By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should also use a Cell Processor for PS5 (x86+Cell coprocessor)

The cell receieved well not only by first party devs. Other 3rd party mentioned they liked the challenege and what they could do. Point it they began to master the cell and ps3 multiplats became the lead system to develop for first. After a few years they became well experienced. Had cell continued with ps4, and being the no1 console, develpment would continue to flourish and who knows what could have been achieved. I hope ps5 does something different.

Around the Network

The next Xbox should use Motorolla 68000. It has blast processing. Ryzen doesn't use Blast processing!

KratosLives said:
The cell receieved well not only by first party devs. Other 3rd party mentioned they liked the challenege and what they could do. Point it they began to master the cell and ps3 multiplats became the lead system to develop for first. After a few years they became well experienced. Had cell continued with ps4, and being the no1 console, develpment would continue to flourish and who knows what could have been achieved. I hope ps5 does something different.

Nothing you said made any sense.

1. No business likes " a challenge". Because a challenge means spending more money and risking everything.

2. Developers got better because they had to after the PS3 picked up in popularity.

3. Why should the PS5 be any different when the PS4 is way more popular than the PS3 ever was? One reason of which is the easier development.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SegataSanshiro said:

The next Xbox should use Motorolla 68000. It has blast processing. Ryzen doesn't use Blast processing!

Yet. Never underestimate AMD.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SegataSanshiro said:

Remember when Nintendo used the same CPU 3 consoles in a row? Those were the days. It was a beast in 2001 but Nintendo couldn't move on until Switch finally changed that.

The Wii U's CPU was based on the prior 2 chips, sure. But it was still a radically different processor.

It would be like calling a Coffee-Lake CPU a Core 2 Duo, they are both derived from the same Intel P6 architecture dating back from the Pentium Pro in 1995, but they are also radically different.

KratosLives said:

...Where do I even begin with the rebuttal against this?

SegataSanshiro said:

Don't give AMD any ideas. They tried one silly approach (Sharing an FP unit between two Integer cores) and look where it got them. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Remember when Nintendo used the same CPU 3 consoles in a row? Those were the days. It was a beast in 2001 but Nintendo couldn't move on until Switch finally changed that.

The Wii U's CPU was based on the prior 2 chips, sure. But it was still a radically different processor.

It would be like calling a Coffee-Lake CPU a Core 2 Duo, they are both derived from the same Intel P6 architecture dating back from the Pentium Pro in 1995, but they are also radically different.

KratosLives said:

...Where do I even begin with the rebuttal against this?

SegataSanshiro said:

Don't give AMD any ideas. They tried one silly approach (Sharing an FP unit between two Integer cores) and look where it got them. :P

I know. I was being a bit sarcastic on how Nintendo was so stubborn with the hardware. Switch is such a breath of fresh air for Nintendo.

Funny how this thread is about putting x86+cell processor in ps5 for ps3 BC. When I think ps5 will probably have 4 zen cores/8 threads + 8 jaguar cores. The jaguar cores will be needed for backwards compatibility and can be used to run the OS (operative system) so sony won't haft to dedicate 1 zen core for the OS.

The jaguar cores will be only used for BC and OS and the zen cores for only ps5 games. Though I wanna add I'm not sure this is technically possible to do. But all hints about Ps5 says it will have BC (I think this is a bad idea) so sony might be forced to use 8 jaguar cores to achieve this.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
Funny how this thread is about putting x86+cell processor in ps5 for ps3 BC. When I think ps5 will probably have 4 zen cores/8 threads + 8 jaguar cores. The jaguar cores will be needed for backwards compatibility and can be used to run the OS (operative system) so sony won't haft to dedicate 1 zen core for the OS

Why? All my older PC games work without adding some pentium cores and some core2 cores to my i5 CPU. And I'm sure they will still work on my next CPU (probably Ryzen).

Last edited by Conina - on 29 December 2017

Trumpstyle said:
Funny how this thread is about putting x86+cell processor in ps5 for ps3 BC. When I think ps5 will probably have 4 zen cores/8 threads + 8 jaguar cores. The jaguar cores will be needed for backwards compatibility and can be used to run the OS (operative system) so sony won't haft to dedicate 1 zen core for the OS.

The jaguar cores will be only used for BC and OS and the zen cores for only ps5 games. Though I wanna add I'm not sure this is technically possible to do. But all hints about Ps5 says it will have BC (I think this is a bad idea) so sony might be forced to use 8 jaguar cores to achieve this.

Why? It's the same architecture. Zen cores do everything exactly the same as Jaguar cores, only 10 times faster. Backwards compatibility issues were only ever a problem on console because they kept reinventing the wheel instead of sticking to a standard. Now that they finally adapted a standard they won't move away from it and BC is basically guaranteed with all new consoles.

Conina said:
Trumpstyle said:
Funny how this thread is about putting x86+cell processor in ps5 for ps3 BC. When I think ps5 will probably have 4 zen cores/8 threads + 8 jaguar cores. The jaguar cores will be needed for backwards compatibility and can be used to run the OS (operative system) so sony won't haft to dedicate 1 zen core for the OS

Why? All my older PC games work without adding some pentium cores and some core2 cores to my i5 CPU. And I'm sure they will still work on my next CPU (probably Ryzen).

vivster said:
Trumpstyle said:

Why? It's the same architecture. Zen cores do everything exactly the same as Jaguar cores, only 10 times faster. Backwards compatibility issues were only ever a problem on console because they kept reinventing the wheel instead of sticking to a standard. Now that they finally adapted a standard they won't move away from it and BC is basically guaranteed with all new consoles.

My guess is that console games for ps4 are specifically designed to work with 6 jaguar cores. But this what Mark cerny said about this subject when talking about ps4 pro:

But surely x86 is a great leveller? Surely upgrading the CPU shouldn't make a difference - after all, it doesn't on PC. It simply makes things better, right? Sony doesn't agree in terms of a fixed platform console.

"Moving to a different CPU - even if it's possible to avoid impact to console cost and form factor - runs the very high risk of many existing titles not working properly," Cerny explains. "The origin of these problems is that code running on the new CPU runs code at very different timing from the old one, and that can expose bugs in the game that were never encountered before."

To me this is clear. Using ryzen cpu will break backwards compatibility. That's why I'm guessing ps5 will have 4 ryzen cpu cores + 8 jaguar cores if they go for BC.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!