By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - USA Today Says Switch Has Sold 15 million units!?

Stuart23 said:

Can only see this being true if:
1- The numbers Nintendo gave on 12th are not actually the numbers of that date,but it was set at beggining of december and then it went to sell a crazy lot during this month,or...

Nintendo di say the number was as of the 10th.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Stuart23 said:

Can only see this being true if:
1- The numbers Nintendo gave on 12th are not actually the numbers of that date,but it was set at beggining of december and then it went to sell a crazy lot during this month,or...

Nintendo never actually said when they reached that number. 12th december is such a random date to give a news like that so it does make the impression it reached around that date, but they never really made that clear.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Stuart23 said:
Teeqoz said:

Nintendo never actually said when they reached that number. 12th december is such a random date to give a news like that so it does make the impression it reached around that date, but they never really made that clear.

No, their press release literally starts with "as of december 10th". They made it very clear.

Teeqoz said:

No, their press release literally starts with "as of december 10th". They made it very clear.

They gave the announcement on Twitter, shortly after they published an press release on their official site,no mention about the date on either.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-switch-sells-10-million-worldwide

After that,Reggie spoke to Verge,again,no date was given: http://variety.com/2017/digital/games/nintendo-switch-10-million-console-sales-1202636150/

Another article about the subject,once again,no date:  http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-sells-10-million-units-worldwide/

But if you have sources suggesting that date linked to that number,I will be happy to see.

EDIT: If the second link leads to an error page it is because the Nintendo website is all weird and crashing down since this holiday. But the link is working,try again after a few minutes and you should see it.

EDIT 2: Just found the news release on the IR page and yeah,it does indeed starts with 'as of december 10th'. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2017/171212.html

Last edited by Stuart23 - on 01 January 2018

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

The actual announcement is:

"Thanks to you, #NintendoSwitch has sold 10 million units worldwide in 9 months! Here’s to an amazing 2018!"

This actually suggests end of November or first week of December at the latest since the switch released worldwide on March 3.

Around the Network

I highly doubt this

15M sounds a bit steep. But I wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo had 15 million shipped by the end of the year.

13-13,5M sold at the end of the year could have happend though. I can see that.

15m shipped sounds a bit more realistic

My prediction would be 13.5m sold and 14.5m shipped.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

rodea_sky_soldier said:

Usatoday is reporting: Switch is the 5th bestselling new tech of 2017 (iPhone is the first)and sold 15 million. Can't wait for the next Nintendo's meeting on january!! Congrats Nintendo for the excelent year!!

The rest of the top 5: 

• Samsung Galaxy S8 and Note 8 smartphones: 33 million
  • Amazon Echo Dot connected speakers: 24 million
  • Apple Watch: 20 million
  • Nintendo Switch video game console: 15 million

Fake news LOL, no way they been able to manufacture that many never mind sell.  I think the numbers are overly optimistic here.  They are doing well and hope they continue this route of good software with decent hardware and let that sell the system rather then gimicky hardware.