By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hmmm...a Full Direct soon?

Ljink96 said:
Somebody on reddit is speculating that we'll get another real direct in at most, 20 days from today. Apparently after every mini direct, there's a real one in 1-20 days of airing. We'll see.

Having checked the list of Directs on Wikipedia, this is accurate. There is, however, an important caveat: this Direct Mini was unlike any other in that it focused on a variety of titles and announcements rather than single games. This Direct Mini was also the first one in over four years, so I'm not sure that Nintendo's broadcasting patterns from four years ago are a good model for 2018.

Last year there was at least one broadcast for 10 months of the year, with March and December being the only months not to feature a Direct or Nintendo broadcast (E3, Switch reveal). In January and June there were two global broadcasts. Most broadcasts were for specific games and franchises (Splatoon 2 & Arms, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Dragon Quest XI) and two were for indie titles. Only two Directs, plus the E3 broadcast and Switch reveal, were about the whole release slate.

I was going to try and reach some kind of conclusion as to when a Direct is likely but honestly, I don't have a clue. Nintendo march to the beat of their own drum. I would guess we can expect at least one Direct of some kind most months of this year, and we should also expect a couple of months to be Direct-less, and a couple of months to feature a couple of Directs. Like I said, though, this Mini is the first in over four years, so there's been a change in approach already in 2018.

Around the Network

Yep, should be.
Nintendo only gave us information on 5 of the 57 things that were leaked to be in the Direct (although they added 12 things that weren’t leaked). Doing math of unknown vs. leaked, the 57 leaked items represents about 29% of the total announcements Nintendo will be making. So expect a total of about 163 announcements on the main Direct, 52 leaked, the rest unknown. If the pacing is similar to major Directs to the last Mini Direct, expect this one to be about 6 hours and 53 minutes.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 12 January 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

That actually is a little convincing, they always do that when their is something Direct related coming down in the line in the following weeks. They did the exact same for this direct mini too.

Asriel said:
Ljink96 said:
Somebody on reddit is speculating that we'll get another real direct in at most, 20 days from today. Apparently after every mini direct, there's a real one in 1-20 days of airing. We'll see.

Having checked the list of Directs on Wikipedia, this is accurate. There is, however, an important caveat: this Direct Mini was unlike any other in that it focused on a variety of titles and announcements rather than single games. This Direct Mini was also the first one in over four years, so I'm not sure that Nintendo's broadcasting patterns from four years ago are a good model for 2018.

Last year there was at least one broadcast for 10 months of the year, with March and December being the only months not to feature a Direct or Nintendo broadcast (E3, Switch reveal). In January and June there were two global broadcasts. Most broadcasts were for specific games and franchises (Splatoon 2 & Arms, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Dragon Quest XI) and two were for indie titles. Only two Directs, plus the E3 broadcast and Switch reveal, were about the whole release slate.

I was going to try and reach some kind of conclusion as to when a Direct is likely but honestly, I don't have a clue. Nintendo march to the beat of their own drum. I would guess we can expect at least one Direct of some kind most months of this year, and we should also expect a couple of months to be Direct-less, and a couple of months to feature a couple of Directs. Like I said, though, this Mini is the first in over four years, so there's been a change in approach already in 2018.

They had Mini Directs in 2015 and 2016.

twintail said:
Honestly I think h next major direct is E3 as Nintendo will want to focus on that event for massive blow out.

I know ppl like the announcements in the mini but that were mostly throwaway remasters o keep ppl happy for first half of the year.

Eh nah. They usually show small games and updates and controllers at directs. And there is the online service coming. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I firmly believe the next Direct we'll get is about a system-update which includes paid online-details

twintail said:
Honestly I think h next major direct is E3 as Nintendo will want to focus on that event for massive blow out.

I know ppl like the announcements in the mini but that were mostly throwaway remasters o keep ppl happy for first half of the year.

You think or you want? The next non mini direct is far more likely to come soon.

If there is another soon, it will probably be about Pokemon only. I honestly think they revealed most of 1st semester games. The big ones will hit on the 2nd semester.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Asriel said:
Ljink96 said:

Not over 4 years by any mean, mid 2015 and 2016 have mini directs

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

They had Mini Directs in 2015 and 2016.

No, they didn't. They had a Direct Micro in 2015.