has not sold much more than 6.5m this year. They probably should have left the XB1 behind and gone all in making the X next gen with full backwards compatibility.

Lol wot. Vgchartz overtracked a little bit, but I'd say 8 million is still a reasonable figure for the console. 

7-7.5 million is probabily the most likely scenario with USA being 55-60% of WW sales.

Ryng_Tolu said:
barneystinson69 said:

7-7.5 million is probabily the most likely scenario with USA being 55-60% of WW sales.

Just when I edited my 2017 estimates in. Get out of my head, Ryng!

The X is a much better place to launch a generations less base from.  It is powerful enough to have been able to have much more PC functionality.  Meaning it could have suddenly gained PC exclusives of some of the biggest out there like Lol, Wow and others.  This would have made it much more desirable to the wide world in general.  They could have also try delving into VR, AR and other emergent tech. 

4k-ish 30/60, would have meant that a more powerful version  alongside PS5 could have made the full transition into something with a lot more oomph for a real generationless  device.  If Xboxes sales are going to continue to drop by such a significant amount, they have nothing to lose.Looks like MS  are going to add a game streaming service anyway at E3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the slim out of some exclusives at that point, and made some games run digital only, to avoid having the slim acting as a ball and chain.

Either way knowing when to cut your losses and go full new has worked wonders for the slim, albeit has some beautiful exclusives to boost launch.  Whoops meant to quote zorg, but never mind.  Just my thoughts anyway.

Around the Network

Also, there is no way the US has dropped in %share this year for XB1. If anything it will be the other way around. Switch, Pro and VR will have taken a good chunk of any potential sales. Also Sony had much better deals for everything in Europe, with no supercheap XB1 sales to boost the year. Add in Switch success, the article that PS4 has outsold XB1 by more than 2-1 in the UK this year, it's second best country, then I'm not buying 8m with anyone's money. I'd buy 7m, but that doesn't't change the big picture. I bet 6.5m would be close enough to the truth than anywhere near 8m.

Shadow1980 said:

More charts, mostly some LTD ones:

I'll make my final post with yearly and quarter charts after I get home from work tonight, assuming I remember. If not, then definitely tomorrow.

Tnx for great job.

And yes 7-7.5m is where I would have placed it, before I the US sales triggered the 6.5m thoughts. There are just so many extra factors since the 60/40 ratio was king. It is going the other way from the reverse of that for PS4 too.

Are console sales starting to get more seasonal? The PS4 is selling on par as the PS3 on non-holiday months this year. Which is crazy. However the difference is mostly made in the holidays. Same goes for the Xbox.

I'm guessing the deals for the holidays are getting better to the point where buying it on a non-holiday month is a waste?

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
Are console sales starting to get more seasonal? The PS4 is selling on par as the PS3 on non-holiday months this year. Which is crazy. However the difference is mostly made in the holidays. Same goes for the Xbox.

I'm guessing the deals for the holidays are getting better to the point where buying it on a non-holiday month is a waste?

The PS4 is pretty balanced with Q1+Q2+Q3 vs Q4 (WW shipments) . 12 vs 6.6, 9.4 vs 8.4, 9.7 vs 9.7, 10.4 vs >6m

It largely depends on games and PS4 Pro though.

Swith will be similar with 7.63m vs ~7.5m.

XB1 however I don't believe is balanced at all with its recent performance vs XB1X and price cut boost.