By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So I've been replaying the Halo franchise.

Puppyroach said:
Jigsawx1 said:

Really ? You have them in GoW 4 and Forza too why is that something nice if there is a ultimate edition?

Dont get me wrong i like all the games but MS is milking theese franchises to the blood at the moment.

In My opinion lootboxes and reqpacks are destroying games. I would pay 90 eur for a game if it dont would have lootboxes

I don't even reflect most of the time on Halo 5 having paid req packs. Since you can easily get a gold req pack through only 2-3 matches and I have more than enough vehicles and weapons to have great matches. This model keeps the price down (most people would not pay $90 for the game) and I get free DLC. It's a win-win in my book. 

I agree with Puppy.  Halo 5 had one of the least intrusive microtransaction schemes I can remember.  Sure, no microtransactions at all would be idea for me.  But, other people like buying stuff in-game.  And, devs and publishers exist to make money.  So, they should sell things to those people.  They just need to try not to piss off gamers like you and me, who don't want those things.  IMO, 343 did a good job of that in Halo 5.  

Around the Network

I'll never forget when I first played Halo: CE on XBox.

Absolutely blown away... Microsoft, make another like it.

Man, Halo 3 was such an amazing game and it has one of the longest lasting appeal. I'll still play the campaign and be in awe with everything. Seriously that is probably one of the best single player experience I have ever gone through. I just love the build up and the finality of it. I had a recent split-screen LAN session with my friends.

I will ALWAYS pick local multiplayer VS online. It's a shame they removed a lot of the local multiplayer aspect in Halo 5.

yoscrafty said:
Man, Halo 3 was such an amazing game and it has one of the longest lasting appeal. I'll still play the campaign and be in awe with everything. Seriously that is probably one of the best single player experience I have ever gone through. I just love the build up and the finality of it. I had a recent split-screen LAN session with my friends.

I will ALWAYS pick local multiplayer VS online. It's a shame they removed a lot of the local multiplayer aspect in Halo 5.

Yeah, that is the one, BIG thing they really regret doing I believe =). They have stated since that splitscreen will be standard in all Halo games going forward, and the campaign would have benefitted so much from being able to play it through with a friend locally, and warzone would be a blast =).

DivinePaladin said:
Pemalite said:

They did give away a copy of Halo: Reach with Games with Gold at one point.

Halo Wars 2 is a solid title as well, not as refined as the original Halo Wars, but easily more fleshed out.
Sadly the Multiplayer component lacks population and is thus useless to me. (For both Halo Wars 1 and 2.)

I believe I got rid of my 360 before GWG even began in earnest, which is what made me confused! My current theory is that my brother logged onto his account on the 360 I'd given him, got Reach, and gameshared immediately in case I'd ever get an Xbox again. A smart man!

You could have gotten the games via the Xbox live website? :P
It's what I do every time Games with Gold games come out, then after 6+ months I let all the games in que download.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Of all the Halo games I’ve only played 5 and I was really disappointed by this game. Playing halo 5 makes me think why the series is so popular and considered one of the major gaming franchises ever. Though reading that the majority Halo fans feel the same way about halo 5 campaign I’ve decided to give the franchise another chance. I’ve bought halo 3, ODST and 4 and plan on playing them at some point this year. I also hope that Microsoft will add halo 1 and 2 to B/C so I can play them as well.

I think they tried to emulate Halo 2 far to closely with Halo 5.
Having the campaign end on a cliff hanger... Having the campaign jump between different characters... Those were some valid criticisms that were held against Halo 2's campaign back in the day, so it was surprising to see those mistakes made again... Especially after how solid Halo 4's campaign was.

Halo 3 is probably my favorite game in the franchise, spent hundreds of hours playing that title, loved every 30fps, sub 720P, poor frame-pacing, laggy-as-shite moment.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Barozi said:

Huh why? Halo MCC has all of them included and costs like $10. (except for ODST, which costs extra)

1) I prefer to buy games at retail and MCC is 2 times more expensive for me than 3+4+ODST (I bought them used).

2) I've heard that MCC is a broken mess which wasn't fixed even now so I think that playing multiplayer on this one will be pretty difficult.

3) I want to see Halo 3 4K improvements when I upgrade to X.

The Xbox 360 Enhanced version of Halo 3 is the best version to play on Xbox currently.

Microsoft/343i have made a renewed commitment to patching and fixing the Master Chief Collection and making an Xbox One X enhanced version of the game... So when that finally happens, that will become the best version of Halo 3, mostly because 60fps.

VAMatt said:

I agree.  I thought 5 was a solid game.  It's just that the expectations for Halo are so high, they're nearly impossible to meet.  

Halo 5 was an average game, but an average Halo game is still a solid title... We just expect more.
We do have to give praise where praise is due... And 343i has done a good job supporting Halo 5 over the long term. - I just wish allot of the patched-in-content was there on launch.

Puppyroach said:
VAMatt said:

I didn't find the microtransactions in Warzone to be a big deal.  I never paid for anything, and I had more boosts than I needed.

Reqs could use a tweak but not be removed. They should rather be implemented in more games the way Halo 5 does it. 

Remove them. Just charge more for the game on launch.

I feel Halo lost something when they removed weapons, power ups and vehicles from the map, which required strategy to obtain and control... And moved it to a micro-transaction/loot box model. In short... And in my opinion... Req packs reqed the game.

LuzerkBR said:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure they won't drop the REQ packs since it generated a lot of revenue for MS/343, but I could be wrong. Let's wait for what E3 has to offer for us regarding this game.

Money talks and all that. :(
Hopefully the EA debacle has made them think twice.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

It is a shame that you watched Halo Reach an not played it...I don't think I can forgive you ever.

Halo 5 has an average campaign. Balancing for legendary solo sucked for example.

Multiplayer is great though, of course only online. The only Halo i havn' played with my daughtrr so far.

About the REQ Packs, you don't need to buy stuff, especially if not playing Warzone. I was quite fine with how that system worked even if you pay absolutely zero.

konnichiwa said:
It is a shame that you watched Halo Reach an not played it...I don't think I can forgive you ever.

I beat it years ago. Twice, actually. I didn't know what the heck was going on because I played it split screen and we blew through the story without paying attention. There were even times when the game would tell us what to do and we weren't listening so we just wandered around lost! At the end I was like "what the hell is going on? Is this game over?"

Only then did I realize that I missed the entire point!

I just decided to replay the entire series since Halo 5 was in 4K/60 and I'd never played it despite owning it. I wanted to build up to it. I do wish I'd (re)played Reach, though. I'll probably finish Halo 5 today and then go back and play it. I just hope I don't miss gameplay stuff added in H4 and H5 too much.

d21lewis said:
konnichiwa said:

I beat it years ago. Twice, actually. I didn't know what the heck was going on because I played it split screen and we blew through the story without paying attention. There were even times when the game would tell us what to do and we weren't listening so we just wandered around lost! At the end I was like "what the hell is going on? Is this game over?"

Only then did I realize that I missed the entire point!

I just decided to replay the entire series since Halo 5 was in 4K/60 and I'd never played it despite owning it. I wanted to build up to it. I do wish I'd (re)played Reach, though. I'll probably finish Halo 5 today and then go back and play it. I just hope I don't miss gameplay stuff added in H4 and H5 too much.

Halo Reach is fine because it has those special abilities that feel similar.

Aaaaaand I'm done. Woo! What a ride!

Didn't end on the highest note storywise but I had a damn good time. I imagine it would have been better with 4 player co-op a great idea but the same thing that kinda drug down Gears 3 for me. Best month of gaming I can remember. Can't wait until Halo 6!

Next up, Bioshock Collection... I haven't completed ANY of those games.