By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch > XB1 > PS4 During December In US - Greenberg (Confirmed, read OP)

OTBWY said:
There's a meltdown going on at N4G about these numbers. It's pretty entertaining: http://n4g.com/news/2136064/aaron-greenberg-announces-switch-as-december-npd-winner

Something tells me that site is slightly biased towards Sony.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
OTBWY said:
There's a meltdown going on at N4G about these numbers. It's pretty entertaining: http://n4g.com/news/2136064/aaron-greenberg-announces-switch-as-december-npd-winner

Since almost two days no one has commented anymore. What a meltdown atm, really.

Ah yes, it did happen 2 days ago. Bit too late. But it was a meltdown.

Flilix said:
OTBWY said:

You think?

Flilix said:
OTBWY said:

Slightly is an understatement. 

OTBWY said:

That's really embarrassing. I don't like Greenberg that much, but he has actually been very straightforward.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
Azzanation said:

You just have a poor understanding. This entire time my point is made where you don't need 1st party exclusives to outsell your opposition hence this NPD. They help but there not necessary. Where's the spin in that? Apart from everyone making excuses as to way the X1 outsold the PS4 which only proves my point even further, they did it without 1st party games.

You can sell shit if you have perfect marketing for it. That's a lesson in life.

To a degree you're right but Xbox One outsold the PS4 because it was cheaper. It's as simple as that. 

Yeah I know, that's my entire point of my post, it did it without 1st Party exclusive games which many in here believe it means everything.

It helps to have 1st party games, however clever marketing is what sells consoles in the end.

Aura7541 said:
Azzanation said:

You just have a poor understanding. This entire time my point is made where you don't need 1st party exclusives to outsell your opposition hence this NPD. They help but there not necessary. Where's the spin in that? Apart from everyone making excuses as to way the X1 outsold the PS4 which only proves my point even further, they did it without 1st party games.

You can sell shit if you have perfect marketing for it. That's a lesson in life.

I find it rather comical that your point was made when you didn't address some of my points. For instance, your assertions are based on data from a month where a much higher proportion of consumers are more concerned about price than anything else. This is a very flawed assessment because consumer habits of December are not representative of consumer habits of January through October, where the habits are more value-oriented. In addition, I mentioned that Mat Piscatella cited the XB1's lack of exclusives for its YOY drop in performance and yet, not a peep from you. If the issue was the lack of citation, then here you go:

"To the Xbox One question... baseline demand changes can be explained by two things from the data I look at. First, exclusive content is having an impact, explains a big chunk of the performance change. The other thing the data suggests is that the early announce of One X may be slowing sales a bit over the summer."

In May, he credited Persona 5 for part of the PS4's YOY rise in performance:
"I'd peg it to Persona 5 along with momentum driven by other exclusive content and normal price decay. No promotions or anything stands out to me. But we're not talking about huge units of disparity here."
And obviously, you will respond with "But I am only talking about 1st party exclusives. Look at my comment that you responded to". However, your original thesis criticized the notion of "no games or 1st party titles". As a result, Persona 5 is fair game.
For reference, Persona 5 shipped 2 over million copies as of December 1, 2017. It sold about 0.5M in Japan, so it sold around 1.5M outside of the country. Other games had similar performance, at times being even better:
- Nioh shipped over a million after only 2 weeks in the market
- FFXII: The Zodiac Age shipped over 1 million copies as of October 26, 2017
- Nier Automata shipped over 2 million as of September 21, 2017, with about 1.4M copies of them being the PS4 version
- VGC claims that Uncharted: The Lost Legacy sold over 1.5M retail copies
- Horizon: Zero Dawn sold over 3.4M as of April 30
Considering the similarity of these games' sales performances, it is logical to assume that they also played a part in moving some hardware sales. And to conclude my response, I will point out to the IDC's Q3 2017 survey:
9.6% of the respondents cited exclusive games as one of their top 3 reasons of buying a console. That is not far behind of console bundle price, which got 13.3%. And before you go "Well, it's only 9.6%", exclusive games can play a role in the other categories the IDC mentioned. For instance, under "Bundled games or special edition hardware", the bundled games may be exclusives. The same applies to "The games catalog as a whole". The games catalog includes exclusive games, though exclusives may not play a sole part in the purchasing decision. There are also a bunch of games that are on the PS4 and other platforms, but not the XB1 such as Nier Automata.
In addition, this survey only looked at American gamers during Q3 2017. It would be logical to assume that if IDC were to hold this survey in Europe or Asia, then the proportion of gamers who cite "Exclusive games" as one of their top 3 reasons for buying a console would be significantly higher. The PS4's exclusive offerings during that quarter were decent, but not as large as Q1 and Q2, especially Q1.

You make some fair points and I somewhat agree however I can safety say even if Persona 5 could have been a Multiplat the PS4 sales still would have increased. Sometimes you just need games on the shelf, and in some occasions, there are games that can move consoles, Halo being one of them in the past for MS however it all goes back to my point of it depends on how well its marketed, Halo 3's marketing campaigns is what really helped boost the sales with the 360. Destiny had a huge marketing campaign and its sales skyrocketed and it didn't matter of the quality or state the game. Weather there 1st party or 3rd party makes no difference.

Sony market there 1st party games very well while MS seem to market 3rd party games more. Halo Wars 2 actually was marketed well and it was a 1st party Exclusive, it still didn't move consoles. In the end a system will move depending on price point focus and how its advertised. PS4 has had the snowball effect at launch with Sales and its never going to change this generation. Xbox needed a new face lift hence the S and the X which is why the Xbox brand has been doing better these days. They did it all without minimal exclusives on the shelves and still manage to move hardware. That's really my point here. 

You can still market a console with exclusives that released in Q1 and Q2 hence why we get many different bundles at different times. Its just Sony make more 1st party games so they market them as such, however you can have big multiplats that are more popular and market them better and they will overshadow 1st party exclusives based solely of advertisements. The best selling games on both PS4 and XB1 are the 3rd party multiplats.

I love 1st party exclusives as much as anyone in here however its not make or break like many want to believe for a console.

Azzanation said:

You make some fair points and I somewhat agree however I can safety say even if Persona 5 could have been a Multiplat the PS4 sales still would have increased. Sometimes you just need games on the shelf, and in some occasions, there are games that can move consoles, Halo being one of them in the past for MS however it all goes back to my point of it depends on how well its marketed, Halo 3's marketing campaigns is what really helped boost the sales with the 360. Destiny had a huge marketing campaign and its sales skyrocketed and it didn't matter of the quality or state the game. Weather there 1st party or 3rd party makes no difference.

The Persona series has touched non-Playstation platforms before. For instance, Persona Q was on the 3DS and the fighting games were on the 360. The series probably picked up new fans from those userbases and because Persona 5 was only on the PS3 and PS4, those new fans had to get a PS4 in order to play the game. Atlus branching the Persona series out definitely contributed to P5 being the best selling mainline game in franchise history.

The second half of your paragraph is an awkward pivot to a different topic altogether. Your concluding sentence also does not make sense because logically, one would prefer to have both 1st and 3rd party games than just 3rd party games to push hardware sales. The claim that it makes no difference is ultimately an empty assertion.

Sony market there 1st party games very well while MS seem to market 3rd party games more. Halo Wars 2 actually was marketed well and it was a 1st party Exclusive, it still didn't move consoles. In the end a system will move depending on price point focus and how its advertised. PS4 has had the snowball effect at launch with Sales and its never going to change this generation. Xbox needed a new face lift hence the S and the X which is why the Xbox brand has been doing better these days. They did it all without minimal exclusives on the shelves and still manage to move hardware. That's really my point here.

The XB1 S only had a temporary effect. After the 2016 holiday season, the XB1's sales performance was down YOY throughout the year. This happened in spite of the XB1 S being the superior model to the OG XB1 in every way. However, even the greater value in the S model did not lead to better sales. I expect a similar pattern with the XB1 X. We already saw signs of it when we look at the BF week sales from the UK. The XB1 actually had a slightly worse performance compared to the same period in 2016 even though the XB1 X was still fresh at the time. These measures are largely temporary.

You can still market a console with exclusives that released in Q1 and Q2 hence why we get many different bundles at different times. Its just Sony make more 1st party games so they market them as such, however you can have big multiplats that are more popular and market them better and they will overshadow 1st party exclusives based solely of advertisements. The best selling games on both PS4 and XB1 are the 3rd party multiplats.

I love 1st party exclusives as much as anyone in here however its not make or break like many want to believe for a console.

I will once again point to my second paragraph in my response. You want to have as many positive points as you can. If you are selling a console, you would rather have both 1st and 3rd party games to market and push consoles. It is beneficial for a variety of reasons. For instance, it allows you to branch out to a wider variety of genres and thus, a broader audience. The greater cumulative effect of having both types of games will also increase the amount of active users which will lead to more revenue spent on services and software.

Because the PS4 had a plethora of exclusives throughout 2017, it exhibited significant YOY growth as it eclipsed 20m sales. Meanwhile, the XB1 experienced the opposite effect even though Microsoft released the XB1 X. We will see how both platforms will perform this year relative to 2017. Some of the PS4's exclusives this year have large sales potentials and could mitigate the YOY drop. God of War, if reviewed well, will sell closer to how much GOW3 sold than Ascension. Spiderman is arguably the biggest exclusive for this year because not only will Sony market the game, but also Marvel.

BrittinShicks said:
Insidb said:
I can't stand Greenberg: he always trumps up a bunch of spin.

It's so annoying; I'll just wait for Nintendo, Sony, or NPD to announce something.

It looks like Switch did somewhere around 1.5m.  I'm so relieved.  November was a terrible month, so glad to see them recover. I still don't completely understand what happened in November, but that's water under the bridge.

I long predicted that they and Sony would take 1 and 2, and their PR is usually very direct and clear.