By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sales Figures No Longer Hot

Sales Numbers Less Important compared to the last two Generations?

Yes, a lot less important 5 11.36%

Yes, a bit less important 10 22.73%

No, a bit more important now 17 38.64%

No, a lot more important now 12 27.27%

Total:44

The part of the community that were here for the numbers have long since gone or at least become inactive. They won't be coming back, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see a significant base of users who come for the weekly updates again, even should we get numbers every single week from here on out.
The community has sustained itself without the numbers, the original concept of the site is almost irrelevant today.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Mummelmann said:
The part of the community that were here for the numbers have long since gone or at least become inactive. They won't be coming back, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see a significant base of users who come for the weekly updates again, even should we get numbers every single week from here on out.
The community has sustained itself without the numbers, the original concept of the site is almost irrelevant today.

So ... How can it be irrelevant but being the most suggest that it is discussed here ?

I mean, you just get a quick look at the NPD,Amazon,COMG,Hardware sales,Software sales and sales predictions thread to see that's why people are still there first and foremost.

The original concept of the site was to release independent weekly numbers, it hasn't really done that on a regular basis for a couple of years at least. Users discuss sales and gaming but the core concept is not what's kept the community alive.

CGI-Quality said:

Well, we still have an overwhelming market leader (PS4). Part of the difference is last time, it wasn't just the Wii that was exciting to talk about. The 360 and PS3's close war was such a fun thing to discuss and see.

This generation is more like the 6th (barring the anomaly that is the Switch). The PS4 is so far ahead of its closest rival (the Xbox One) that such a "battle" isn't worth discussion. So the games are doing much more talking.

Right.  The numbers themselves are still interesting.  Its just that there's no battle for first place to talk about.  

Mar1217 said:
Mummelmann said:

The original concept of the site was to release independent weekly numbers, it hasn't really done that on a regular basis for a couple of years at least. Users discuss sales and gaming but the core concept is not what's kept the community alive.

Ahh ... well, not like I would complain honestly :P 

Me neither, this place used to be quite hostile compared to now. Far better than most other forums, but still, a lot worse! I used to post on Gamespot and IGN in 06 and 07, came here for the peace (and the numbers).

The 7th gen was interesting since it shook up the industry hierarchy a great deal, so the numbers were of huge interest and value to a lot of users. But I prefer vgchartz anno 2018 to the old one, it also had a slew of technical issues back in the day.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope, they were all mandated by Sony. Happy?

Relax it was just sarcasm. :)

I know it was, why do you think I joked back?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."