By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - New California has filed to become the "51st" US state

Bandorr said:
The reason is if you look at how each county voted - it comes up more Democratic than Republican. So it will be just adding another blue state. Assuming all I've read is true.

No... you can carve a Republican state out of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_California,_2016

Around the Network
the_dark_lewd said:
Errorist76 said: 

That’s what I thought.

If they complain about the state‘s government why did they elect it?!

They didn't. That's what's partly motivating it. The rural areas in California, like with the rest of the country, are much more conservative.

So this is the conservative parts of the state reacting to the fact that they're in a permanently democratic state and wanting to fix that.

I get that. Might be easier just to move. I mean I get it you might miss the ocean but probably not miss the cost of living.

irstupid said:
Errorist76 said:

Last I knew voting works by voice, not by land mass.

It's not by land mass, but by demographics. The rural areas or small cities want completely different things than the big urban cities.

Take video games since we are on this site. How would you like it if every time a publisher was to make a new game they would send out a poll to the masses on what type of game it should be. There are more FPS fans than any other, so every single game from every publisher is a fps game.  Or how about when the Wii was released and they did a poll. The masses would have voted that they want every single game made to be motion controlled cause WIi Sports was fun. Would us forum dwellers on this site like that? We got outvoted, so we can't complain right. Democracy.

It's the same for those non big city places. The governors/senators/ect are making laws that benefit or help the people in the city and either are detrimental to other people or ignore them completely. They wouldn't care about the rural areas cause the number of voters there is insignificant to the big city.

Mob rule is never good rule.

I see...I think I understand the situation...over here we even have city states in some cases. What I ask myself is..aren’t those urban areas usually also home to more industry and other tax heavy companies?! Wouldn’t the whole idea backfire eventually?! What exactly do they want to become instead?! Another republican Utah?! 

numberwang said:
Bandorr said:
The reason is if you look at how each county voted - it comes up more Democratic than Republican. So it will be just adding another blue state. Assuming all I've read is true.

No... you can carve a Republican state out of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election_in_California,_2016

New California would likely vote Democrat.

Urban areas and new coast still lean towards Democrat which also happen to have the largest populations, while the deep red counties are small.

Leadified said:

I have seen this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMR-Wl_73I

Last edited by numberwang - on 17 January 2018

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

That is a better map than any I could find.  It is why I give it about a week before people realizing they would be screwing themselves.

I'd like to see a similar map for Texas.  Remove the gerrymandering and you probably get a democratic state. So if they were allowed to split into pieces you could definitely get a democratic one out of it I bet. Same with Florida, and NC.

Shhh.. This is sensitive information. We need to own the libs and split the state!

Why don't they just move? California is a trash state and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

In Europe we don't get this kind of news, but my take is that there are two different things going on:
1. A grass roots movement to split California from the USA (and Trup, in particular) and become independent.
2. Some nutjobs trying to split off parts of California they like, and become a new state.
I don't know what the constitution says in detail about either idea but my guess is both things tend to have a 0% chance of succeeding.

California is first in the country in so many areas and it is the riches state in the country and is more wealthy than several countries. There are more financial opportunities there than anywhere on Earth. They are leaders in energy, jobs, educations, and they have awesome weather. You can smoke weed there. . You don't need to make a new state because you don't like how it is being governed... all you have to do is run for office and then you will find out if everyone feels like you do or if its just you. Stop trying to run away.

Errorist76 said:
irstupid said:

It's not by land mass, but by demographics. The rural areas or small cities want completely different things than the big urban cities.

Take video games since we are on this site. How would you like it if every time a publisher was to make a new game they would send out a poll to the masses on what type of game it should be. There are more FPS fans than any other, so every single game from every publisher is a fps game.  Or how about when the Wii was released and they did a poll. The masses would have voted that they want every single game made to be motion controlled cause WIi Sports was fun. Would us forum dwellers on this site like that? We got outvoted, so we can't complain right. Democracy.

It's the same for those non big city places. The governors/senators/ect are making laws that benefit or help the people in the city and either are detrimental to other people or ignore them completely. They wouldn't care about the rural areas cause the number of voters there is insignificant to the big city.

Mob rule is never good rule.

I see...I think I understand the situation...over here we even have city states in some cases. What I ask myself is..aren’t those urban areas usually also home to more industry and other tax heavy companies?! Wouldn’t the whole idea backfire eventually?! What exactly do they want to become instead?! Another republican Utah?! 

Was just explaining reasoning for having electoral college or not mob rule.

But I would guess they would have lower taxes and thus entice those business to move to their new state. I mean lower taxes is why the big companies lots of times have money overseas. Look at Apple. All of it's money is overseas

I don't have a clue if breaking apart like this would be beneficial revenue/tax wise for this "new California" I would figure their revenue in taxes would take a huge hit, but I could also see their liabilities in social services also take a huge drop. So it could even out in the end.