By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch > XB1 > PS4 During December In US - Greenberg (Confirmed, read OP)

Azzanation said:
PAOerfulone said:

And what was that made the 3DS so popular and do so well? Its exclusive games above all else, because the 3D gimmick certainly wasn't what attracted its userbase, it was Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Smash Bros., etc. You absolutely need exclusives to sell your hardware. Would the Switch be anywhere near as successful as it has been if it didn't have Breath of the Wild at launch? Or Mario Kart a month later? Or Splatoon 2 in the summer? Or Mario Odyssey right before the holidays? Those are 4 Huge First Party Nintendo titles from 3 of their biggest franchises that helped sell their new system. 

Also, of course the Xbox will have more exclusive games than the Switch does at launch, one system has been out for over 4 years, and the other has been out for 10 months, I would hope the Xbox has more exclusives at the moment, otherwise there's a serious problem.  And here's another thing, the Xbox One is competing directly with the PS4 and getting its ass kicked left, right, and center. Because the PS4 has a better, stronger, and more diverse exclusive library, to go along with all the 3rd parties that both systems share. So, why would I want to buy an Xbox One to play all these games, when I can buy a PS4 to get those same games, plus all these extra exclusives that they have over the Xbox One? 

The video game market is a momentum based market, and right now, Sony has all of the momentum on their side. How do you think the PS3 was able to make up the ground and pass the 360, despite launching one year later and being $200 more expensive? Exclusives. And damn good ones too. The PS3 had the same amount of 3rd party games the 360 did, but all Microsoft had as noteworthy exclusives were Halo, Gears of War, Kinect, Forza, and Fable. Meanwhile, Sony had Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid IV, LittleBigPlanet, God of War, Last of Us, Heavy Rain, InFamous, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, the list goes on. The PS3 had a bigger, more diverse, and critically acclaimed exclusive library than the 360, to go along with all the 3rd party games they shared. So, it ultimately didn't matter if Xbox was the "home" of Call of Duty during that generation, because Sony was able to build upon their exclusive library, making a more attractive all around library than the 360, and building more and more momentum in their favor until they eventually caught up with Microsoft and passed them. And that momentum continued into the launch of their successors and kept building in Sony's favor to the point that we are at now. The PS4 is a very distant first place at 70-75 million, while the Xbox One is a distant 2nd place at 30-35 million. 

Having great hardware and marketing establishes presence and gets your brand out there, but it's exclusives and first party games, great ones and lots of them, that push the hardware and your brand forward. Until Microsoft realizes that and really starts cracking down and busting out more exclusives and more first party titles in quantity, quality, and diversity, it'll be the same old song and dance when the next Xbox is trying to compete with the PS5. 

You just proved my point right. Didn't the 360 sell more than the PS3 for most of the generation with less exclusives? Was it because COD being the home to the 360? One of many giant 3rd party multiplat games found there home on the 360. Marketing big titles gets you the sales, not how many exclusives a system can dish out and only a handful being good ones.

Explain how the Xbox manage to outsell the PS4 this month with less exclusives? Must of been all those amazing exclusives they released huh?

Top 10 Best selling games on PS4 and only one of them is a PS4 1st party exclusive which is UC4 and that was also heavily bundled..  

No, the PS3 sold more than 360 from day one worldwide.

And yes, this month it actually WAS a HUGE timed exclusive which let it reach those numbers. PUBG! Including according bundles..PLUS a new console model PLUS an ongoing 199,- deal.

Are you really that stubborn to keep riding that ridiculous "exclusives don't matter" train?! If anything this month (in the US) proves that exclusives DO matter.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
3sexty said:

To be honest I don't think they really care enough about the console business. That's just some PR from their tiny obligatory entertainment department. Don't worry too much about it mate.

No probs here.  I do think that Microsoft intended to "take over the living room" as once discussed during the original Xbox days.  I'm thinking that they figured that it isn't as easy as it might have seen.

Nah to be honest mate I think they always knew that the console business would be just a fringe engagement, well at least in the last five years or so as they are making so much more money elsewhere such as with the cloud. Again mate don't worry too much about the PR statenent. The reason why they are involved in consoles is to have that one foot in some kind of cool venture like Xbox surface etc. 

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

3sexty said:
LivingMetal said:

No probs here.  I do think that Microsoft intended to "take over the living room" as once discussed during the original Xbox days.  I'm thinking that they figured that it isn't as easy as it might have seen.

Nah to be honest mate I think they always knew that the console business would be just a fringe engagement, well at least in the last five years or so as they are making so much more money elsewhere such as with the cloud. Again mate don't worry too much about the PR statenent. The reason why they are involved in consoles is to have that one foot in some kind of cool venture like Xbox surface etc. 

I remember that Windows CE was employed in the Dreamcast.  When that failed, Microsoft approached Sony to supply a Windows OS for the PS2.  Sony declined because they went with Linus.  Thus, the first Xbox was born.  Microsoft publicly made know that they didn't consider Nintendo a competitor.  It was later learned that this was after Microsoft tried to purchase Nintendo, but Nintendo refused after being told that they would cease to make hardware and focus software development for the Microsoft console.  So of course they have to refocus their strategy.

PUBG and the Xbox One X are probably big factors in this, plus the Xbox recently got Cuphead. Hopefully this reminds Microsoft that exclusives (timed, console, or true) play a pretty big part in hardware sales.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

LivingMetal said:
Kemono said:
So, Microsoft officially care about console wars.

Only during the Christmas shopping season when it counts.

The Christmas shopping season is the most important time of the year. There is a reason PS4 has only sold like 2 million more consoles than XBO in total in the US despite coming ahead in just about every NPD. It is because MS gets aggressive during the holiday season when it counts most.

People can hate on MS all they want here, but they are among the most successful corporation in the world for a reason.

Last edited by newwil7l - on 12 January 2018

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Azuren said:
PUBG and the Xbox One X are probably big factors in this, plus the Xbox recently got Cuphead. Hopefully this reminds Microsoft that exclusives (timed, console, or true) play a pretty big part in hardware sales.

Eh, I'd say the biggest factor was price. In November, the cheapest PS4 was $199, but $249 in December. Those games/and the X surely helped, but I'd be willing to give the former the biggest credit.

Regardless, I want more exclusives on Xbox. I want to buy, but I have zero incentive right now.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

So it’s confirmed? I was sure it would be revealed Xbone was in third.

That PUBG thirst.

edit, PS4 might not have had an official temporary price cut in December but I remember lots of retailers selling it for $199 Cyber Monday and beyond, at least Walmart and Target in that last case. Hell, I bought one from Walmart for $199 in mid December for my mother in law to give as a gift.

Xbones you could find for as low as $180 easily for the Halo 5/MCC bundle. 

CGI-Quality said:
Azuren said:

Eh, I'd say the biggest factor was price. In November, the cheapest PS4 was $199, but $249 in December. Those games/and the X surely helped, but I'd be willing to give the former the biggest credit.

Agreed, although I think PUBG did play a big role in those sales. PUBG including bundles and a 199,- deal were the main reasons, above X1X.
Not sure if Cuphead really played a role as a console seller though. It didn't really sell well on XBox to begin with, although it's possible the VGAs helped promoting it.

newwil7l said:
LivingMetal said:

Only during the Christmas shopping season when it counts.

The Christmas shopping season is the most important time of the year. There is a reason PS4 has only sold like 2 million more consoles than XBO in total in the US despite coming ahead in just about every NPD. It is because MS gets aggressive during the holiday season when it counts most.

People can hate on MS all they want here, but they are among the most successful corporation in the world for a reason.

Why do people keep saying this, the whole year counts if the holiday season only counted then PS4 wouldn't be at 75m to X1's 35m the sales numbers say that all year performance most counts.

Wyrdness said:
newwil7l said:

Why do people keep saying this, the whole year counts if the holiday season only counted then PS4 wouldn't be at 75m to X1's 35m the sales numbers say that all year performance most counts.

I wasn't talking about global sales. We are talking about about American sales where the margin is 20 million to about 22 million. Clearly the holiday sales are more important than you think.