By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sales Figures No Longer Hot

Sales Numbers Less Important compared to the last two Generations?

Yes, a lot less important 5 11.36%

Yes, a bit less important 10 22.73%

No, a bit more important now 17 38.64%

No, a lot more important now 12 27.27%

Total:44
AlfredoTurkey said:
Sales info first became a big deal during the SNES and Genesis war. Each generation since, internet warriors have waged mortal warfare based on how much their piece of plastic sold etc. As long as that info is out there, the war will wage on for all eternity. It will not end until consoles end.

That definitely wasn't the case with the 4th gen consoles as Sega had never released official numbers and Nintendo used to publish units shipped per each FY, only to publish total sales figures later on, making monthly or even annual sales tracking impossible or highly inaccurate in the best case scenario. The Genesis LT numbers differ by almost 10 million, depending on the source. Even if you take most optimistic figure, which is 40 million, the margin of error is huge. 

Around the Network
Kristof81 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Sales info first became a big deal during the SNES and Genesis war. Each generation since, internet warriors have waged mortal warfare based on how much their piece of plastic sold etc. As long as that info is out there, the war will wage on for all eternity. It will not end until consoles end.

That definitely wasn't the case with the 4th gen consoles as Sega had never released official numbers and Nintendo used to publish units shipped per each FY, only to publish total sales figures later on, making monthly or even annual sales tracking impossible or highly inaccurate in the best case scenario. The Genesis LT numbers differ by almost 10 million, depending on the source. Even if you take most optimistic figure, which is 40 million, the margin of error is huge. 

I can remember arguing about it as a kid though. Genesis was winning in the US until Saturn came out and Sega shifted gears and lost their fucking mind. As a result of that, it was the first generation where people were bragging about sales, games... in general is was the beginning of the whole "my plastic thing is better than your plastic thing" way of thinking. 

They are no long hot because they are so old. There was a time when this site had figures a couple of weeks old.

Now here we are second week of January 2018 I see the console sales is second week in November 2017  on the front page.

robzo100 said:

The Wii Era, in my opinion, was the first time that Sales Figures became a front-and-center topic in the industry. I think it was a mix of a revolution in gaming control schemes(motion), an overwhelming hardware leader(Wii), and online gaming communities having established themselves(compared to the 2000 console era). So, for starters, do you agree with that premise?

But now, it seems that the topic has fizzled out. In part because the revolution of the mainstream motion controls was no longer "new". Secondly, motion controls actually were phased out surprisingly, partly because Nintendo literally took away the wii-motes! Agree/Disagree?

So now the Switch has dominated in a big way, and yet the kind of excitement we saw during the Wii era doesn't seem to match. I'm not saying it's not high, I just don't see the match. Is that just me or is it simply the same level of hype but expressed differently? For example, the college experience back then was a group of people getting together to play Wii Bowling, an experience that I haven't seen replicated on the Switch.

Not necessarily a Nintendo-specific topic, but is interesting to me that "Sales" are no longer the hot topic they used to be. I think the way people interact with each other in society is responsible, as entertainment phenomenon's have an important social element to them, and I definitely see societal glue becoming "thinner" Last note is that I'm not currently an engaged gamer as I don't own any current gen systems, but I still follow the industry very closely and am passionate about Nintendo in general.

I wasn't around on the site during the Wii era, but considering the revolutionary aspect of the Wii's motion control mechanics, its appeal to 'non-gamers' and the runaway success of its sales, I'd be surprised if the relationship between those things weren't a major topic of discussion.

Having said that, I disagree with the idea that the  status of motion controls has any impact on the way sales topics are being discussed on VGChartz today. There were plenty of heated discussion surrounding the Wii U's failure to live up to expectations and dissecting the reasons for that failure. Motion controls was not a new thing then. There was plenty of heated discussion at the time the PS4 and XBox 1 were released.

IMO the major reason for the lull in sales discussion around here was because of the failure for regular numbers updates and other features on the site.

In answer to your third question, I think it is just you. Switch is just the next chapter in the Nintendo story, just as the current Sony/Microsoft consoles are in theirs. Nintendo seems to deliberately not conform to specific generations, both in the timing of their releases and technical specifications, making it difficult to make meaningful comparisons. (Example: Wii U doesn't even feature in last generation platforms tab on the home page) 

Numbers are being updated regularly again (albeit a bit further behind than before). There's plenty to talk about. According to the numbers, Switch has achieved 10 mil retail sales in the first 10 months of its life.  But it's still not touching the > 1 mil per week pre-holiday sales that have now taken the PS4 past the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

And with the regular update of the numbers, there's always the accuracy of the numbers to debate.

There's an option missing from the poll - which would have been for "Just as important". That would have been the one I voted for.

Now I can't speak for internet wide discussions, as this is the only forum I visit for gaming. But if you can point to examples supporting your observations I'd be interested to read.

This gen is missing a PS3 vs X360 battle so of course sales are less relevant. But on the bright side Switch is going to compete with the PS4 now and there is a plethora of threads about sales
So while I agree sales are bit cooler this gen, they are still interesting enough to be hot. Numbers might be a bit late these days, but thru are pretty accurate so I can live with that. PS4 is booming BTW.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Sales figures have been an important topic, at least since PS2 days.
If you go see past E3s, you'll see that Sony and Nintendo did focus on sales figures.
Actually that's one of the reasons people criticized past E3s.

It's always more exciting when there's a neck-to-neck competition (PS3 and XB360), aswell as having, at the same time, a monster in sales like Wii.
This generation things were pretty much decided from the startm with the novelty being how well Switch is selling.

Maybe next-gen MS will surprise us again.

You shouldn't consider yourself the ruler...

The sales haven't got much attention this gen because first they were to late and second it have been obvious within months that PS4 would smack everyone... and when Switch release we got some attention to it because Switch can win in some markets but likely won't beat PS4 WW.

So perhaps you were excited when Wii was winning and now that Sony is dominating you have avoided to look.

Also PS4 dominating is no news since they have done it in 3 of the 4 gens they took part.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Like many already pointed out,sales are not that hot because of the delay of posting number. It is not that interesting to discuss software numbers from 2 months ago. And with the late hardware numbers the discussion is replace by people wondering if the numbers should or should not be adjusted because we kinda already know since a few companies already had released the official figures (Not saying it is the case right now,aside from Nintendo that actually did gave numbers).

But sales it is still important and at least it is the main reason I come here. And next year it will be interesting to see how PS4 and Switch will perform against each other.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Stuart23 said:

Like many already pointed out,sales are not that hot because of the delay of posting number. It is not that interesting to discuss software numbers from 2 months ago. And with the late hardware numbers the discussion is replace by people wondering if the numbers should or should not be adjusted because we kinda already know since a few companies already had released the official figures (Not saying it is the case right now,aside from Nintendo that actually did gave numbers).

But sales it is still important and at least it is the main reason I come here. And next year it will be interesting to see how PS4 and Switch will perform against each other.

Sony gave numbers for the over 70.4M some time ago... but yes we are due for year end figures for Sony and Nintendo. MS will give us some MAUs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

robzo100 said:

The Wii Era, in my opinion, was the first time that Sales Figures became a front-and-center topic in the industry. I think it was a mix of a revolution in gaming control schemes(motion), an overwhelming hardware leader(Wii), and online gaming communities having established themselves(compared to the 2000 console era). So, for starters, do you agree with that premise?

But now, it seems that the topic has fizzled out. In part because the revolution of the mainstream motion controls was no longer "new". Secondly, motion controls actually were phased out surprisingly, partly because Nintendo literally took away the wii-motes! Agree/Disagree?

So now the Switch has dominated in a big way, and yet the kind of excitement we saw during the Wii era doesn't seem to match. I'm not saying it's not high, I just don't see the match. Is that just me or is it simply the same level of hype but expressed differently? For example, the college experience back then was a group of people getting together to play Wii Bowling, an experience that I haven't seen replicated on the Switch.

-

Not necessarily a Nintendo-specific topic, but is interesting to me that "Sales" are no longer the hot topic they used to be. I think the way people interact with each other in society is responsible, as entertainment phenomenon's have an important social element to them, and I definitely see societal glue becoming "thinner" Last note is that I'm not currently an engaged gamer as I don't own any current gen systems, but I still follow the industry very closely and am passionate about Nintendo in general.

I agree with more eyes being turned towards sales figures during 7th Gen, but I disagree with your theory on why. Internet culture was hitting a stride in the mid-2000's, and sites like VGC also popped up at the same time. It wasn't because "zomg motion controls", it was just a coincidence that motion controls became a thing while the gaming community became more interested in sales figures.

Disagree on the second point entirely. If anything, we're even more focused on console sales than we've ever been before.

The hype for the Wii wasn't gamer hype, it was general hype. That's the difference.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames