By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33
The Fury said:
If I'm reading this right, most people didn't like Thor? The original Thor. Which is odd to me. The original Thor had great things going for it and was very well made and entertaining. Great director, actors, good plot, good pacing.

I haven't rewatched it yet so will give my thoughts then but if this is the reaction to this Thor god knows what you guys thought of Thor 2.

I have yet to rewatch Thor but I had it on the lower end of the MCU rankings. I will say that I think the Thor series gets better with each entry. I really liked Ragnarok. Thor (the film) had to do a lot of setup and it’s also the first of what will be become the standard origin films that always feel more paint by numbers than organic. Even Hiddleston didn’t really come into his own in the role of Loki until Whedon provided him with a better voice (that has since perpetuated in Dark World and Ragnarok)

Around the Network
The Fury said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I was actually a little irritated by SHIELD.  They are ok, but they kind of came across as the unintentional villains in the middle while insisting they were the good guys.  

SHIELD in the MCU is an odd entity. The acronym was changed, the premised was different. What was once a International Organisation, was seemingly now a US programme which 'protects' the world. Not quite how it should be.

They act in MCU as a busy bodies, getting involved in things in reality they shouldn't. No longer a secret 'Espionage' division, more of a Registration Act than anything. Keeping tabs on super humans and if anything suppressing them. Only person who acts as the original concept is Fury and he wasn't even the highest ranking one there.

Of course much of my bitterness comes from the idea that Shield series started going on about there not being psychics in the world when 616 Shield has long had a Psy-Division, Mentallo is their product. And then Inhumans arriving, and they tried to force and elitist royal society as having the same problems as mutants...

The problem is that for no matter how well mapped out Feige has the MCU (something I’m appreciating with this rewatch), they’re clearly just making up SHIELD as they go along. In Iron Man, SHIELD is treated as something relatively new. In Iron Man 2, Howard Stark was a founding member and he had been dead for almost twenty years by that time. In Phase I, SHIELD comes off as a US agency until Avengers when we find out, they’re run by a World Council. Can you imagine the US allowing an international organization like this operating without oversight within its borders? Not even going to get into how the series further complicates matters because it seems they’re not told what’s going to happen in the films until it’s too late. Probably why the series has largely eschewed being tied to the films in the past few seasons unless it’s after the fact

Doc755 said:

I have yet to rewatch Thor but I had it on the lower end of the MCU rankings. I will say that I think the Thor series gets better with each entry. I really liked Ragnarok. Thor (the film) had to do a lot of setup and it’s also the first of what will be become the standard origin films that always feel more paint by numbers than organic. Even Hiddleston didn’t really come into his own in the role of Loki until Whedon provided him with a better voice (that has since perpetuated in Dark World and Ragnarok)

Hmm, interesting. I kinda of felt like it's goes Thor 1 and 3 about the same although Thor 3 was funnier but Thor 2 was pretty poor. It was as filler as you could get but alas, that time will come. Less said about that Whedon comment the better... I'm not a fan of him. You'll find that out soon enough. :P

Doc755 said:

The problem is that for no matter how well mapped out Feige has the MCU (something I’m appreciating with this rewatch), they’re clearly just making up SHIELD as they go along. In Iron Man, SHIELD is treated as something relatively new. In Iron Man 2, Howard Stark was a founding member and he had been dead for almost twenty years by that time. In Phase I, SHIELD comes off as a US agency until Avengers when we find out, they’re run by a World Council. Can you imagine the US allowing an international organization like this operating without oversight within its borders? Not even going to get into how the series further complicates matters because it seems they’re not told what’s going to happen in the films until it’s too late. Probably why the series has largely eschewed being tied to the films in the past few seasons unless it’s after the fact

Well said and some good point. You'd think an world protecting organisation which is has a huge base near New York is something Tony Stark and Pepper Potts (the weapon merchants) would know about. They don't seem to in Iron Man 1 or 2, not on how famous SHIELD actually in according to following films at least.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Doc755 said:

Hmm, interesting. I kinda of felt like it's goes Thor 1 and 3 about the same although Thor 3 was funnier but Thor 2 was pretty poor. It was as filler as you could get but alas, that time will come. Less said about that Whedon comment the better... I'm not a fan of him. You'll find that out soon enough. :P

Doc755 said:

Well said and some good point. You'd think an world protecting organisation which is has a huge base near New York is something Tony Stark and Pepper Potts (the weapon merchants) would know about. They don't seem to in Iron Man 1 or 2, not on how famous SHIELD actually in according to following films at least.

Thor 1 and 2 are about the same to me.  I originally remember Thor 2 being slightly better than Thor 1.  Now that I've rewatched Thor 1, I like it a little better than I originally did.  Not sure which one I will like better this time around.  Either way they are both movies that I neither particularly love or hate.  Thor 3 is definitely the best of the three, no contest.

As for SHIELD, the more I think about it, the less sense it makes.  I think in the comics they get a lot of their tech from Tony Stark.  Where does the MCU SHIELD get its tech from?  Howard Stark is the most likely source for a lot of it, but then wouldn't they be strongly tied to Stark Industries?  It doesn't make sense that Tony had no knowledge of them.  If I think about this all too hard it makes my head hurt.  None of it really makes sense.

Scores updated to this point.

Around the Network

Okay here are my mini reviews, watched two of them in the week, I refuse to rewatch Ironman 2, I am sorry.

Ironman - 9/10 - When it comes to origin films this is the best origin film I have seen. From start to finish I believe that Robert is Tony. The villain was alright, he served his purpose. At the time I thought they were setting up Mandarin with the terrorist organization in the film, and looking back, it feels like they did nothing of the sort.

Hulk - 6/10 - Despite its fault it isn't god awful, it just isn't clever or exciting like the rest of the MCU. I will say my favorite part is noticing where in Toronto they filmed this.

Ironman 2 - 5/10 - This is the most bland movie I have seen when I saw it. Not the worse super hero film, and one movie above the worse MCU film.

Gonna start Thor shortly.

This has been toward the bottom of my list for a long time — I think only Iron Man 2 was below it. It felt stuffy and silly, and Portman was woefully miscast.

See you in a couple hours!

Just finished Thor. Like Iron Man 2, it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

This movie actually reminds me a lot of Wonder Woman, which isn't that surprising since Wonder Woman is essentially Thor + Captain America. It's similar to WW in that the first 30 minutes are underwhelming, the last 30 minutes are underwhelming but the middle hour is solid (if predictable). There's a lot of posturing and pageantry on Asgard in the beginning and end, which feels like overproduced dinner theater. But the midsection of the movie delivers: funny fish out of water humor, nice supporting performances from Gregg and Skarsgard, and a surprisingly fleshed-out and effective character arc for Thor. There are actually a lot of nice character moments on Earth: Thor and Selvig drinking boilermakers; Thor mapping out the cosmos for Jane; Thor hitting rock bottom, and apologizing to his brother and accepting his exile.

The bad stuff: some clumsy special effects and overlong fight sequences; thin characterization overall; and, again, pretty much everything on Asgard and Jotunheim.

This is between a 4 and a 5, just like Iron Man 2. Where I was generous with Iron Man 2, I think I'll be stingy with Thor.

Final score: 4/10

I'll start Thor in a bit here as well. Maybe I'll actually finish this one before starting to ramble on. Though I suppose I already said plenty on it earlier, albeit from memory.

Huh...watching all these movies in order, it really struck home that Thor - the character - is really just the god version of Tony Stark. Prodigal son, top of the world, self obsessed, thinks he's untouchable....the only difference between them is that one has the brains, and the other the brawn. I suppose this is quite obvious in hindsight, but watching everything back to back like this, it really stands out.

Beyond that I don't have a whole lot to add to what I said before. The movie is a mixed bag quality wise. Heavy on the exposition at times, while simultaneously forgoing it for things that could do with a bit of elaboration. An good overarching plot, which is shoddily executed for various chunks of the movie. A fun, charismatic group of characters by and large, with a few forgettable ones slowing them down at times. Some grand moments, but quite a few duds as well.

Still, on the whole, I quite enjoy this movie for what it is. A fun little movie about a loudmouthed Thunder god who keeps getting hit by a car. I'll give it a 6.

Edit: Also, Odin is a massive dick, who would rather go to sleep, than have a honest conversation with Loki. The whole plot of the movie is his fault.

Edit 2: They really went overboard with the way the dyed Chris' beard and eyebrows

Last edited by Angelus - on 20 January 2018