By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - New California has filed to become the "51st" US state

love the divided states of america :P

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Nymeria said:

Yet, people keep moving there

This is not necessarily true. 

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/dan-walters/article123894519.html

"Foreign immigration has dropped sharply, and we now lose more people to other states than we gain, with Texas the No. 1 destination for ex-Californians."

"Our current growth, about 300,000 persons a year

Births minus deaths, dubbed “natural increase,” still account for more than two-thirds of California’s population growth, but as the gap narrows, it slows growth."

Thank you for posting. Some good data in there. I think context is important to review how staggering California's increase in population has been over the past 100 years.  I know people who moved there, love it, but do talk about how expensive it is due to high population density in the coastal cities.  It's an old joke "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded!"

I did mention Texas and Florida as the other destination states.  California has problems, but among the 50 states I'd argue it is one of the more successful ones.

Good.. Hopefully they break that winner take all state in two.

Lack of solidarity everywhere. And people thought the internet would bring people together.

Nymeria said:
sc94597 said:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/dan-walters/article123894519.html

"Foreign immigration has dropped sharply, and we now lose more people to other states than we gain, with Texas the No. 1 destination for ex-Californians."

Births minus deaths, dubbed “natural increase,” still account for more than two-thirds of California’s population growth, but as the gap narrows, it slows growth."

Thank you for posting. Some good data in there. I think context is important to review how staggering California's increase in population has been over the past 100 years.  I know people who moved there, love it, but do talk about how expensive it is due to high population density in the coastal cities.  It's an old joke "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded!"

I did mention Texas and Florida as the other destination states.  California has problems, but among the 50 states I'd argue it is one of the more successful ones.

So there are two statistics here. Absolute growth rate (births + foreign immigration + domestic immigration - deaths - total emigration) vs. net domestic migration (domestic immigration - domestic emigration.) 

For California, the first statistic is positive because most of its population growth is due to births (2/3rds) with another 1/3rd being due to total immigration, but a sizable portion of that total immigration is foreign. 

When we look at the domestic immigration vs. domestic emigration, more people whom live in the United States already are leaving California than going to California. The net domestic migration is negative, despite the growing population. 

The trends seem to point at it becoming increasingly negative as California continues to become poor-unfriendly due to increasing costs of living and wealth inequality. 

Florida is a big retirement state, so its statistics are very skewed. Old boomers from other parts of the country are moving there for the warm weather. 

Texas is in an economic boom, so it makes sense that they're getting many  people from other states. 

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Why don't they just move? California is a trash state and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Yep, it is my opinion. Thanks for "stating" the obvious here bud.

Nymeria said:
sc94597 said:

Well, there was the whole bankruptcy thing. Most people that lament California do so for its crime, traffic, high taxes and regulation, and general incompetence of local government. It's a place that I would like to visit, but there is no amount you could pay me to live in California.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

So... The capital would be "Disneyland", I presume?