By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - USA Today Says Switch Has Sold 15 million units!?

So wait, Apple sold through 223 million iphone 8 and X?? Or is that iphones sales for the entire year? If it's for the entire year, why did they only include s8 and note 8 for Samsung when they sell gaggles of other models??

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:

If they said switch only sold 10 million units, the nintendo fans will immediately say fake and bring out nintendos announcement of 10 million sold in 9 months. Now they would rather believe usa today instead of nintendo

Comments like this are so childish. Barely anyone in this thread are treating these numbers like fact.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Teeqoz said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Everyone pretty much agrees that it is 15 million shipped and not sold, stop fabricating 

I doubt it's shipped either. The Switch's supply has been tight all year, if it's 15 million shipped, then it's basically 15 million sold as well (maybe 14.5 million).

Its feasible.

Switch shipments at the end of Sept were 7.62 million and Nintendo stated in their presentation that sell through was around 7 million in the same time frame.

Another comparison is PS4 at the end of 2014. Shipment numbers were 19.9 million at the end of December with sales of 18.5 million.

Shipments of ~15 million with sell through of 13.5 million at the end of December is pretty viable.

But yes you could be right and its just a general estimate.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Teeqoz said:

I doubt it's shipped either. The Switch's supply has been tight all year, if it's 15 million shipped, then it's basically 15 million sold as well (maybe 14.5 million).

Its feasible.

Switch shipments at the end of Sept were 7.62 million and Nintendo stated in their presentation that sell through was around 7 million in the same time frame.

Another comparison is PS4 at the end of 2014. Shipment numbers were 19.9 million at the end of December with sales of 18.5 million.

Shipments of ~15 million with sell through of 13.5 million at the end of December is pretty viable.

Could be, if Nintendo managed to finally stop their supply issues.

mZuzek said:

That... doesn't sound true? I mean Nintendo announced 10 million earlier this month, for it to have sold 5 million in December alone sounds brutally fake. Yet the source and stuff seems to be pretty legit, so... weird.

Nintendo has sold 5M+ consoles in December many times before. The Wii and DS had a few 7M+ Decembers.

On average, when supply constrains are not a factor, Nintendo sells 2.8X as many consoles in December as compared with November. There were approximately 1.9M sold between October 28th and November 25th. Unless supply constrains are a major factor, 5M in December is completely reasonable, in fact, it should be around 5.3-5.6M (a little higher considering the 5 extra days in November added to the December numbers.

Although that 5.3-5.6 would be tacked onto 9.2, so I would estimate 14.5-15M seems reasonable. But supply constrains could knock this down.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 29 December 2017

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
zorg1000 said:

Its feasible.

Could be, if Nintendo managed to finally stop their supply issues.

It seems as though they have everywhere but Japan.

I think they will have sold 15.1 million consoles to retailers by December 31st (what Nintendo will report at this meeting) and will have only sold 13.6 million consoles through to customers by December 31st (which they might also mention at the meeting since it is above the Wii U lifetime sell-through)

High sales either way, this will be garnering more focus from 3rd parties for sure.

I also think they can ship another 2.9 million next quarter to round out the first 13 months with 18 million shipped.

Thing is: That 10 million figure that Nintendo announced was on December 12th. So, it had to be a few days before or on that exact day. They only way they could have sold an additional 5 million in less than 3 weeks is if it did peak DS numbers where it would sell over 2 million units on Christmas week.
I can tell ya right now, that's not gonna happen. 

PAOerfulone said:

Thing is: That 10 million figure that Nintendo announced was on December 12th. So, it had to be a few days before or on that exact day. They only way they could have sold an additional 5 million in less than 3 weeks is if it did peak DS numbers where it would sell over 2 million units on Christmas week.
I can tell ya right now, that's not gonna happen. 

It seems as though 10m was as of the 10th.

And yes, 15m sold seems too high, they are either shipments or just their own estimates.

Seems like our average analysts that can't make a right prediction/analysis... just 2 weeks after Nintendo themselves announce 10M these guys think it reached 15M... CRAZY guys.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."