By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed in 2018 [Endgadget]

LuzerkBR said:
CGI-Quality said:

But he wasn't denying that. His insinuation was that the less exclusives a console has, the less incentive there is to buy it. 

"with a lack of true exclusives, current and future-wise, there is nothing there on X1 that gives an incentive to pick one up.  If can play the same games elsewhere then why bother?"

In my opinion he meant that there is no reason (incentive) to buy an Xbox, not that there is less incentive, and I wanted to make my point against that.

30+ million gamers have found incentive to buy and play an Xbox One, blowing that argument out of the water anyway.

GameAnalyser said:
CGI-Quality said:

And, again (with a Warning this time), cut the nonsense. Last chance you get!

Oh God, I just get a little annoyed with comments like these on PC gamers. The efforts we take to upgrade based on the trends deserves more respect. Are you upgrading your GPUs this year to TITAN Vs(more customized gaming version release)? I'm currently using 1080 Tis.

The "PC Gaming Master Race" calling was mostly born out of the fact that console gamers kept saying the PC was dead, PC had no exclusives, PC had no games, PC this and PC that. Rah Rah rah.

So we brushed that all aside. - If a console gamer feels threatened by such rhetoric, then that is their problem... Because chances are they are part of the reason of why the "PC Gaming Master Race" exists in the first place.

PC Gamers spend untold coinage, time and effort customizing, researching, building, upgrading their rigs, they deserve to be bloody proud of their efforts without someone getting all offended.

CGI-Quality said:
GameAnalyser said:

Oh God, I just get a little annoyed with comments like these on PC gamers. The efforts we take to upgrade based on the trends deserves more respect. Are you upgrading your GPUs this year to TITAN Vs(customized gaming version release)?

Potentially. Maybe not. It doesn't beat two Xp's. Becomes a little harder to justify that $3000 at that point. :P

That is the exact same excuse of why I have not moved from Polaris to Vega. Haha
Just ain't worth it.
2017 was such a terrible year for video cards... Hoping this year brings the goods.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Azzanation said:

Lets keep this simple. Explain to me that what I claimed as "Not everyone wants to game on PC" is a fallacy?

I already know its a true statement because the entire world doesn't want to game on PC, so why would I back down on it? If you can prove me otherwise I will happen to withdraw my statement and admit I was wrong. However the debates happening in here is simple as "No one will buy an Xbox when they can buy a PC" argument is a poor one especially when "Not everyone wants to game on PC" exists as a real thing. 

I just did explain it.
You asserted that those who don't wish to game on PC will gravitate towards Console.
That's false.

You have this thing called mobile, board games, pen and paper and so on.

I am not sure it is entirely possible for me to dumb down the explanation of that particular logical fallacy any more than I already have.

Your issue right there is how you expanded the topic to an outer territory. Mobiles, Board Games and other activities.

The Subject is about PC and Console. Basically what others are saying in here is "Why buy an Xbox when you can buy a PC" and my answer is simple and true "Not all gamers want to game on PC" that means there are many gamers out there who enjoy the console simplicity and will buy an Xbox over a PC. Other markets don't factor in here because someone that wants to play Xbox games wont be able to on other methods unless its a PC or an Xbox. 

Am I wrong here?

Or are you going to agree with the others and say all gamers don't want to game on Xbox, they all want PCs instead?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 January 2018

Pemalite said:
LuzerkBR said:

"with a lack of true exclusives, current and future-wise, there is nothing there on X1 that gives an incentive to pick one up.  If can play the same games elsewhere then why bother?"

In my opinion he meant that there is no reason (incentive) to buy an Xbox, not that there is less incentive, and I wanted to make my point against that.

30+ million gamers have found incentive to buy and play an Xbox One, blowing that argument out of the water anyway.

And how many do you think of those 30+ mil regretting their purchase now due to lack of  flow of  exclusives and creation of new compelling IPs?  Especially now, year 5, while seeing your competitors continue to release new ips and exlusives at a steady pace, And now also with new ways to play.  How many regret now knowing they don't need an Xbox to play Xbox exclusives? How many regret now knowing they bought a multiplat machine?  What was x1's last true exclusive Not on pc?  Halo 5?  Released back in 2015?  how many felt mislead by MS this far in on this gen cycle with MS's lack of focus on games?  Is it not the games and exclusives that determine what console you move forward with when purchasing a new console, Especially when moving to next gen?  I'm just saying MS took away any incentive to buy an x1 Especially now with their narrative being play anywhere and "the best place to play multiplat", but only if you buy the 1x?  Dont see how that's hard to understand.  

Last edited by BillyBong - on 06 January 2018

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

flashfire926 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
I can't believe arguments being presented in this listwarz battle.

1. XBL Indie games that also happen to be on PC count as exclusives.

2. Niche Japanese titles don't count.

3. Any game that sold under 5 million worldwide is a niche title.

4. Xbox is better because you might be part of the minority of Xbox users that owns an X, meaning you can have ever so slightly better graphics than a PS4 Pro.

5. Multiplayer games with online updates (and lootboxes, & early access development & on disc DLC) are more important than all the niche games that PS4 gets.

6. Rare hasn't made a good game since the N64 days, but we should all be hyped for Sea of Thieves.

7. We should be hyped for State of Decay 2, a sequel to a game that got 72 on Metacritic.

8. A game's quality doesn't matter. Only it's sales. (This is ridiculous. Isn't the point of a listwar to point out which console has the most fun games?)

State of decay got a 78, not a 72.

Viva pinata and rare replay were solid games.

And it doesn't make a damn difference if game "Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings" is on the list or not. Unless you're talking about solely japan. This would be the same as including voodoo Vince remaster on the Xbox list.

That niche Japanese game wont make any headlines, push any consoles or create any hype outside of japan. Effectively the equivalent  of putting voodoo Vince on the list.

Sorry, I accidentally got the XB1 Metascore for State of Decay. It's 78 like you said. Still nothing to get hyped over though. Games with wide appeal that don't get 80/100 aren't worth it IMO. For example, if a CoD game gets under 80 by metacritic you can be sure the game is terrible, because there are tons of unqualified know nothing reviewers on that site, that give it at high marks just for being a shooter. On the flip side there are tons of must own JRPGs out there with scores of 78 to 83, from metacritic, because those same unqualified reviewers write "I hate JRPGs the review". I mean if you make a racing game, any shmuck on the planet will understand it, even if he's never picked up a controller in his life. So if some random writer lands a review gig, for a newspaper or tech site, and suddenly has to review a racing or shooting game, chances are they will like it, even if they are a 52 year old non-gamer. Hand that same 52 year old guy a copy of Xenoblade and they'll pan it without even completing the main quest. 

Is Viva Pinata on steam? Because for some reason I thought it got a much lower score than that. Now I want to play it. xD

Rare replay is a remaster.

Honestly I still think it's a bit iffy to hype a game from a developer that hasn't had a good game in nine years. I mean, it's ok to look forward to a game like that. Just don't be like "ZOMG!!! THIS IS GONNA BE A TOTAL 9/10 GOTY CONTENDER!" 

I agree with your Atelier example, but what about Persona 5, Nier Automata, Ys VIII, etc.? 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 06 January 2018

BillyBong said:
Pemalite said:

And how many do you think of those 30+ mil regretting their purchase now due to lack of  flow of  exclusives and creation of new compelling IPs?  Especially now, year 5, while seeing your competitors continue to release new ips and exlusives at a steady pace, And now also with new ways to play.  How many regret now knowing they don't need an Xbox to play Xbox exclusives? How many regret now knowing they bought a multiplat machine?  What was x1's last true exclusive Not on pc?  Halo 5?  Released back in 2015?  I'm just saying MS took away any incentive to buy an x1 Especially now with their narrative being play anywhere and "the best place to play multiplat", but only if you buy the 1x?  Dont see how that's hard to understand.  

I'm sure there are some whom have regretted it just like some who regretted buying any console purchase. Most people who have bought a  X1 within the last year or so don't care if a game like Gears 4 and Forza release on PC. If they cared that much, they wouldn't have bought the console in the first place. Btw, anyone buying the console now has more than enough exclusives to play between now and the next big MS exclusive game, SoT. 

I can tell you the incentives of buy an X1. Play anywhere, xbox game pass, BC of 360 and some original xbox, best multiplat versions now with X1X, of course the MS exclusives people enjoy. 

MS was lacking in exclusives in 2017, but up until then they did pretty good and 2018 is looking solid.  

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

4. Xbox is better because you might be part of the minority of Xbox users that owns an X, meaning you can have ever so slightly better graphics than a PS4 Pro.

I wouldn't say the graphics are "ever so slightly better" than the Playstation 4 Pro.
Some games are showing some marked increases in general fidelity.

However... It's also nothing that the PC hasn't had since forever, in many cases the Xbox One X is still a downgrade for me.

Cerebralbore101 said:

6. Rare hasn't made a good game since the N64 days, but we should all be hyped for Sea of Thieves.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Conker: Live and Reloaded, Kameo: Elements of power, Viva Pinata and Banjo-Kazooie, if anything those titles are highly underrated, that's just my personal opinion though and you are more than free to disagree.

I mean, RARE is only a shell of it's former self, but it's a little disingenuous to say all their games are trash.

Pretty much agree with all your other points though.

And I must re-affirm to general forum goers that if a game is on a competing platform... I.E. Xbox One title on Steam or a Playstation 4 title on Steam, then by it's very definition it is NOT exclusive... So if you could stop using the exclusive label, that would be Mc'Great.

Remember, I'm a cranky old man that is mad that graphics aren't improving at the same rate as they did in the 90's and early 2000's. Keep that in mind, whenever I say graphics have barely improved. 

I didn't mean to say that their games are trash. They were still a competent studio back in 2009. Hell, they just might surprise me and make Sea of Thieves a great game. But to say that Sea of Thieves is definitely going to be a 9/10 game, is like saying the next Warriors game is going to be a 9/10. Microsoft has hyped both Crackdown and SoT up as these premium AAA offerings, because its all they have. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Sorry, I accidentally got the XB1 Metascore for State of Decay. It's 78 like you said. Still nothing to get hyped over though. Games with wide appeal that don't get 80/100 aren't worth it IMO. For example, if a CoD game gets under 80 by metacritic you can be sure the game is terrible, because there are tons of unqualified know nothing reviewers on that site, that give it at high marks just for being a shooter. On the flip side there are tons of must own JRPGs out that with scores of 78 to 83, from metacritic, because those same unqualified reviewers write "I hate JRPGs the review". I mean if you make a racing game, any shmuck on the planet will understand it, even if he's never picked up a controller in his life. So if some random writer lands a review gig, for a newspaper or tech site, and suddenly has to review a racing or shooting game, chances are they will like it, even if they are a 52 year old non-gamer. Hand that same 52 year old guy a copy of Xenoblade and they'll pan it without even completing the main quest. 

Is Viva Pinata on steam? Because for some reason I thought it got a much lower score than that. Now I want to play it. xD

Honestly I still think it's a bit iffy to hype a game from a developer that hasn't had a good game in nine years. I mean, it's ok to look forward to a game like that. Just don't be like "ZOMG!!! THIS IS GONNA BE A TOTAL 9/10 GOTY CONTENDER!" 

I agree with your Atelier example, but what about Persona 5, Nier Automata, Ys VIII, etc.? 

State of Decay easily would've broke the 80 meta if it didn't have as many technical problems as it did and if it had co-op. Otherwise the game is one of the best in it's genre (zombie survival, open world).  

smroadkill15 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Sorry, I accidentally got the XB1 Metascore for State of Decay. It's 78 like you said. Still nothing to get hyped over though. Games with wide appeal that don't get 80/100 aren't worth it IMO. For example, if a CoD game gets under 80 by metacritic you can be sure the game is terrible, because there are tons of unqualified know nothing reviewers on that site, that give it at high marks just for being a shooter. On the flip side there are tons of must own JRPGs out that with scores of 78 to 83, from metacritic, because those same unqualified reviewers write "I hate JRPGs the review". I mean if you make a racing game, any shmuck on the planet will understand it, even if he's never picked up a controller in his life. So if some random writer lands a review gig, for a newspaper or tech site, and suddenly has to review a racing or shooting game, chances are they will like it, even if they are a 52 year old non-gamer. Hand that same 52 year old guy a copy of Xenoblade and they'll pan it without even completing the main quest. 

State of Decay easily would've broke the 80 meta if it didn't have as many technical problems as it did and if it had co-op. Otherwise the game is one of the best in it's genre (zombie survival, open world).  

Open World Survival games are a bad genre in general though. They are plagued with technical issues, poor balancing, etc. I can't think of a single Open World Survival game that was released as a finished, well playtested, experience. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
smroadkill15 said:

Open World Survival games are a bad genre in general though. They are plagued with technical issues, poor balancing, etc. I can't think of a single Open World Survival game that was released as a finished, well playtested, experience. 

This is why State of decay 2 will be great because A. It's fixing the issues the first game, adding co-op  B. Unlike most of those games, which start as steam early access, this is backed by a publisher C. Unlike most of those Survival games, State of decay got a sequel. 

smroadkill15 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

This is why State of decay 2 will be great because A. It's fixing the issues the first game, adding co-op  B. Unlike most of those games, which start as steam early access, this is backed by a publisher C. Unlike most of those Survival games, State of decay got a sequel. 

So what kind of a metascore do you think it will get? I'm predicting 77-83 for State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, and Sea of Thieves.