By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be interested in a different Switch ala PS Vita TV?

as the tittle says, would you be interested in a Switch that doesn't switch and it's always like the docked Switch because you are not interested in mobility. i would buy one, because i don't want to pay for a screen, battery and those detachable controllers if i will never use them... anyone else would prefer this (cheaper console) instead of the full hybrid that is the current Switch?

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

Absolutley, I'd go for a £199.99 Docked Only Switch over a £279.99 normal one any day.

The Switch's value IS the hybrid nature. Yet, I would think without the display and joy cons that device could be sold for $99.99. I think at that price it would sell like hotcakes, but cannibalize Switch proper sales.

Tough call for nintendo, the switch is the handheld replacement and they wont want to damage that synergy.

Last edited by dgboweniii - on 04 January 2018

I can see it happening if it release alongside a handheld-only version AND the price is below 199€. Otherwise, there's no point in going for these models.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Not really. Some might bite, though. Price point would have to be low. Something like that could eventually replace the DS/GB line. I like the simple, straightforward model they have going right now, though. 

I'd rather the next step just be a "New" Switch model that still does both while adding a little horsepower under the hood and being more energy efficient (think "New" 3DS). 

Last edited by StuOhQ - on 04 January 2018

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

A dockless Switch model would probably be a higher priority than a Vita TV-like variation. It would allow Nintendo to lower the price by 50-75 dollars without much hassle and those that want tv functionality later on could just buy a Switch dock.  At least in that scenario, the Switch model could still be called a 'Switch' since it would still have two modes of play while a tv-only Switch model would lose the entire purpose of the Switch's existence.

A cheaper price bundled with a pro controller would instantly make the Switch much more appealing to me. The portability means nothing to me, it just makes it more expensive and awkward.

As it stands, I'm not going to pay that much just for Zelda and the handful of other exclusives I'd play on the system, as it would be my last choice for multi-plats.

I think a much cheaper SKU would increase sales as a "second console" for the Switch that won't be there at its current price point.

wombat123 said:

A dockless Switch model would probably be a higher priority than a Vita TV-like variation. It would allow Nintendo to lower the price by 50-75 dollars without much hassle and those that want tv functionality later on could just buy a Switch dock.  At least in that scenario, the Switch model could still be called a 'Switch' since it would still have two modes of play while a tv-only Switch model would lose the entire purpose of the Switch's existence.

no, it would lose just part of the original idea, but why force people to buy a screen, battery and controllers if i don't want them?

if i buy it and i never take it out of the dock? am i using it wrong? am i not allowed to use it that way because it lose the entire purpose?

i work in my home, i leave my house 2 times per week and when i do is because i need to do something, it's not to go to a park and seat at a bench... the mobile part has zero interest for me. yes, i don't have a normal way of life but my gaming habits are considered normal, i like to seat down to play and i would like a option for me. 

pokoko said:
A cheaper price bundled with a pro controller would instantly make the Switch much more appealing to me. The portability means nothing to me, it just makes it more expensive and awkward.

As it stands, I'm not going to pay that much just for Zelda and the handful of other exclusives I'd play on the system, as it would be my last choice for multi-plats.

I think a much cheaper SKU would increase sales as a "second console" for the Switch that won't be there at its current price point.

At its current price point it's selling exceptionally well, though. Why reduce the price tag to secure a "second console" market when it's succeeding at $300 as a "first console"?

RolStoppable said:
Barkley said:
Absolutley, I'd go for a £199.99 Docked Only Switch over a £279.99 normal one any day.

Not fair. The savings of PS Vita TV compared to Vita were only $50.

that was example of a price he would like to see, and the mention of the PS Vita TV was just to explain the concept of the console, not to draw comparisons...

me personally , would only buy it for 150 because that is what i think is a good price for this "Switch"...