By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be interested in a different Switch ala PS Vita TV?

Dgc1808 said:

Hell no. I like the fact that I get both worlds with the system that was actually produced.

EDIT: Also, the detachable controllers would still be a part of the package. That or, some games would require a pair of Wii-Motes because the Joy-Cons are essentially that. 1-2 Switch for example is pure motion controls. There's also another game that can't be played docked. It requires the use of touch.

good point on the joycons, althoug I don't think it would killanyone to go without 1 2 switch.

I think bringing Switch closer to a tv console would cost Nintendo a mental advantage against Sony, i.e. "Sony cannot beat Nintendo at handhelds"

Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Like the 2DS and New 3DS and New 2DS...

I think the market is smart enough to understand portable/home console Switch, versus home console only Switch. It would also be given a name like Switch TV.

Giving people a cheaper entry would only grow the Switch userbase.

i think the  Switchuserbase is growing fast enough already, maintain focus on the primary Switch for now and look into something like this in a couple of years.Also, while consumers on this forum can tell the diff, gift buyers and even dertain casual consumers may not.

Yes and the Wii u is proof of that. People in 2016 still didn't know it was a new console I mean come on. For the stupid 3ds comparison all the versions were still portable still two screen so the basics were all the same so that doesn't ruin market perception. When they come out with switch lite (or mini) and switch XL (LL) that won't ruin market perception. The worst thing to do is provide options that confuse people. On top of that the monetary gains from just a handheld or just a console would be minimum since people who really want it will buy the base model anyways while the other people most will come up with another excuse to tell themselves while some will buy. It will also mean less profit since those buying the base model at a more premium price will just buy cheaper versions of they don't want a hybrid. It will also disturb the factory lineups since when 3ds is done they will be curving out switches like crazy but other models will disturb all that. All in all the risk is too great to do anything with it for this generation. Once the switch concept is etched into the public's mind like playstation is then experimentation can be done.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Mr Puggsly said:
SecondWar said:

First of all, that's not what your title says. Im not even sure what it says tbh.

Also, you never get a perm docked Switch. It's in the name - Switch. A Switch that can't switch isn't a Switch.

We get the gimmick, but its a console called the Switch.

The 2DS didn't have its own games, it played 3DS games.

Fair point. And to be honest, I'm not even sure how often I'd use the Switch in portable mode.

Eagle367 said:
couchmonkey said:

i think the  Switchuserbase is growing fast enough already, maintain focus on the primary Switch for now and look into something like this in a couple of years.Also, while consumers on this forum can tell the diff, gift buyers and even dertain casual consumers may not.

Yes and the Wii u is proof of that. People in 2016 still didn't know it was a new console I mean come on. For the stupid 3ds comparison all the versions were still portable still two screen so the basics were all the same so that doesn't ruin market perception. When they come out with switch lite (or mini) and switch XL (LL) that won't ruin market perception. The worst thing to do is provide options that confuse people. On top of that the monetary gains from just a handheld or just a console would be minimum since people who really want it will buy the base model anyways while the other people most will come up with another excuse to tell themselves while some will buy. It will also mean less profit since those buying the base model at a more premium price will just buy cheaper versions of they don't want a hybrid. It will also disturb the factory lineups since when 3ds is done they will be curving out switches like crazy but other models will disturb all that. All in all the risk is too great to do anything with it for this generation. Once the switch concept is etched into the public's mind like playstation is then experimentation can be done.

I think that's partly due to lack of interest in Wii U and a bad name. I mean what did the U even stand for and what does a U do? I mean Super Wii or Wii Advance would have atleast given the impression its doing something more than a Wii.

I know some people thought the Wii U was the tablet control and quite frankly it was cumbersome required accessory a casual console.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if it was simply called the Wii HD and just used the Wiimotes, it would have been cheaper and sold better. The Wiimotes were unique and Nintendo just gave up on it for a gamepad with a screen, its was an incredibly stupid decision.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would like to see Nintendo do something like this further down the line. Right now I think it's important to fully establish the hybrid console.  However, in a couple year I'd like to see them come out with a much more powerful set top box version of the Switch.  They should use a day and date version of Nvidia Tegra and won't have to worry about battery life ect so they can overclock that. Allow games to run in 4k or close to it using dynamic resolution and allow for games to be patched for other graphical options as well.

From a marketing perspective undercutting the price of the switch wouldn't be wise. They should wait and come out with some more high end and more expensive.  A core niche audience. Rather than undercutting because right now you want to have a lot of hybrids out there for word of mouth because that's the system that's going find a broad audience.

Around the Network

I might be interested in a cheaper non mobile version of the Switch for the exclusive RPGs.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

On the contrary, I would be interested in a smaller Switch with a smaller screen and worse screen quality (still the same resolution, though) in order to make it cheaper.

It would still need to connect to the Dock, otherwise the name Switch would be stupid, but having it be $70-100 cheaper because it is mostly designed as a portable device that can play same games as main Switch. I would actually be inclined to buy a second Switch if one was like that, for my wife (as she has enjoyed this device more than anything except maybe the 3ds early on).

I wouldn't be against a ps vita tv like thing, but not if it comes at the cost of not having what I just described above. Not to mention, let's be honest, the financially smart thing to do (in terms of sales) is to go after the cheaper more portable market. Plenty of houses having multiple 3ds/ds devices. Nobody has multiple Wii/Wii Us/Switches in their house (that I'm aware of).

Mr Puggsly said:
Eagle367 said:
No it will ruin market perception. It will be like biting themselves in the ass.

I think the market is smart enough to understand portable/home console Switch, versus home console only Switch. It would also be given a name like Switch TV.

And what is it that this TV only "Switch" would "switch" to?  

"Would you be interested in a different Switch ala PS Vita TV?"

Yes, a docked only version of a switch, with a cheaper controller (no motion controll units that drive up price).
Sure.... get it down to 199$ (no motion controlls, no screen, no battery ect ect) and that sounds like a good deal.

Mandalore76 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

And what is it that this TV only "Switch" would "switch" to?  

Its just a name, tbh it doesnt matter.

Point is alot the switch price tag is due to the ability to also be a handheld.
If you make a tv only switch, you could probably drop its price by 100$ or more.
ALOT of people would like a 100$ cheaper tv only switch.