By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global software, week ending 18th Nov

curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Not looking good for AAA 3rd party support on Switch! L.A. Noire Switch not even in the Top 30 for it's debut, Doom Switch already dropping, and Skyrim, the only AAA 3rd party I felt had a chance at a million, probably wont get there with that opening. I think it's safe to say Resident Evil wont do much either. We can only hope developer expectations were in check.

Skyrim Switch will pass a million; many, many games have opened much lower than 154k and gone on to sell over a million.

And Doom actually held up okay; 80k first week to a 37k second week, not actually that steep a drop at all.

Well then I have to doubt Skyrim will be one of them.

I'd say it's not that good when it didn't open great to begin with and we're in the holiday season.

The difference in our perspectives probably comes from me thinking these games are gonna have no legs after the holidays. If I'm wrong about that, then sure these numbers might be fine, but for now I remain a skeptic!

xMetroid said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Not looking good for AAA 3rd party support on Switch! L.A. Noire Switch not even in the Top 30 for it's debut, Doom Switch already dropping, and Skyrim, the only AAA 3rd party I felt had a chance at a million, probably wont get there with that opening. I think it's safe to say Resident Evil wont do much either. We can only hope developer expectations were in check.

LA noire doing 10k more on Switch than Xbox one.

Sonic doing a lot better on Switch

Doom at 112k already probably close to 150k with digital.

Skyrim 150k first week is really good. 

MR at 800k

Lots of Indies selling far better on Switch than other system even compare to steam.

Third party isnt dead on Switch. It wont get major releases but games like TEW 2 that struggles to find success will be probably heading to Switch to save the game.

Erm I never said 3rd party was dead, and Indies aren't AAA. I'm just talking about the AAA 3rd party devs that don't normally support Nintendo. I don't count Mario Rabbids as I doubt Ubisoft are gonna think it's success means games like Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs can be successful too. I'm sure they understand that it's because it's using Nintendo IP. I sure wouldn't have bought it if it didn't have Mario in it hehe. As for Sega, they even made games for the Wii U so their support is a given. Your point about L.A. Noire is quite valid though, Rockstar will be hard pressed if they try using it's sales as an excuse to drop Switch support but still bring games to X1.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

Skyrim Switch will pass a million; many, many games have opened much lower than 154k and gone on to sell over a million.

And Doom actually held up okay; 80k first week to a 37k second week, not actually that steep a drop at all.

I'd say it's not that good when it didn't open great to begin with and we're in the holiday season.

The difference in our perspectives probably comes from me thinking these games are gonna have no legs after the holidays. If I'm wrong about that, then sure these numbers might be fine, but for now I remain a skeptic!

In that case I would ask why you don't expect them to have any legs after the holidays? It's not like there are a bunch of similar games coming out in the next few months that will cannibalize their sales.

curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

In that case I would ask why you don't expect them to have any legs after the holidays? It's not like there are a bunch of similar games coming out in the next few months that will cannibalize their sales.

Mostly just my gut feeling, nothing really concrete. I subscribe to the belief that people buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games and games like em. I think that's a significant reason why many Indies perform better on Switch as they're generally similar to Nintendo games, I mean a lot of them are platformers and Nintendo is pretty much the only AAA dev that still makes those. I got Stardew Valley to help hold me over during the wait for Animal Crossing, as I've heard many others do, and I'll probably be getting Wargroove since Advance Wars seems to be dead. Gritty realistic first person experiences however aren't something Nintendo makes, and thus probably aren't a big want for the Nintendo audience. The inevitable direct will hopefully fill out the year's line-up, leaving consumers little time and money for lower priority games like Doom n Skyrim. Wont mind if I'm wrong though! (about AAA game sales, not the direct lel)

Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

Mostly just my gut feeling, nothing really concrete. I subscribe to the belief that people buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games and games like em. I think that's a significant reason why many Indies perform better on Switch as they're generally similar to Nintendo games, I mean a lot of them are platformers and Nintendo is pretty much the only AAA dev that still makes those. I got Stardew Valley to help hold me over during the wait for Animal Crossing, as I've heard many others do, and I'll probably be getting Wargroove since Advance Wars seems to be dead. Gritty realistic first person experiences however aren't something Nintendo makes, and thus probably aren't a big want for the Nintendo audience. The inevitable direct will hopefully fill out the year's line-up, leaving consumers little time and money for lower priority games like Doom n Skyrim. Wont mind if I'm wrong though! (about AAA game sales, not the direct lel)

Grittier games can still be million sellers on Nintendo platforms; on the Wii, 4 COD games and 3 Resident Evil games crossed the million mark. I don't see why Skyrim can't do the same on Switch.

curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Grittier games can still be million sellers on Nintendo platforms; on the Wii, 4 COD games and 3 Resident Evil games crossed the million mark. I don't see why Skyrim can't do the same on Switch.

You can say that about any game, but yet not all games are million sellers.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

When a game opens at 154k (sans digital) in the first year of a platform with a bright future, it's more likely that it will pass a million than that it won't.

curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

When a game opens at 154k (sans digital) in the first year of a platform with a bright future, it's more likely that it will pass a million than that it won't.

Repeat yourself all yee want, my mind wont be changing, not until more numbers come in atleast.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
curl-6 said:

Repeat yourself all yee want, my mind wont be changing, not until more numbers come in atleast.

You're free to believe as you like, I'm just saying, the evidence is more in favour of it passing a million than not.

A few people in this thread don't seem to understand how mainline Pokémon entry --> re-package sales work. You don't compare US/UM directly with S/M, that makes no sense. Still, I'm of the side that is happy to see not the best market reception in the US to US/UM, GameFreak needs to throw out the formula they had for the 3DS titles, it's garbage.

Skyrim did okay on Switch. I have a feeling it'll be a consistent seller throughout Switch's lifetime, it seems like that type of first year title. Next week will be interesting for these third party garbage.

Last edited by NintendoPie - on 08 January 2018

I hope that with the Switch release we enter a new era of pokemon, where minor dlc isn't sold at a $40 pricetag to people who already own the game. If it was anyone but pokemon there'd be an uproar. Ultra should have been sold as a $10 DLC pack to owners of sun/moon. But it's making them money and no one seems to care so I guess it'll carry on. xD

Hopefully it doesn't continue with Switch though because the games will be $60 on there.