By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should also use a Cell Processor for PS5 (x86+Cell coprocessor)

Trumpstyle said:

"Moving to a different CPU - even if it's possible to avoid impact to console cost and form factor - runs the very high risk of many existing titles not working properly," Cerny explains. "The origin of these problems is that code running on the new CPU runs code at very different timing from the old one, and that can expose bugs in the game that were never encountered before."

Cerny is right on the money there. Game engines on consoles sometimes have a "tick rate" that is tied to the clock rate/performance of the CPU.

It's an extremely rare occurrence... And I would be surprised if any modern game/game engine even takes that approach in the modern era anymore... Besides, such issues would have become apparent on these mid-generation consoles refreshes anyway.

Trumpstyle said:

To me this is clear. Using ryzen cpu will break backwards compatibility. That's why I'm guessing ps5 will have 4 ryzen cpu cores + 8 jaguar cores if they go for BC.

And... Disagree with you here.

From a hardware feature set point of view, Ryzen should be fully backwards compatible with Jaguar from an ISA standpoint, so the real caveat is entirely performance based.
CPU's these days have a varying degrees of clock-rates that they can operate at to meet various performance/power targets.
There are dozens of ways you can influence that to meet backwards compatibility goals, possibly even use the power of abstraction.

Next-Gen is highly unlikely to use Ryzen CPU cores, well... Not the Ryzen we have today anyway.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 29 December 2017

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

My guess is that console games for ps4 are specifically designed to work with 6 jaguar cores. But this what Mark cerny said about this subject when talking about ps4 pro:

But surely x86 is a great leveller? Surely upgrading the CPU shouldn't make a difference - after all, it doesn't on PC. It simply makes things better, right? Sony doesn't agree in terms of a fixed platform console.

"Moving to a different CPU - even if it's possible to avoid impact to console cost and form factor - runs the very high risk of many existing titles not working properly," Cerny explains. "The origin of these problems is that code running on the new CPU runs code at very different timing from the old one, and that can expose bugs in the game that were never encountered before."

To me this is clear. Using ryzen cpu will break backwards compatibility. That's why I'm guessing ps5 will have 4 ryzen cpu cores + 8 jaguar cores if they go for BC.

This says nothing without deeper knowledge of how the majority of games for the console are programmed. It might be solvable with a simple patch and if it's connected to clock speeds it should be easy to have older games run in a legacy mode where the PS5 just locks it at lower speeds.

The tools that are used to program for PS4 should be old and standardized enough to make any software issue solvable without resorting to legacy hardware. I don't really think it's possible to program a game so statically that a newer processor can actually break it. Especially considering that the vast majority of games runs on multiple platforms and as such shouldn't be hardcoded to specific hardware platforms.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
Trumpstyle said:

Cerny is right on the money there. Game engines on consoles sometimes have a "tick rate" that is tied to the clock rate/performance of the CPU.

It's an extremely rare occurrence... And I would be surprised if any modern game/game engine even takes that approach in the modern era anymore... Besides, such issues would have become apparent on these mid-generation consoles refreshes anyway.

Trumpstyle said:

And... Disagree with you here.

From a hardware feature set point of view, Ryzen should be fully backwards compatible with Jaguar from an ISA standpoint, so the real caveat is entirely performance based.
CPU's these days have a varying degrees of clock-rates that they can operate at to meet various performance/power targets.
There are dozens of ways you can influence that to meet backwards compatibility goals, possibly even use the power of abstraction.

Next-Gen is highly unlikely to use Ryzen CPU cores, well... Not the Ryzen we have today anyway.

vivster said:
Trumpstyle said:

My guess is that console games for ps4 are specifically designed to work with 6 jaguar cores. But this what Mark cerny said about this subject when talking about ps4 pro:

But surely x86 is a great leveller? Surely upgrading the CPU shouldn't make a difference - after all, it doesn't on PC. It simply makes things better, right? Sony doesn't agree in terms of a fixed platform console.

This says nothing without deeper knowledge of how the majority of games for the console are programmed. It might be solvable with a simple patch and if it's connected to clock speeds it should be easy to have older games run in a legacy mode where the PS5 just locks it at lower speeds.

The tools that are used to program for PS4 should be old and standardized enough to make any software issue solvable without resorting to legacy hardware. I don't really think it's possible to program a game so statically that a newer processor can actually break it. Especially considering that the vast majority of games runs on multiple platforms and as such shouldn't be hardcoded to specific hardware platforms.

This discussion is getting slightly out of my wheelhouse. But what Cerny was referring to had nothing to do with clock rate or clock speed. What he meant was that newer cpu architecture run game codes at different timings than old ones. This is way for cpus to increase ipc (performance per ghz). But because game code running a bit differently on newer cpu architecture this can cause bugs when running ps4 games. 

This is why Cerny says this can make many titles not working properly and not "an extremely rare occurence" as you put it Pemalite.

But again this is a little above my knowledge. So I'm probably about 90% right here.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
Conina said:

Why? All my older PC games work without adding some pentium cores and some core2 cores to my i5 CPU. And I'm sure they will still work on my next CPU (probably Ryzen).

vivster said:

Why? It's the same architecture. Zen cores do everything exactly the same as Jaguar cores, only 10 times faster. Backwards compatibility issues were only ever a problem on console because they kept reinventing the wheel instead of sticking to a standard. Now that they finally adapted a standard they won't move away from it and BC is basically guaranteed with all new consoles.

That doesn’t make any sense. As others have already stated the Jaguar is redundant since the Zen cores already support the X86 instruction set.

Trumpstyle said:

This discussion is getting slightly out of my wheelhouse. But what Cerny was referring to had nothing to do with clock rate or clock speed. What he meant was that newer cpu architecture run game codes at different timings than old ones. This is way for cpus to increase ipc (performance per ghz). But because game code running a bit differently on newer cpu architecture this can cause bugs when running ps4 games. 

This is why Cerny says this can make many titles not working properly and not "an extremely rare occurence" as you put it Pemalite.

But again this is a little above my knowledge. So I'm probably about 90% right here.

Meh, let's turn that down to 10%. I am not as knowledgeable as Pema is in these things but I'm quite confident in my basic logic.

All games use the same base instruction set on the same base architecture called x86. Notice how the article starts with the words "backwards-compatible". It's basically built for that sort of thing. Between platforms there doesn't have to be any kind of conversion, the CPU will read the code as is and will execute it. They're generally extremely flexible too and can adjust on the fly. So if you worry about any timings that are somehow unique to Jaguar and have nothing to do with the clock for some reason, that too can be fixed by adjustments on the fly.

We're talking about software issues here and they can all be fixed by software tweaks since the architecture itself is compatible with each other. No developer will completely hard code everything specifically for a single narrow piece of hardware. Especially not multi platform games, so you can scratch all of those already as done.

Your worries already invalidate themselves at the base logic of programming.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Meh, let's turn that down to 10%. I am not as knowledgeable as Pema is in these things but I'm quite confident in my basic logic.

All games use the same base instruction set on the same base architecture called x86. Notice how the article starts with the words "backwards-compatible". It's basically built for that sort of thing. Between platforms there doesn't have to be any kind of conversion, the CPU will read the code as is and will execute it. They're generally extremely flexible too and can adjust on the fly. So if you worry about any timings that are somehow unique to Jaguar and have nothing to do with the clock for some reason, that too can be fixed by adjustments on the fly.

We're talking about software issues here and they can all be fixed by software tweaks since the architecture itself is compatible with each other. No developer will completely hard code everything specifically for a single narrow piece of hardware. Especially not multi platform games, so you can scratch all of those already as done.

Your worries already invalidate themselves at the base logic of programming.

Vivster pretty much summed it up perfectly.

Trumpstyle said:

If you can find evidence that points it to being a common occurrence where taking a game from the base Xbox One/Playstation 4 and running it un-patched on the Xbox One X/Playstation 4 Pro introduces timing bugs and so on, then I will retract my statement, because as far as I know... It hasn't happened. Ergo. Not a common occurrence.

Games generally don't tie their tick-rate (The heart-beat a game operates at that everything runs in sync with) to clock rate anymore.
It was stupidly common on the PC back in the DOS days, which is why old-school PC's had a turbo button, so that the PC would operate at a faster and lower clock to keep things that tied their tick rate to clock speed in sync.

Trumpstyle said:

IPC and Clockspeed are related.
IPC = Instructions Per Clock.

If you have a very high IPC core design, then you can lower the clockspeed to match a core design that is lower IPC.

From an Instruction/ISA standpoint Ryzen is backwards compatible with Jaguar. - The reverse isn't true however as Ryzen has AVX2 which Jaguar doesn't have, but that can be worked around easily enough I suppose, which I won't get into here unless I am begged.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 29 December 2017

Trumpstyle said:

If the timings were still THAT important for PS4, they wouldn't allow the boost mode for PS4 or all the dynamics (resolution, effects...) in many games.

The same goes for the Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Or for Switch docked and undocked.

SpokenTruth said:
I have to wonder if this isn't just an epic moment in trolling.

I doubt it. Pretty sure he has a legitimate belief in what he is preaching... Especially when thinking about some of the posts he has made in the past which have also been outright fallacious.

Still. Was hoping he would have made a reply by now so I would have something to sink my teeth into this morning. :P

Conina said:
The Cell as an additional processor would be a waste of money, that component costs could be used much better at other places:
- a Ryzen based CPU + a modern GPU is probably fast enough to emulate a PS3 (and PS Vita, PS2, PSP and PS1)
- if the PS5 is PS4 compatible: how many games would profit from PS3 compatibility? Almost all good PS3 games already exist in an x86 version (PS4 or PC)
- Sony and third parties prefers to sell remasters, otherwise PS4 would have PS2 BC by now
- most third party developers would ignore the Cell coprocessor anyways
- the additional Cell wouldn't only increase the hardware costs, but also the power consumption

Yeah but the PS3 launch model also had PS2 hardware inside, 2 GPS and 2 CPUS and it was possible

- 90nm Cell CPU

- 90nm RSX GPU 

cant find PS2 information about nanometer except for this article https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Sony-ueberarbeitet-Halbleiterstrategie-78735.html so was probably during this time

- 90nm Emotion engine

- 90nm Emotion eingine

today we have 45nm Cell processor and 14nm AMD CPUs and GPUs

Pemalite said: 

I think i gonna read your post and reply to you next year, cheers

Pemalite said:
vivster said:
Trumpstyle said:

If you can find evidence that points it to being a common occurrence where taking a game from the base Xbox One/Playstation 4 and running it un-patched on the Xbox One X/Playstation 4 Pro introduces timing bugs and so on, then I will retract my statement, because as far as I know... It hasn't happened. Ergo. Not a common occurrence.

Games generally don't tie their tick-rate (The heart-beat a game operates at that everything runs in sync with) to clock rate anymore.
It was stupidly common on the PC back in the DOS days, which is why old-school PC's had a turbo button, so that the PC would operate at a faster and lower clock to keep things that tied their tick rate to clock speed in sync.

Trumpstyle said:

You completely misunderstood what Mark Cerny is saying. He choose the Jaguar cpu for Ps4 pro because it will make all ps4 games run flawless and bugfree.

But if he had used an zen cpu many titles would not work properly. I'll make a longer comment below.

Anyone knows how I can just quote small part of texts and not the whole wall of text when I press the quote button?

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!