By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sales Figures No Longer Hot

Sales Numbers Less Important compared to the last two Generations?

Yes, a lot less important 5 11.36%

Yes, a bit less important 10 22.73%

No, a bit more important now 17 38.64%

No, a lot more important now 12 27.27%

Total:44
spurgeonryan said:
Yeah, the site kind of lost its thing with heavy moderation and a lack of charts for years. Not saying the moderations were not warranted, just that the throw someone in with a pack of wolves is gone now like we used to have. It was exciting and brought a lot of craziness. There is still that kind of atmosphere from time to time, but many know not to do it.

Much more control now.

The good old days. Glad I seen them. That wolf pack devoured many a user who is no longer with us. 

Anyway, as a ps4 fan watching my favourite console set itself up to breeze past the Wii's sales is way more enjoyable then watching ps3 come second last gen. Personally I prefer this gens sales. 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:

The good old days. Glad I seen them. That wolf pack devoured many a user who is no longer with us. 

Anyway, as a ps4 fan watching my favourite console set itself up to breeze past the Wii's sales is way more enjoyable then watching ps3 come second last gen. Personally I prefer this gens sales. 

Wasn't it obvious that you would enjoy this moment ?

To me and many others it is obvious. I'm still entitled to make the observation. Do you take issue? 

CGI-Quality said:

Well, we still have an overwhelming market leader (PS4). Part of the difference is last time, it wasn't just the Wii that was exciting to talk about. The 360 and PS3's close war was such a fun thing to discuss and see.

This generation is more like the 6th (barring the anomaly that is the Switch). The PS4 is so far ahead of its closest rival (the Xbox One) that such a "battle" isn't worth discussion. So the games are doing much more talking.

Switch is not gen 8. It's the first console of gen 9 imo

I LOVE ICELAND!

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:

To me and many others it is obvious. I'm still entitled to make the observation. Do you take issue? 

Not really. I always respect the way you are when it came to your enthusiasm with Playstation products.

You're the frog of my dreams, you better remember that !

Your dreams come true... Which is probably why I'm always right xD

Hiku said:
robzo100 said:

The Wii Era, in my opinion, was the first time that Sales Figures became a front-and-center topic in the industry. I think it was a mix of a revolution in gaming control schemes(motion), an overwhelming hardware leader(Wii), and online gaming communities having established themselves(compared to the 2000 console era). So, for starters, do you agree with that premise?

Well I'm not sure about the "overwhelming hardware leader" part.

Wii - 101m
PS3 - 86m
360 - 85m

vs.

PS2 - 157m
GC - 21m
XB - 24m

If the gap between the leader of the generation and the rest was something that supposedly sparked "sales hype", then surely the Wii era was eclipsed by the PS2 era.
That said, I personally wasn't really following sales much back during the Wii era, so I wouldn't know how it differs from today.

It wasn’t “overwhelming” when you put it like that......

but the 360 has two extra years than the wii. It had 2005-2013 as opposed to 2006-2012. The wii outsold the 360 by 16 million in a quarter less time than the 360. 

Xbox 360 would be more near 60M if it only had six years. PS3 would be around 68M if it only got six years.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

Numbers aren't hot because they're not updated to the same degree. They were like clock work for years. Outside a week or two a year. They were expected and the people came because of the fact.

Casuals don't care about numbers. Let alone consider looking online and joining a forum to discuss the numbers.

Not to take away anything from the updates to the site and recent numbers situation.... The site is getting better and better every day.

This I totally agree with. I joined this site at the very beginning of the Wii/X360/PS3 sales battle and EVERY week the anticipation was sky high among members as the numbers came in. Who can take Sony’s crown? Will the X360 early launch make it competitive? Everyone wanted to be the first to post “last week sales numbers up”

Now with updates sometimes months behind this once guaranteed weekly excitement has long gone. In days long past we all checked for sales updates (what seems like) every day. Now I check for updates every month. At one point I was checking every couple months and no updates. Then for a very long time I didn’t bother to check at all.

This site is dedicated to video games sales and when there is no information on these sales for very long periods of time then yes, the thrill dies.

Last edited by justinian - on 07 January 2018

robzo100 said:

The Wii Era, in my opinion, was the first time that Sales Figures became a front-and-center topic in the industry. I think it was a mix of a revolution in gaming control schemes(motion), an overwhelming hardware leader(Wii), and online gaming communities having established themselves(compared to the 2000 console era). So, for starters, do you agree with that premise?

But now, it seems that the topic has fizzled out. In part because the revolution of the mainstream motion controls was no longer "new". Secondly, motion controls actually were phased out surprisingly, partly because Nintendo literally took away the wii-motes! Agree/Disagree?

So now the Switch has dominated in a big way, and yet the kind of excitement we saw during the Wii era doesn't seem to match. I'm not saying it's not high, I just don't see the match. Is that just me or is it simply the same level of hype but expressed differently? For example, the college experience back then was a group of people getting together to play Wii Bowling, an experience that I haven't seen replicated on the Switch.

Not necessarily a Nintendo-specific topic, but is interesting to me that "Sales" are no longer the hot topic they used to be. I think the way people interact with each other in society is responsible, as entertainment phenomenon's have an important social element to them, and I definitely see societal glue becoming "thinner" Last note is that I'm not currently an engaged gamer as I don't own any current gen systems, but I still follow the industry very closely and am passionate about Nintendo in general.

Seems to me that your enjoyment of sales discussions is highly tied to Nintendo's performance. 

Besides..   did you miss the November-NPD thread?  Things are certainly  heating up!!

DonFerrari said:
You shouldn't consider yourself the ruler...

The sales haven't got much attention this gen because first they were to late and second it have been obvious within months that PS4 would smack everyone... and when Switch release we got some attention to it because Switch can win in some markets but likely won't beat PS4 WW.

So perhaps you were excited when Wii was winning and now that Sony is dominating you have avoided to look.

Also PS4 dominating is no news since they have done it in 3 of the 4 gens they took part.

When Sony dominates life is boring confirmed. That makes sense, thanks Don.

Hiku said:
robzo100 said:

Well I'm not sure about the "overwhelming hardware leader" part.

Wii - 101m
PS3 - 86m
360 - 85m

vs.

PS2 - 157m
GC - 21m
XB - 24m

If the gap between the leader of the generation and the rest was something that supposedly sparked "sales hype", then surely the Wii era was eclipsed by the PS2 era.
That said, I personally wasn't really following sales much back during the Wii era, so I wouldn't know how it differs from today.

It's true that the "final" numbers tell a very different story, and I often forget that. Still, it should be in combination with how things were also fluidly evolving at the time. The PS2 really was a beast haha

chakkra said:
robzo100 said:

But now, it seems that the topic has fizzled out. In part because the revolution of the mainstream motion controls was no longer "new". Secondly, motion controls actually were phased out surprisingly, partly because Nintendo literally took away the wii-motes! Agree/Disagree?

So now the Switch has dominated in a big way, and yet the kind of excitement we saw during the Wii era doesn't seem to match. I'm not saying it's not high, I just don't see the match. Is that just me or is it simply the same level of hype but expressed differently? For example, the college experience back then was a group of people getting together to play Wii Bowling, an experience that I haven't seen replicated on the Switch.

Not necessarily a Nintendo-specific topic, but is interesting to me that "Sales" are no longer the hot topic they used to be. I think the way people interact with each other in society is responsible, as entertainment phenomenon's have an important social element to them, and I definitely see societal glue becoming "thinner" Last note is that I'm not currently an engaged gamer as I don't own any current gen systems, but I still follow the industry very closely and am passionate about Nintendo in general.

Seems to me that your enjoyment of sales discussions is highly tied to Nintendo's performance. 

Besides..   did you miss the November-NPD thread?  Things are certainly  heating up!!

Can't lie, tends to happen as I have Nintendo in my blood. I do appreciate you pointing that out though! For perspective and awareness