By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

lol if you think the Switch is the platform for shovelware you ought to take a look at Sony's library, or perhaps just watch this hilarious video from Sterling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8IdhhQyaQ

Nintendo apparently just OK'd one of those garbage steam games (some sort of firefighter simulator) so they may be headed down the same, tragic path, but the PS4 is still king among consoles.

I mean, Sony still has the trailer to Life of Black Tiger (featuring stolen music) on their own youtube channel, it's positively perplexing haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4

Around the Network

It's selling because if a revolutionary piece of tech with 2 generation defining games in it's first 9 months.  Nevermind ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, and Xenoblade 2.  

The fact that there are many great eshop games is a HUGE positive, not a negative.  There could not have been a better start for the Switch.

specialk said:
pokoko said:
Good to see ports and remasters have joined DLC on the accepted list. Next up, paying for online.

I've never seen what's wrong with ports. Games should be on as many platforms as possible. DLC can be good, bad, or neutral. Nintendo has never done bad DLC IMO.

Paid online is yet-to-be-seen.

He's talking to the movement of what's acceptable. PSP, PS3, PSV, and PS4 were all ridiculed for getting a lot of ports early in their life-cycle.  Since this practice is now accepting by the entire industry, he's saying that next, Nintendo fans will be ok with paying for online.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

They are still making ports of old games for Ps4 and Xone as well. They just announced Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered for Ps4/X1!

mZuzek said:
SecondWar said:
I for one will happily buy the DK port.

I'm happy for you, then. That game is awesome.

'I for one' - wondering if I could have made that sound more pretentious.

Around the Network

Ports, sure. But where is the shovelware?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Yet another astroturf topic...

What the OP said just isn't true.

Yes there are ports, but the Switch is part portable, so they immediately get a lot more value. And frankly getting ports is nothing to be shamed of. Especially considering these games that are being ported, are very high quality.

Pretty much all platforms right now have a lot of ports, and many times not a lot of value is gained. Certainly not as much as being portable.

I'd suggest you take your snake oil selling to the iOS forums.

Carl2291 said:

As long as Nintendo keep pushing out brand new games to go alongside the remasters and ports, then there's no real problem to be seen

That's the thing though, they're not pushing out enough brand new games; Kirby and Mario Tennis are all they've confirmed for Q1-2, that's a very weak showing.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 January 2018

curl-6 said:
Carl2291 said:

As long as Nintendo keep pushing out brand new games to go alongside the remasters and ports, then there's no real problem to be seen

That's the thing though, they're not putting out enough brand new games; Kirby and Mario Tennis are all they've confirmed for Q1-2, that's a very weak showing.

It really isn't. That's not a weak showing at all. PS4 and Xbox One don't get exclusives or mega AAA Releases any more often than that. 

And Q1 is always sort of light. PS4's Q1 last year was the exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, game releases are huge in April/May, and Sept-Dec. 

Alara317 said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing though, they're not putting out enough brand new games; Kirby and Mario Tennis are all they've confirmed for Q1-2, that's a very weak showing.

It really isn't. That's not a weak showing at all. PS4 and Xbox One don't get exclusives or mega AAA Releases any more often than that. 

And Q1 is always sort of light. PS4's Q1 last year was the exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, game releases are huge in April/May, and Sept-Dec. 

PS4/Xbone are constantly getting new major third party games though, Switch isn't.