By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Marvelous Marvel Rewatch (Now Playing: Avengers: Infinity War)

Best MCU sub-series?

Iron Man 1 3.03%

Thor 1 3.03%

Captain America 12 36.36%

The Avengers 9 27.27%

Guardians of the Galaxy 10 30.30%

Total:33

Thor: 4/10
Positives:
- Decent performances by Hemsworth, Hiddleston, and Hopkins. Rest of the cast is mediocre
- Some cool fight scenes
- Competently shot with decent visual effects
- A couple of funny jokes

Negatives:
- Dialogue sucks. Its either a bunch of expository details about how character personalities or is just generic
- No chemistry between the 2 leads
- Overall movie just feels pointless. Thor has a character arc but the plot is so mundane and insignificant
- Loki is nowhere near as entertaining as he was in the Avengers. His character doesn't even make sense in this movie. He causes his father to go into a coma and takes his throne in the hopes of keeping it forever. Its established early on he feels betrayed by Odin for not telling him the truth. It turns out he just put on some stupid ruse in order to make his father (who he previously hated) proud.

This is one of the most superficial movies I've ever seen. It works well technically but motivates no emotion in the audience what so ever.

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:
Positives:
- Decent performances by Hemsworth, Hiddleston, and Hopkins. Rest of the cast is mediocre
- Some cool fight scenes

Negatives:
- Dialogue sucks. Its either a bunch of expository details about how character personalities or is just generic
- Overall movie just feels pointless. Thor has a character arc but the plot is so mundane and insignificant
- Loki is nowhere near as entertaining as he was in the Avengers. His character doesn't even make sense in this movie. He causes his father to go into a coma and takes his throne in the hopes of keeping it forever. Its established early on he feels betrayed by Odin for not telling him the truth. It turns out he just put on some stupid ruse in order to make his father (who he previously hated) proud.

This is one of the most superficial movies I've ever seen. It works well technically but motivates no emotion in the audience what so ever.

The chemistry is really bad, you’re right. It’s a very superficial romance — which could work mind you. Just let it be two attractive people who want to sleep with each other. It doesn’t have to be true love, especially when the two leads appear to be going through the motions.

The Jane character is so thinly sketched too. It would have been cool if she was fiercely logical and loyal to science, and unwilling to accept the idea of gods and monsters — and then Thor changed her mind. OR she was a scientific outcast because of her beliefs in other realms of existence, and so she proved receptive to Thor. Instead, she’s just kind of perfect and boring, and her relationship to Thor isn’t bound to any kind of commonality or conflict.

I know I’m making a big deal of this, but so does the movie.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Smartie900 said:
Positives:
- Some cool fight scenes

Negatives:

The chemistry is really bad, you’re right. It’s a very superficial romance — which could work mind you. Just let it be two attractive people who want to sleep with each other. It doesn’t have to be true love, especially when the two leads appear to be going through the motions.

The Jane character is so thinly sketched too. It would have been cool if she was fiercely logical and loyal to science, and unwilling to accept the idea of gods and monsters — and then Thor changed her mind. OR she was a scientific outcast because of her beliefs in other realms of existence, and so she proved receptive to Thor. Instead, she’s just kind of perfect and boring, and her relationship to Thor isn’t bound to any kind of commonality or conflict.

I know I’m making a big deal of this, but so does the movie.

She saw his abs and she fell in love with the crazy, homeless man. It’s like a fairy tale!

Thor = 5/10 for me.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would (seems to be the case with most of us) and liked most of the characters.

MCU finally did a proper villain in Loki.

Angelus said:

Huh...watching all these movies in order, it really struck home that Thor - the character - is really just the god version of Tony Stark. Prodigal son, top of the world, self obsessed, thinks he's untouchable....the only difference between them is that one has the brains, and the other the brawn. I suppose this is quite obvious in hindsight, but watching everything back to back like this, it really stands out.

I didn't notice this before, but you are totally right.  I was surprised that I liked this movie a bit more this time than the first time I saw it.  One of the original problems with it might of been simply that it was in Iron Man's shadow.  Iron Man already did the same story and did a much better job of it.  It kind of gives the Thor movie a "what's the point" feeling.

Around the Network
A_C_E said:
Thor = 5/10 for me.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would (seems to be the case with most of us) and liked most of the characters.

MCU finally did a proper villain in Loki.

I'm starting to wonder if part of the reason some of us are enjoying these early MCU movies more the second time around is that we've spent the last ten years getting to know Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, Thor, Odin, Loki, etc.

I'm busy with the finals, guys, I'll come back to review Iron-Man 2 and Thor once I have time to see the movies

Volterra_90 said:

I'm busy with the finals, guys, I'll come back to review Iron-Man 2 and Thor once I have time to see the movies

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Me too, been busy but i will post my reviews as soon as i see the rest of the movies :S

No rush! Take your time!

Thor 1.

Have you seen who is in this film? Who directed it? How did Marvel pull this one off? 3 good up and coming actors, 2 Oscar winners, 2 'Sirs', one of them directing. This movie was setup to succeed.

Thor had lots of things I enjoyed. the direction, the actors and all that. I enjoyed it but at the same time feel there is something missing, not from the overall film but a thing behind the plot.

Think of this, the old Norse gods mythology states things like Loki being the Trickster God, and yet to this point in the film and how long the Asgardians have been around, it's like they are still young. Not have existed for countless thousands of years. Doesn't that seem a little odd?

Anywho, good film. 7/10 (sadly bought slightly down due to this being the start of the bogging down).

Fanboy things (other than the above). No Balder? The idea that Asgardian 'magic' it just technology we don't understand is bullcrap to the highest level. This was the first instance when it was hinted at in MCU that most of the stuff going on isn't magic, you don't just 'get' powers. Explain in 'MCU magic' how Thor is has so much strength unless he is of magic? Those in charge of the MCU for some reason seemed scared of the idea of saying 'because it's magic'. Sometimes that is the best excuse. Oh and them just being somewhere is space is a bit silly. Slight plane of existance next to earth would have been fine.

Last edited by The Fury - on 22 January 2018

Hmm, pie.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm starting to wonder if part of the reason some of us are enjoying these early MCU movies more the second time around is that we've spent the last ten years getting to know Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, Thor, Odin, Loki, etc.

Yep, not only getting to know them but also where they are headed, which is in great places, especially Captain America. It's just cool to watch their beginnings.

mZuzek said:

Also, this, yeah. Loki here was the first truly good villain in the MCU, it's a shame he couldn't carry that on to the Avengers, where he just became a glorified joke.

Loki had a plan and an entertaining personality but yeah, I was feeling a little like Loki was left behind in Avengers.