By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global software, week ending 18th Nov

DonFerrari said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Didn't think it needed to be said but Zombi U is only one of many examples, just happened to be the one I could think of off the top of my head. I could have named Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Fifa instead but the point is the same either way.

But yes Torok you're right, as mentioned earlier if the Switch versions can get close to the X1 versions that should be good enough, but as you said we'll just have to wait and see if these games have the legs to do that.

They aren't, hence why the aforementioned anti-consumer practices still remain and still make money. Voting/complaining with your wallet is the only way to not excuse it, but people, not just Nintendo fans, haven't done that.

Picking pitch fork and boycotting aren't the same thing... still BF had a very big boycott because of the excessive lootboxes... also I'm talking about the pitch forking in VGC not WW where we can't really measure.

There is also a difference between not complaining and defending

Oh well then rest assured, Nintendo fans complain plenty. If you haven't seen it then that means just that, you haven't seen it, but it definitely exist. I certainly complained plenty about US/UM and will never buy it.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
DonFerrari said:

Picking pitch fork and boycotting aren't the same thing... still BF had a very big boycott because of the excessive lootboxes... also I'm talking about the pitch forking in VGC not WW where we can't really measure.

There is also a difference between not complaining and defending

Oh well then rest assured, Nintendo fans complain plenty. If you haven't seen it then that means just that, you haven't seen it, but it definitely exist. I certainly complained plenty about US/UM and will never buy it.

Sure, absence of evidence (or in this case, me not seeing it) isn't evidence of absence.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

The difference is that ZombiU was a new game built for Wii U, while the likes of Doom and Skyrim are ports. It costs less to port an existing game than it does to build a new one, so if, theoretically, Skyrim/Doom sell about the same as ZombiU, they would make more money.

torok said:

I agree, they are testing the waters. Unfortunately, it's hard for us to predict what are their expectations. Since these are just ports, it doesn't have to sell that much to make a profit. But they will probably compare sales of late ports like Skyrim between Switch and PS4/X1. It has to, at least, be close to the X1 version to be considered for future support.

Skyrim (per VGC) had a first week of 150K, that's a bit less than half the X1 version (350K, 1.6M LT) and 1/4 the PS4 one (590K, 2.7M LT). If it has some legs, it could do 1M and that would be a good result. Doom was also consistent with these ratios, for the first week: 80K on Switch, 205K on X1, 455K on PS4. It's not bad, considering that it was a late port on Switch. But those are also far from stellar numbers, we will have to wait and see.

Didn't think it needed to be said but Zombi U is only one of many examples, just happened to be the one I could think of off the top of my head. I could have named Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Fifa instead but the point is the same either way.

But yes Torok you're right, as mentioned earlier if the Switch versions can get close to the X1 versions that should be good enough, but as you said we'll just have to wait and see if these games have the legs to do that.

Okay, let's compare those then.

COD's openings on Wii U were 63k and 30k.

AC's were 28k and 31k.

FIFA's were 15k on Wii U and 114k on Switch. (That difference alone is a good indicator of how much better a system for third parties Switch is compared to Wii U)

So at 154k, Skyrim is way ahead of them all sales-wise.

third party games like skyrim, doom, L.A Noire and few more wont reach the 1 million mark on switch.

kazuyamishima said:
third party games like skyrim, doom, L.A Noire and few more wont reach the 1 million mark on switch.

Skyrim will. It's at 154k in its first week not counting digital, and many games with far lower openings have reached a million. Modern Warfare Reflex and World at War opened at 60k on Wii and sold over a million lifetime. Sonic Colours opened at 73k on Wii and went on to almost reach 2 million.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 January 2018